Axiom propellers

Featured Posts

In the science museum in London their is a whole section on propellers I wandered around it for over an hour it was all very good stuff their were props there that looked just like axioms the basic blurb was that prop technology hadnt advanced much in the last 100 years and wasnt likely too

Peter

Hi all,

I am thinking about buying an axiom prop for my new 58 foot narrowboat, has anyone got one and are they worth nearly double a normal prop.

Neil

No, but my feeling is no.

Having a good (including "good" as in well matched to the boat and engine) prop makes a big difference but axiom doesn't have a monopoly for that. As suggested I would be more inclined to trust a Crowther.

It's Axiom's complete failure to produce any evidence to support their marketing claims that leads to all the debate.

(In case you hadn't noticed this.)

MtB

Plus some reports from folk who have them. They are not dreadful, just not worth the premium price.

It's Axiom's complete failure to produce any evidence to support their marketing claims that leads to all the debate.

(In case you hadn't noticed this.)

MtB

I think they did produce a report about "draw bar pull" that was in their favour , but not much about other claims.

I know a couple that had a 70 x 12 wide beam, crap boat to stop even when going very slow until they fitted an Axiom prop so for them the extra cost was worth it.

Fred.

But the unanswered question is whether fitting a correctly sized quality conventional prop would have had much the same effect.

Our boat has a correctly matched conventional prop fitted by the builder. He knows his stuff, probably got the prop from a well known chandler in the midlands, not even from Crowthers.

The boat stops on a button, goes like the proverbial train. Paying double normal price isn't necessary.

If you don't know how to size your prop ask Crowthers.

As an Propeller expert, (airplane) and ship Captain, I would say that the axiom propeller look like it will be equally good for propulsion and stopping, meaning not specially good on either. and not very efficient if looking at planform or twist, nor airfoil, but for a propeller that need to be good at both ways, for low speed where efficiency isn't good anyway, or why not as a propeller for a bow thruster, I think it will be very good.

But as an good matched propeller it will be better then any bad matched propeller of any brand.

www.dalslandia.com

www.jcpropellerdesign.com

As an Propeller expert, (airplane) and ship Captain, I would say that the axiom propeller look like it will be equally good for propulsion and stopping, meaning not specially good on either. and not very efficient if looking at planform or twist, nor airfoil, but for a propeller that need to be good at both ways, for low speed where efficiency isn't good anyway, or why not as a propeller for a bow thruster, I think it will be very good.

But as an good matched propeller it will be better then any bad matched propeller of any brand.

www.dalslandia.com

www.jcpropellerdesign.com

IIRC the company that made "the King's new clothes" used a propeller as a Logo?

CT

The crowther one and the axiom are about the same price so how are we being had over, and if as is claimed stopping distance and reversing is improved it cant be all bad, but no I cant compare as its a new boat, but technology gets better all the time so why not with props.

Neil

The crowther one and the axiom are about the same price so how are we being had over, and if as is claimed stopping distance and reversing is improved it cant be all bad, but no I cant compare as its a new boat, but technology gets better all the time so why not with props.

Neil

Because the physics doesn't change. And props are an old technology which has been very well explored for over a century. In fact, some of the very first props looked very like an Axiom

So, Crowthers price for a correctly calculated prop with good customer support is the same as an off the peg Axiom?

Richard

Neil

Well as Daslandia pointed out, improved stopping is at the expense of reduced forward efficiency.

Is that ok with you?

MtB