Boater with no respect or consideration for anyone else

KenK

Featured Posts

I've moored on lock landings on a delivery, but it's after dark, and I leave before daylight. I always leave the lock set incase there's some nutter like me working at night. Damn I've just shot myself in the foot...... I've left the gates open. That's the big firery pit for me when I snuff it :-(

If he was moored there longer than needed to operate the lock then he was in the wrong.

There is no evidence that he was moored there for any longer than it takes to snap a few pics.

Why would anybody claim somebody moored for ordinary lock operation was in the wrong, it doesn't make sense.

To put down and stigmatise the boater in question, there are myriad reasons someone would want to do this.

To use a fictional example, let's say I have an argument with you on here and decide that I hate you.. The next week I see 'The Dog House' moored at a lock landing while you walk up to set the lock. I snap a few pics and post them here saying that you were there for hours. The mob on here don't require any further evidence and conclude that the owner of 'The Dog House' is a dick.

False naming and shaming is a huge problem on sites like Facebook. There are hundreds of posts that go around with titles like "This man tried to steal my handbag, please share' or 'Police are looking for this man after he tried to abduct a child, please share'. An awful lot of these posts are false. People use internet 'naming and shaming' as a weapon against people they dislike. There is no way to tell if a naming and shaming is genuine if the only evidence presented is a few pictures that prove nothing.

It surely is obvious that he was there longer, unless you are calling the OP a liar which you claim you are not.

It is not obvious at all. There is absolutely zero evidence that he was there longer. We are expected to take OPs word for it.

Unfortunately in the age of the camera phone 'naming and shaming' and posting on the internet is a feature of modern life that we seem to be stuck with,

We may well be stuck with it, but we should in no way encourage it. By siding with the OP and declaring the boater to be a dick, people are encouraging it.

To use a fictional example, let's say I have an argument with you on here and decide that I hate you.. The next week I see 'The Dog House' moored at a lock landing while you walk up to set the lock. I snap a few pics and post them here saying that you were there for hours. The mob on here don't require any further evidence and conclude that the owner of 'The Dog House' is a dick.

But a good few on here think I'm a dick anyway so it wouldn't matter.....

But anyway I understand the point you are making I just in this instance happen to think I see no reason why it would be made up as some sort of revenge, call it a hunch if you like.

I have already made my views known as to the rights and wrongs of naming and shaming BTW, in that I don't agree with it.

Edited by The Dog House

This place is hilarious. I bet that if I posted a thread entitled "Someone gave me a free beer" there's be open warfare by page 2 between at least three factions on some subject completely unrelated to beer.

I do hope it wasn't l*ger

Richard

To put some balance into life- then you have to report positives as well as negatives

Has anyone seen anybody do anything good today?

yes, a moored up boater dun the Wrenbury lift bridge for me today :)

I think Delta9 is correct though re the naming & shaming being worse than mooring on a lock landing

5 pm and 8 30 am late and early this time of the year?

Brian you have the times wrong for late and early :)

Its 8.30pm and 5am

that's late and early

To put some balance into life- then you have to report positives as well as negatives

Has anyone seen anybody do anything good today?

Yes the Nen is quiet and tranquil and well underused.

Having looked at the photos it would seem that the guy who put this boat on the lock mooring, besides being a bit of an inconsiderate boater, clearly isn't the sharpest tool in the box either. Can anyone explain why, when mooring alongside some perfectly serviceable bollards, one would faff around using mooring hooks?? Perhaps is doesn't count as being moored if you don't use the bollardswacko.png

Having looked at the photos it would seem that the guy who put this boat on the lock mooring, besides being a bit of an inconsiderate boater, clearly isn't the sharpest tool in the box either. Can anyone explain why, when mooring alongside some perfectly serviceable bollards, one would faff around using mooring hooks?? Perhaps is doesn't count as being moored if you don't use the bollards:wacko:

Well observed - it does rather call into question the theory that he was moored to operate the lock and just happened to be photographed while he was there doing it.

If I'd found the plonkers who left all the top paddles up on every lock on the Wheelock flight (and didn't close the bottom ones properly either) overnight a week or so back, I'd have more than photographed and named and shamed them! And, when I got to the first lock to find the pound completely drained, what should there be tied up overnight on the lock mooring?

Got it in one...

