Pianos On Boats (why not?)

FORTUNATA

Featured Posts

I thought I would do this post for anyone who may have thought about learning an instrument. Pianos on boats, why not?

So, there are now plenty of cheap pianos for sale as not many people want them. I know that narrow-boats tend to rock and bump a lot so many people will consider an electric piano safer. Or a synth with piano settings. Also those outmoded triple or double keyboard home and pub organs can now be bought for peanuts online - even a Lowry.

Here is the punch-line of my post: The main reason hardly anyone learns piano today is because it is assumed to be a long, time-consuming process that involves lessons, note-reading, graded exams each year and no evident results till a few years have passed. I'd like to state this is totally incorrect, unless we refer to classical pianol.

So far as learning to play piano goes, I can say with confidence many fairly decent piano players were self-taught. Gilbert O Sullivan simply put an old piano in a garden shed, had no formal lessons and just picked it up by ear. Same with Lennon and McCartney. Barry Manilow also was from a very poor part of urban New York and couldn't afford lessons so taught himself at first on a squeeze box.

Basically the big plus with music is anybody can make good music in the space of a very short time. That is simply because music is about sound, not complexity. Let's take one of the greatest rated riffs in Rock n' Roll, Can't Get No Satisfaction. This is just three notes on one string of a fuzz guitar. All it needs is a bit of muffle, a bit of a bend and a good feel and away you go. If you go to YouTube you'll find scores of great songs you can learn to play as a beginner after maybe 2 months, depending on speed of learning.

If I were to summarise what piano is in real simple terms, it's like this. If you wanna sing to your playing, you play bass notes with the left hand. Bass is often pretty simple - some organs use pedals to do the bass with a foot. Right hand you can use for chords. On piano these are either three notes banged down together or rolled consecutively (called arpeggio). So, if you wanna get good fast, you just practice playing a bass line one two three four and then fit in the chords. Or do scales which is murder at first but you soon adapt. Harmony line is then free to sing for which you need a microphone.

I should say when I started out, I was doing chords with the left hand, no bass at all, and then using the right hand for melody.

I've been at it now for about 2 years. Sometimes I practice for 7 hours and then sometimes I just rest and do other things. However, playing on the boat is very relaxing. I'd say all you really need to do is enjoy doing it and progress comes automatically.

P.S. Software isn't the same thing. It has a place but there is no substitute for learning to play an actual instrument. It's also important to get out of using 1 finger auto chords. Far better to just pick up real chords.

Edited by FORTUNATA

An electronic machine called a Sympathizer can be set to make plinketty plonk piano noises and would be best if you can't play a piano instruament properly, are tone deaf and are likely to make a dreadful din and bother folk within earshot of you, much lighter and can be got inside the boat without busting things.

And there's also the Pianola (also big and heavy) that'll play tunes all by itself, even the keys go up and down like an invisible pianist is playing it.

The player pianos, often known as pianolas usually have wonderful little air engines in them to smooth the air flow from the foot bellows to the air holes where the punched paper rolls pass. Usually they are 88 notes and as Bizzard tells us they very heavy. Great for ballast I guess. Our player piano had a little four cylinder air motor with a wonderful little chain drive mechanism. Being wider than a normal upright they might be a squeeze to get in a narrowboat but the volume of the Ride of the Valkaries at a fast pedal would be enough to startle cyclists passing by.

If you aquire one you will need a huge roll of rubber tubing, often orange, because the piano you get will undoubtedly have some perished bits. Rebuilding each valve (88!) with the tiny perishing flaps will also keep you out of the pub for a week or two.

You can buy modern music rolls but the old Victorian and Edwardian sing along pieces are fun. The words roll past on the paper as you merrily pedal. Good exercise too.

I therefore don't have a piano on the boat, and all credit to Bones who got one in there somehow.

Bones didn't actually put it in, but did a lot of supervising laugh.png

We have our own resident Piano man at Thrupp who does all things piano wise. PM 'Pinkio' if you need any advice

Over the last few days, my music has taken another one of those sudden turns in a novel direction. I just discovered boogie-woogie style. I think I sort of invented my own version of it. Left hand plays a very heavy bass using all the fingers, at various tempos. Right hand crashes chords in between the heavy piano bass notes. Timing has to be perfect and the brain has to split into multitask mode.
Why do I do it? Well, I soon discovered I could sound good doing mixing and multi channel overdubbing but, in a way, it's an easy path to follow. At some point I decided I would like to acquire actual keyboard skills because two hands working together sounds more authentic than overlaid channels (which is a bit artificial).
I started piano as a synth player and learned it a strange way doing left hand chords. Then when I got into vocals, I found that left a redundant right hand (normally used to play the melody line).
So, today I was doing bit of boogie woogie. I also winded up working out part of McCartney's Once Upon A Long Ago which is a terrific, melodic tune forgotten by many. I'm always amazed how simple Macca makes his piano but also very effective and classy.
Sometimes I just forget piano and do real heavy, weird psychedelic stuff using normal mixing and channeling which still has a place.
Good luck to Bones. Maybe she has an advantage as she may be a good vocalist. Some females have really great voices when they sing.

Over the last few days, my music has taken another one of those sudden turns in a novel direction. I just discovered boogie-woogie style. I think I sort of invented my own version of it. Left hand plays a very heavy bass using all the fingers, at various tempos. Right hand crashes chords in between the heavy piano bass notes. Timing has to be perfect and the brain has to split into multitask mode.

Why do I do it? Well, I soon discovered I could sound good doing mixing and multi channel overdubbing but, in a way, it's an easy path to follow. At some point I decided I would like to acquire actual keyboard skills because two hands working together sounds more authentic than overlaid channels (which is a bit artificial).

