More Aldi offers

Pete & Helen

Featured Posts

Aldi have the satellite kit in stock at the moment, But just noticed this little tool that will help with your log splitting. Its on offer next Thursday

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thursday-4-september/product-detail/ps/p/foot-operated-log-splitter-1/

Or if you want to shred your newspapers and make your own briquettes

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thursday-4-september/product-detail/ps/p/briquette-maker/

The splitter looks interesting

The newspaper block maker is not very useful.....had one, it takes a lot of paper, a lot of time, a lot of mess (the ink comes out all over the place), they take a heck of a lot of drying and they cause a lot of ash in the stove, I tried them and found it not worth the effort.

The newspaper block maker is not very useful.....had one, it takes a lot of paper, a lot of time, a lot of mess (the ink comes out all over the place), they take a heck of a lot of drying and they cause a lot of ash in the stove, I tried them and found it not worth the effort.

Second that!

The splitter looks interesting

Agreed too. Had one lasted about a week and thought stuff this.

Some next door moorers had a log splitter - it was V.poor.

L

Agreed as well, you're much better off with http://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/products/gransfors-splitting-axes/

But then I really enjoy a Saturday set a aside in autumn of cutting logs in to size and splitting them with my gransfors mull and getting the log store all loaded up ready for the next years winter.

Could just be me.

I agree they are totally useless

Bought one 7 or 8 years ago, for use at home. Stored up weeks of newspaper, first you are recommended to cut up or shred the paper. Then put them in a large bin and soak well. Agitate and then squeeze out water without badly gashing your hand on a staple still in one newspaper. Fill briquette and squeeze to make a brickette.

Store in a dry place with good air circulation for months.

Discover they fall to bits and burn badly. Spot the batch from the hand gashing incident....they are pink.

It's quicker to chop up and dry hardwood, it burns and smells better.

Agreed too. Had one lasted about a week and thought stuff this.

Agreed as well, you're much better off with http://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/products/gransfors-splitting-axes/

But then I really enjoy a Saturday set a aside in autumn of cutting logs in to size and splitting them with my gransfors mull and getting the log store all loaded up ready for the next years winter.

Could just be me.

No not just you :-) and I lurveee the gransfors stuff, hand forged practical and beautiful

I don't have a gransfors but do agree with regard to cutting logs seriously, I would always use a splitting axe and a good old wood grenade I am a little bit of a club hand and recon I would probably break that splitter in a week or two ,it's quite a big difference burning wood to warm a house and those that have a stove or open fire on for odd occasions ,it would probably suit for them . I have a 12 kw stove in my house and it takes logs 2 ft long I think the aldi splitter max,s out at 10" so not for me though I do have a few axes and a mull from aldi and they have been sound

No not just you :-) and I lurveee the gransfors stuff, hand forged practical and beautiful

Haha spot on everyone looks at me like I'm crazy when I keep going on about how beautiful they are. My favourite one is my small forest axe such a perfect size for kinderling splitting down to small logs.

I don't have a gransfors but do agree with regard to cutting logs seriously, I would always use a splitting axe and a good old wood grenade I am a little bit of a club hand and recon I would probably break that splitter in a week or two ,it's quite a big difference burning wood to warm a house and those that have a stove or open fire on for odd occasions ,it would probably suit for them . I have a 12 kw stove in my house and it takes logs 2 ft long I think the aldi splitter max,s out at 10" so not for me though I do have a few axes and a mull from aldi and they have been sound

Wowser!!!!!!! That must eat through them!

Haha spot on everyone looks at me like I'm crazy when I keep going on about how beautiful they are. My favourite one is my small forest axe such a perfect size for kinderling splitting down to small logs.

Wowser!!!!!!! That must eat through them!