If I'd found the plonkers who left all the top paddles up on every lock on the Wheelock flight (and didn't close the bottom ones properly either) overnight a week or so back, I'd have more than photographed and named and shamed them! And, when I got to the first lock to find the pound completely drained, what should there be tied up overnight on the lock mooring?

Got it in one...

Can only hope that the boater left high and dry on the lock mooring was the one who had left the paddles up, but probably wasn't!

Having said that there is always the possibility that whoever left the paddles open did so out of ignorance rather than malice (assuming that there isn't a local vandal problem). I had a similar problem at Berkhamsted Lock when moored above it quietly reading and enjoying a pint on board. Noted that the beer in the glass had developed a list (as had the boat) and upon investigation saw that the last boater through the lock had left the top paddle open. The problem was that there was a note on the lock gate advising boaters to leave the lock empty and the bottom gate paddle open, seems to me that the boater didn't know which was the top gate and which was the bottom gate so had selected at random with a 50% chance of being right (he wasn't). It meant that I had to spend the next half hour 'importing' water from the next two pounds above me to refloat my boat (and a whole load of others).

Well observed - it does rather call into question the theory that he was moored to operate the lock and just happened to be photographed while he was there doing it.

Well observed indeed. Perhaps he's just a numpty and didn't appreciate he was being inconsiderate. Not really an excuse, if you going to use the canals you should make it your business to understand the do's and don'ts

If anyone put a picture of my boat and it's location, and the fact that it's very probably unattended, on the Internet without my permission, I would be mildly irritated.

The moral of this tale is, don't moor on a lock landing, then.

Soooo, exactly where are you moored, when will you next be on your boat, and what sort of valuables did you say you had on board?

Well observed indeed. Perhaps he's just a numpty and didn't appreciate he was being inconsiderate. Not really an excuse, if you going to use the canals you should make it your business to understand the do's and don'ts

Apparently the don't was explained to him, but he either did not understand the explanation or chose to believe that rules and laws did not apply to him.

There's plenty of inconsiderate boating about.

I was sworn at by a boater, when I had hovered waiting for him to chug through a narrow section. He said my boat was 3 feet from the bank and I should have moved over more! but I had hovered for a while and I don't have the ability to go sideways. He was really rude and annoyed, too many swear words.. His wife looked suitably embarrassed... I just looked at him and said "you're a nice man aren't you!"

Casp'

We arrived at the lock between Alrewas and Fradley (Common lock?) to find a boat moored on the very short lock landing, lots of folk on board having lunch. There was perhaps 6' of free space in which I could drop Jeff off. I commented to the folk on board that really they shouldn't be moored there because it caused a problem for others using the lock, but didn't get much reaction. I then somehow managed to bump them a bit - can't think how - at which point the skipper stormed out into the deck. I pointed out that if he was going to moor there he was likely to get bumped by people trying to use the lock. He started up, cast off and roared off at full throttle but not before telling me angrily "we had no choice but to stop here". Presumably the lack of choice was because it was the only place with bollards, and it was lunchtime and raining. It was an Anglo welsh boat but I say that only because hirers normally know better. Sort of wish I'd hit them a bit harder really!

Have a green one

Bob

Went through Braunceston Locks with another boat whose crew didn't seem to have something there, mentality wise regarding paddles their side, both my sister and myself continually reminded her what to do...genuinely I think she may have had some mental health issue...maybe early onset alzeheimer I know not. Even guy I was sharing lock with kept telling her. Perhaps sometimes we pre judge, maybe stepping back and looking at stuff. I am mere novice and still accept any help n advice but what to do in this circumstance, know not cept hope all sorts ok.

On a plus they did rush to help when i dropped centre rope and didn't have boat hook...got one now!

actually reading this thread, its great that there are so many experienced boaters out there to put right mistakes of inexperienced or maybe inconsiderate boaters...THANKS to all...TBH i wouldn't really know what to do...yet if found problem, would have to moor up and this is where this forum is brilliant.

Edited by patty-ann

Coming up from Hungerford towards Bedwyn yesterday in company with another boat, I was a bit miffed to find a hotel boat moored on one of the lock landings whilst his passenger had lunch. But my miffnesss soon disappeared when the skipper nipped out and did the lock for us.

When we were on the Chesterfield we were told to moor on the lock landings as there was no other choice - and very little traffic anyway.