I started piano as a synth player and learned it a strange way doing left hand chords. Then when I got into vocals, I found that left a redundant right hand (normally used to play the melody line).

So, today I was doing bit of boogie woogie. I also winded up working out part of McCartney's Once Upon A Long Ago which is a terrific, melodic tune forgotten by many. I'm always amazed how simple Macca makes his piano but also very effective and classy.

Sometimes I just forget piano and do real heavy, weird psychedelic stuff using normal mixing and channeling which still has a place.

Good luck to Bones. Maybe she has an advantage as she may be a good vocalist. Some females have really great voices when they sing.

Nothing personal, but that may well be a matter of opinion...

That's because he can't really play.

Edited by Machpoint005

Nothing personal, but that may well be a matter of opinion...

That's because he can't really play.

McCartney just strikes me as a genius. I believe his keyboard skills are really pretty decent. I heard a track he did just on synth called Blue Sway, I think, and he seemed to handle a synth really well. This track was used by the Australian tourist and surf agency for commercials. As for piano, McCartney played one from his early years and can certainly deliver if required to play.

On bass, he is said to be outstanding and has a certain style that bass players worldwide admire.

I believe he plays fairly decent guitar and a few other instruments.

On vocals I've heard lots of people say McCartney can't sing but if that's the case where does that leave me? He has a wide range and a pleasant voice but, of course, age is now a factor perhaps.

In song-writing he's pretty much in his own class. I always thought Macca's edge was the fact he writes really sweet ballads but can still do hard rock numbers if he chooses. They reckon his Helter Skelter was the origin of Heavy Metal today so possibly McCartney created an actual music genre.

Little wonder he's loaded moneywise.

Dammit !! I've been trying to forget that song for years ...... now you've reminded me :(

ps .... this is piano playing !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=p-lsiDJWMsQ

Dammit !! I've been trying to forget that song for years ...... now you've reminded me sad.png

ps .... this is piano playing !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=p-lsiDJWMsQ

I try to draw a line between instrumentalism and good music. Sometimes they may merge but, on the other hand, good music can be very simple. I've seen Van Halen in the flesh and also Andres Segovia - virtuosos of their styles. However, some of the greatest melodies were based on 5 chords. I think McCartney always understood naturally not to dismiss something that's simple just because it's simple. If it sounds good, leave it be.

Bear in mind most of the greatest songwriters were average as instrumentalists.

McCartney just strikes me as a genius. I believe his keyboard skills are really pretty decent. I heard a track he did just on synth called Blue Sway, I think, and he seemed to handle a synth really well. This track was used by the Australian tourist and surf agency for commercials. As for piano, McCartney played one from his early years and can certainly deliver if required to play.

On bass, he is said to be outstanding and has a certain style that bass players worldwide admire.

I believe he plays fairly decent guitar and a few other instruments.

On vocals I've heard lots of people say McCartney can't sing but if that's the case where does that leave me? He has a wide range and a pleasant voice but, of course, age is now a factor perhaps.

In song-writing he's pretty much in his own class. I always thought Macca's edge was the fact he writes really sweet ballads but can still do hard rock numbers if he chooses. They reckon his Helter Skelter was the origin of Heavy Metal today so possibly McCartney created an actual music genre.

Little wonder he's loaded moneywise.

For the avoidance of doubt, I wasn't criticising McCartney as a songwriter, but he isn't really much of a pianist IMHO.

For the avoidance of doubt, I wasn't criticising McCartney as a songwriter, but he isn't really much of a pianist IMHO.

Someone did an article on McCartney's piano playing somewhere. I'm not sure if it was meant to be tongue in cheek. The blogger was saying Macca's stuff was so simple and songs like Maybe I'm Amazed were quoted. His best piano playing was thought to be Martha My Dear. I think my point is, though, McCartney seems to have always been concerned with getting the right sound than the technical side, I agree with that. I've done riffs on piano that sounded great to me and then I thought it was too simple so why not make it a bit harder to play or a bit more complex? Then, the end product sounded not as good as the original. I read a McCartney interview somewhere where he was commenting on the speed bass fetish and I think the point being made was speed alone doesn't make a great bass sound.

I did hear somewhere that when John Lennon did his song Imagine, ultimately he had a piano player do it for him on the final recording. This was because he wanted it in another key and that key was more difficult to play than the key originally used to create the song.

The actual solo piano big names I guess are Elton John, Barry Manilow and perhaps Gilbert O Sullivan a bit. It's said that Manilow was about the best of the three and he was also self taught. Don't think he could afford lessons at the time.

This morning I was surprised to find how simple Candle In The Wind is. Not only that but I have a suspicion Elton used an old trick of using the same chord basis for two songs because Rocket Man seems pretty close to Candle In The Wind. For example, John Lennon did this with the song "Yes, It Is" which is really "This Boy".
I've never really been an Elton John fan but will admit he is very very talented. I recall him back in the seventies when he was really pretty big and doing Benny And The Jets. He's one of those piano-based songwriters, maybe a bit similar to Barry Manilow.
By the way, recently there has been a cultural program to encourage people to take up piano so they had throw-a-way pianos on the street. As a crowd gathered, I took a seat and prepared to bash out a tune or two. However, it was a disaster. I wasn't used to playing a real piano and all the people were making me nervous. I prefer playing quietly on my boat on an electronic keyboard with lots of reverb so I sound better.

I think I read once that Lennon/McCartney only started keyboards so as to find some common ground when working with George Martin who didn't do guitars.