Illegal fish stunning on CRT waters

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

That rather depends on whether their actually is some evidence that it was Eastern Europeans, if not then the cap fits.

By the same token where is your evidence for this comment???

There's a CRT guy here who was telling me yesterday that some Polish guys were caught at Rushall emptying a pound through ground paddles with an onion bag over it to catch the fish.

Any way i am now going to retreat back into the History & Heritage thread I am happier there.

Edited by Ray T

Even if it was Eastern Europeans, so what? Does the electrocuted wildlife care about the origin of the human perpetrator? I seriously doubt it. In that case, this is simple racial stereotyping, or in other words, racism.

I now fully expect this post to be moderated.

• Greenie 2

I take absolute exception to this comment and demand you apologise.

What a bunch of idiots some people on here are sounding to be.

I simply took the trouble of reporting to CRT and RSPCA information that was reported to me by two members of this forum who were very concerned at what was going on.

Do you condone the mass stunning of fish by anyone unlicensed as not being wrong?

Can we have your evidence that this was down to Eastern Europeans please? Rather than just being an assumption.

I don't condone the mass killing of fish but I didn't think it was an issue polarised on racial lines.

I take absolute exception to your apparently unfounded assumption. I don't expect an apology.

• Greenie 1

I can't answer that Paul as I do not know your wife. One of my sisters in law, born in the UK but has lived in Longpre Les Corps Saints on the Somme for 40 plus years and she is still known in the village as "The English Women".

It is a description not I feel not a racist comment.

Being pedantic, "probably Eastern European" could be perceived as slightly racist (or nationalist, at least) because the poster has leaped to a conclusion and is stereotyping- whereas "might be Eastern European" is not. Edited by FadeToScarlet

Even if it was Eastern Europeans, so what? Does the electrocuted wildlife care about the origin of the human perpetrator? I seriously doubt it. In that case, this is simple racial stereotyping, or in other words, racism.

I have to agree and you put it far better than I could ever hope to

Being pedantic, "probably Eastern European" could be perceived as slightly racist (or nationalist, at least) because the poster has leaped to a conclusion and is stereotyping- whereas "might be Eastern European" is not.

"Might be Eastern European" would still have no relevance. You could as easily say "might wear glasses" or "might be Man U fans" or "might be gay"!!!

How about this "it is believed by the authorities that those responsible might not be Eastern European." Any better?

. Why is it that every time someone high lights a problem that has arisen since our open door policy came about and all evidence points at a certain source do people have to start throwing the racist card about, it's pathetic, unless you are legally licensed to use electro fishing gear it is illegal regardless of the colour of your skin or were you come from full stop,so let's just catch these people first if they don't belong here send em packing if they turn out to be British then throw the book it's simple ,it is more likely to be Eastern Europeans as they eat course fish were as the rest of us like are fish from the sea and that is a fact it does not make anyone a racist for saying so , so just drop the racist shite its boring and self defeating

I would still have objected to the tagging of the OP "Eastern Europeans" - it will make finding racist stuff on CWDF easier for someone I guess - but if they have been caught I would not have objected to the description 'eastern european"as I think your description of Polish comes from them being identified and thus is not a racist catchall.

I should probably record my conversations if I intend to recount them but I don't so I can offer no evidence at all.

This is exactly the kind of assumption the OP leads to.

I see on a daily basis Eastern Europeans fishing the River Lea. I know they are because I always say hello. They never have a keep net or landing net. Just a rucksack. When I say hello to an angler with all the gear they are nearly always English. Call me racist if you want, I don't care but I'm not stupid.

Sent from my iPad Air 2S

On 1 Oct 2014, at 17:36, "Canal World Discussion Forums" <no-reply@canalworld.net> wrote:

fudd,

phill (http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showuser=21983) has just posted a reply to a topic that you have subscribed to titled "Illegal fish stunning on CRT waters".

----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------ QUOTE ----------

As I read it, CRT didn't say it was Eastern Europeans. LH didn't either. He said 'probably'. And he's probably right in my very humble opinion.

-----------------------------

This is exactly the kind of assumption the OP leads to.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The topic can be found here: http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=70473&view=getnewpost

I see on a daily basis Eastern Europeans fishing the River Lea. I know they are because I always say hello. They never have a keep net or landing net. Just a rucksack. When I say hello to an angler with all the gear they are nearly always English. Call me racist if you want, I don't care but I'm not stupid, they are taking the fish and they shouldn't be doing it regardless of their nationality.

. Why is it that every time someone high lights a problem that has arisen since our open door policy came about and all evidence points at a certain source do people have to start throwing the racist card about, it's pathetic, unless you are legally licensed to use electro fishing gear it is illegal regardless of the colour of your skin or were you come from full stop,so let's just catch these people first if they don't belong here send em packing if they turn out to be British then throw the book it's simple ,it is more likely to be Eastern Europeans as they eat course fish were as the rest of us like are fish from the sea and that is a fact it does not make anyone a racist for saying so , so just drop the racist shite its boring and self defeating

Passing over the risible fallacy of "open door" - I agree with you. There would be no discussion over racism if the OP had simply reported the illegal taking of fish.

Update:

as of now 15.00 RSPCA are on site searching for the equipment and interviewing moored boats.

Did the boats have anything interesting to report!? I frequently talk to inanimate objects but have never yet got an answer!

Andyway, it was probably wide boat owners in the first place. Narrowboaters just wouldn't do it. Could have been cyclists, most of the ones who go too fast on the towpath are from Poland. You can tell a Romanian by the fact that he's fishing on a lock mooring, and he's got a rucksack.

Andyway, it was probably wide boat owners in the first place. Narrowboaters just wouldn't do it. Could have been cyclists, most of the ones who go too fast on the towpath are from Poland. You can tell a Romanian by the fact that he's fishing on a lock mooring, and he's got a rucksack.

So what's your point?

"Might be Eastern European" would still have no relevance. You could as easily say "might wear glasses" or "might be Man U fans" or "might be gay"!!!

How about this "it is believed by the authorities that those responsible might not be Eastern European." Any better?

I was led to believe Man Utd fans preferred prawn sandwiches