I Have been Deemed Not to Be A Continuous Cruiser

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

Sorry I should have added to this that traders are restricted to the number of days they can trade on a winter mooring from memory it is 14 days in a 5 month period now this might be the reason the system does not work for them and needs to be done with different T&C than the standard T&C so call Sussie Mercer

See my above update just came as another thought on traders

John, Susie Mercer is leaving CRT and as yet no idea who is filling her shoes. As for trade boats interesting there have been quite a few refused some with a second boat/or unpowered butty with a standard licence. The butty passes all the tests and the one with RCT licence doesn't. Complicated if you need the trader boat to move the other. And I was lead to believe that its no more than 28 days trading at any one place now though I could be wrong.

Instead of all this manual (and apparently erroneous) logging I often wonder if, in these days of electronic tracking and GPS, this technology could somehow be used to monitor movement.

I keep my own gps logging through an app on my phone. CRT are welcome to check this against their records any time they wish.

Edited by tillergirl

Ah no - there's always local jobs to be had. My brother in law uses his HGV1 to supplement their income when he can't get fencing work and is never away overnight.

Sorry - I really should have started a separate thread on this!

There's always the 02.00 o'clock starts...

Meaning your Dave goes to get some zzz at about 18.00, to get up at midnight.

Or starting a 14.00 trunk run, getting home about midnight (but that might suit you.. :) ).

Good luck to him anyway, if you (he) needs some real, relevant advice, just shout.

Congrats to Dave!!

MtB

There's always the 02.00 o'clock starts...

Meaning your Dave goes to get some zzz at about 18.00, to get up at midnight.

Or starting a 14.00 trunk run, getting home about midnight (but that might suit you.. smile.png ).

Good luck to him anyway, if you (he) needs some real, relevant advice, just shout.

Thanks Luc - much appreciated :)

Does he ever get to drive a Hiab lorry?

MtB

(I need a BIG engine moving! smile.png )

tis early days yet and 35 hours CPC to be done and then up to 20 days to get his licence. I'll ask him about the hiab thingy (I confess to being a bit girlie about such matters - not a clue what that means :))

Just to be clear I was not under enforcement though I am not sure what status I was under but it was certainly one that meant I could not buy a winter mooring until such time as I had cleared up my non compliance of not moving 13 times in one day. Having re looked on my logging report I was also logged twice in one day in February 2014 on Gloucester and Sharpness Canal.

This all means that since 21 August 2012 when I was logged at Ferrybridge on The Aire and Calder until August 2014 (2 years) I have been logged 41 times but 13 of those are duplicates so actually only 28 in 2 years are correct. Out of those 28 I do not know how many were done when I was actually moored up as the system does not log if you were moving or moored.

How do you get a copy of a boat sighting log from CART ?

Email: customer.service@ canalrivertrust.org.uk

Something else begins to strike me here:

I am generally of the opinion that it is actually fairly easy to identify the CCer and that a huge amount of the controversy is generated around the little band who lurk between relatively close points, but having said that it seems obvious that with a low number of "logs" then statistically the likelihood of even the ardent traveller being within the same area twice must increase - if you go 200 miles, turn around and come 200 miles back over a period of 3 months I don't think anyone would argue you weren't navigating, but if you only got logged at the beginning and end (for whatever reason) it would appear from the data that you've effectively not moved for 3 months.

Ergo - we need a system to prove not only where we were, but also where we weren't which seems a tad difficult!

Just to be clear I was not under enforcement though I am not sure what status I was under but it was certainly one that meant I could not buy a winter mooring until such time as I had cleared up my non compliance of not moving 13 times in one day. Having re looked on my logging report I was also logged twice in one day in February 2014 on Gloucester and Sharpness Canal.

This all means that since 21 August 2012 when I was logged at Ferrybridge on The Aire and Calder until August 2014 (2 years) I have been logged 41 times but 13 of those are duplicates so actually only 28 in 2 years are correct. Out of those 28 I do not know how many were done when I was actually moored up as the system does not log if you were moving or moored.

Email: customer.service@ canalrivertrust.org.uk

I wonder if CRT would be interested in us providing the missing data on their records?

John, Susie Mercer is leaving CRT and as yet no idea who is filling her shoes. As for trade boats interesting there have been quite a few refused some with a second boat/or unpowered butty with a standard licence. The butty passes all the tests and the one with RCT licence doesn't. Complicated if you need the trader boat to move the other. And I was lead to believe that its no more than 28 days trading at any one place now though I could be wrong.

I keep my own gps logging through an app on my phone. CRT are welcome to check this against their records any time they wish.

Yes it's 28 days in any one place in a calendar year. But the 14 day rule still applies. So in other words, you can trade in each place twice a year only rather than finding a prime spot and staying put for 28 days in a row.