. Just a bit I,m tempted to line it with bricks to reduce the burning area inside I picked it up some years ago not knowing much about them but have subsequently learnt it will warm a small mansion and that my house would only require 4 kW so a third of what I,ve got but it is nice in the depths of winter

. Just a bit I,m tempted to line it with bricks to reduce the burning area inside I picked it up some years ago not knowing much about them but have subsequently learnt it will warm a small mansion and that my house would only require 4 kW so a third of what I,ve got but it is nice in the depths of winter

Hmm yeah bricks should hold the heat nicely too. Is it dual fuel? Cos I gusse a nice bed of smokeless coal would cut down the log comsomption too.

Hmm yeah bricks should hold the heat nicely too. Is it dual fuel? Cos I gusse a nice bed of smokeless coal would cut down the log comsomption too.

. It is dual fuel but I try and use as little coal as possible ,because I collect and cut all my own wood it's all about heating the house cost free ,so if it's really cold I might bung in a handful of coal to keep it warm over night but in general I try to burn wood only

I agree they are totally useless

Bought one 7 or 8 years ago, for use at home. Stored up weeks of newspaper, first you are recommended to cut up or shred the paper. Then put them in a large bin and soak well. Agitate and then squeeze out water without badly gashing your hand on a staple still in one newspaper. Fill briquette and squeeze to make a brickette.

Store in a dry place with good air circulation for months.

Discover they fall to bits and burn badly. Spot the batch from the hand gashing incident....they are pink.

It's quicker to chop up and dry hardwood, it burns and smells better.

Or maybe you just used the FT for that batch? To rewrite the famous saying about chip wrappers: Don't worry about last year's market prices, they're just ineffective briquettes.

I do some food shopping at Aldi, and once you get to know what to buy and what to avoid- don't ever buy a 39p meat pie for example- then it can be a place to find a bargain.

However, I can virtually guarantee that both of these items will be complete and total crap, made from woefully inferior and insufficient materials, and both will fall apart on the second outing.

Just bought the satellite dish kit for £49.00 today. My wife's been on the roof with her phone looking for the bloody satellite in the sky. So far no picture but we've had 3/4 of a litre of vodka trying to get the damn thing working so were happy, we've promised the kids Disney channel tomorrow so we better get it right.

Darren

I don't go to Aldi as there is not one close or convenient for me but I go occasionally to Lidl.

The racks of strange, clever and useless things usually keep me entertained for a while.

Over the years however odd items have come along which have proved to be very useful,

Thigh length waders, cheapy but they kept me dry and mud free. Quilted boilersuit, kept me cosy out on the Irish Sea in winter. Some very nice 12 meter dock lines, I only bought 6 and really wish I had bought more because these were cheap, very nice quality and soft to handle.

So although nearly all of the offerings are of derisory worth, occasionally a gem comes along! smile.png

Edited by John V

I do some food shopping at Aldi, and once you get to know what to buy and what to avoid- don't ever buy a 39p meat pie for example- then it can be a place to find a bargain.

However, I can virtually guarantee that both of these items will be complete and total crap, made from woefully inferior and insufficient materials, and both will fall apart on the second outing.

my meat pies don't usually get a second outing....

Slightly off topic (but an important point) but the Wine in Aldi is often very good value!

I rarely go to Aldi, but ventured into the Atherstone branch during our recent "summer" canal trip. I found Pedigree bitter, not a great beer but a good one, at £1.25 per metric pint bottle, and snapped up several bottles - only to find a couple of days later that it was on sale at exactly the same price in Tesco.

I rarely go to Aldi, but ventured into the Atherstone branch during our recent "summer" canal trip. I found Pedigree bitter, not a great beer but a good one, at £1.25 per metric pint bottle, and snapped up several bottles - only to find a couple of days later that it was on sale at exactly the same price in Tesco.

Metric pint?

I looked this up, apparently it's 500ml and is a measure sometimes used on the continent for beer, perhaps in response to British customers asking for (but not quite getting it would seem!) a pint.

Boo, say no to short measures.

I'll have my metric pint at the full 568ml please.