The thing is, if or when I take a winter mooring, I will simply not trade for that period. For us it's just an added thing, not an essential income so it's only me who's missin out, I'm not attempting to bend the rules in some way. Anyway, I'm sure they'll sort it out. I cc'd our local enforcement officer into the email so that he could help to prove we cruise if necessary.

Edited by Captain Zim

Something else begins to strike me here:

I am generally of the opinion that it is actually fairly easy to identify the CCer and that a huge amount of the controversy is generated around the little band who lurk between relatively close points, but having said that it seems obvious that with a low number of "logs" then statistically the likelihood of even the ardent traveller being within the same area twice must increase - if you go 200 miles, turn around and come 200 miles back over a period of 3 months I don't think anyone would argue you weren't navigating, but if you only got logged at the beginning and end (for whatever reason) it would appear from the data that you've effectively not moved for 3 months.

Ergo - we need a system to prove not only where we were, but also where we weren't which seems a tad difficult!

I'd be happy to update my log for CRT on-line and provide the missing data, the technology is there (could even put updates in the snail mail).

Surely it's better than waiting until CRT try to drag you into court to fill in the data. How much have CRT spent on failed court judgements?

I assume the 'problem' is the repeated sightings at Lower Mitton Bridge and no-one has spotted they are on the same day. It's a trivial mistake, like when Royal Mail tried to get me to pay a surcharge for a letter where the corner with the stamp had been folded over. Hopefully such mistakes are infrequent.

I assume the 'problem' is the repeated sightings at Lower Mitton Bridge and no-one has spotted they are on the same day. It's a trivial mistake, like when Royal Mail tried to get me to pay a surcharge for a letter where the corner with the stamp had been folded over. Hopefully such mistakes are infrequent.

Might be trivial to you as you were not the one trying to buy a winter mooring and it is at 2 different locations that I have been logged more than once on the same day. I was the one accused of non compliance and unlike your stamp it was personal to me as someone who for 8 years has complied

Evidence is beginning to show it's anything but infrequent. See this month's NABO News.

Well if you had read earlier posts you would actually have already seen what the error was as it was clarified.

I disagree it was trivial as you put it. Not only if you look at the log is it obvious the date in question is repeated many times and a 'blind man on a galloping horse' could have spotted it as he sped past but also it was conceded that when sequential sightings like this are noticed the person in question doesn't bother to check the dates, I find that incredible as that would be the most basic thing to verify if you are assessing if somebody has moved their boat sufficiently. Particularly when you tell them they are being referred for possible enforcement action.

No, not trivial at all and completely different to your folded stamp issue.

Edited by The Dog House

It's not infrequent though, and people brushing it aside with such remarks as yours are not helping to get it changed.

I have been contacted by 2 other traders with the same problem and have advised them as long as they do not have a home mooring then they can have a winter mooring have suggested they contact Sussie Mercer and have her sort out the problem with the licencing dept

This reads as though someone with a home mooring, cannot then apply for a winter mooring? Seems odd, maybe someone wants to leave their boat in a different location over the winter, people like me, who want to cruise more of the system than can be reached in a holiday from a home mooring?

Casp'

This reads as though someone with a home mooring, cannot then apply for a winter mooring? Seems odd, maybe someone wants to leave their boat in a different location over the winter, people like me, who want to cruise more of the system than can be reached in a holiday from a home mooring?

Casp'

Maybe you need to read the page about winter moorings where is it you want to leave your boat as certain moorings are fine for boaters with a home mooring? Give me the place and I will be happy to tell you the closest place

I got "logged" by 2 staff, within about 30 minutes, I was cruising at the time. Wonder how they recorded that. It actually annoys me that we have this big brother attitude where they insist on knowing exactly where I am all the time. I think they should pay me no attention and have no records on me, unless I do something wrong.

Casp'

I got "logged" by 2 staff, within about 30 minutes, I was cruising at the time. Wonder how they recorded that. It actually annoys me that we have this big brother attitude where they insist on knowing exactly where I am all the time. I think they should pay me no attention and have no records on me, unless I do something wrong.

Casp'

But how would they know you have done something wrong regards moving your boat if they don't periodically log it's location? (putting aside for a second the issues around it's accuracy and validity as highlighted in this thread)

Edited by The Dog House

Maybe you need to read the page about winter moorings where is it you want to leave your boat as certain moorings are fine for boaters with a home mooring? Give me the place and I will be happy to tell you the closest place

Ok, just misinterpreted your post then. I was only thinking, i've been trying to get back to a mooring, but keep breaking down, so it looked likely I would have to moor up somewhere for some time, but I think it's sorted now.

Casp'

Casp'

You will be logged as moored in 2 different places so hey it will show you moved unlike if you had only been logged once