Southern softies heading North - Leeds & Liverpool advice, please.

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

You should try it in a 60ft-er. When we first travelled the L&L, in '06 the locks leaked so badly that after nearly every set we had to pump the engine bay out. CAth got soaked standing on the back as well. But it's all worth it, we love it!

Bob

Ditto, a good set of waterproof trousers for the steerer are a must going down in anything over 58ft (we are 60ft too)

Our bilge pump gets a good work out too. Annoyingly it also fills our engine tray which the bilge pump doesn't empty obviously, I just have to extract it manually when we stop.

Our bilge pump gets a good work out too. Annoyingly it also fills our engine tray which the bilge pump doesn't empty obviously, I just have to extract it manually when we stop.

Yep, that caused a real heart stopping moment. I had left a bowl in the bund from doing an oil change. The bowl floated when the bund filled, made its way to the front of the engine and came into contact with the front pulley. The noise was very frightening, but no damage done except to nerves.

Bob

What a lot of advice - so much to take in!

We have also had a face to face session with Derek Porteous, who is moored with us here at the Dover Locks Inn, a few miles short of Wigan.

What I should say is, that despite everything we promised ourselves about this year, we are on the absolute margins of whether the trip we want to do is possible, because we are ultimately committed to being at other places much further South in significantly under 3 weeks time. So whilst I appreciate all the "linger and savour the sights", advice, for us it simply isn't possible this time - it has to be a fairly whistle-stop tour this time.

I think we have almost concluded a detailed plan isn't going to work, but do need to satisfy ourselves we can do it all.

A very rough plan might now be for our next overnight stops to be.....

Tuesday 5th - Johnson's Hillock (top possibly)

Weds 6th - Hapton

Thur 7th - Greenberfield (again, top, possibly)

Fri 8th - Skipton

Sat 9th - Saltaire

Sun 10th - Not sure - but somewhere ready to run through Leeds.

So what have we got badly wrong, please?

Many thanks to all who have given such detailed advice - the forum is just great when it works this well.

EDIT: Chalice is a 50 foot boat, so flooded endine rooms or decks should hopefully be avoidable, (unless it rains like it did when we were on the Middlewich branch!)

Edited by alan_fincher

I think the bottom of Johnson's Hillock would be more realistic than the top, unless you get that early start up Wigan and have a clear run.

It's a pleasant enough spot, even if dominated somewhat by the (tasteful) large modern hoses on the offside bank.

Tim

Can I just say that these have all been fantastically useful posts as I'm just about to embark on my first trip over the Leeds and Liverpool, but East -> West.

I've a 54' narrowboat and will be single handed from Leeds to Wigan. I don't mind single handing even if the locks and bridges are tough. I just get flustered if I feel I'm holding other people up.

Anyway... hopefully I'll be leaving Leeds next Monday (11th) I'm reckoning on 8 or 9 days to get to Wigan. Then I have a date with the Ribble, booked to be crossing on Sunday 24th.

NilesMI, NB Take Five

A very rough plan might now be for our next overnight stops to be.....

Tuesday 5th - Johnson's Hillock (top possibly)

Weds 6th - Hapton

Thur 7th - Greenberfield (again, top, possibly)

Fri 8th - Skipton

Sat 9th - Saltaire

Sun 10th - Not sure - but somewhere ready to run through Leeds.

So which way are you heading after Leeds?

So which way are you heading after Leeds?

Rochdale, we hope, (yes, we have just found out we need to book it - trouble is we don't yet know when!), then Ashton, Peak Forest, Macc, T&M

I think your Johnsons Hillock to Hapton the day after is going a bit too slow.

We did Johnsons top lock to the further side of Burnley in a day, albeit a long 12 hour day.

CanalPlanAC says 8hrs 38mins from Johnson's Hillock top to Hapton (22 miles, 7 locks).

(That's using our own slightly adjusted planning assumptions.)

Rochdale, we hope, (yes, we have just found out we need to book it - trouble is we don't yet know when!), then Ashton, Peak Forest, Macc, T&M

Give Lemontoes' EOG mooring a wave as you pass it just before bridge 10 on the Macc then (her mum's garden). Lemontoes and I will be at the Market Drayton floating market the same weekend that you will be at Alvecote

We stop at the Dover Lock inn, and pray for rain to go up the locks. But we have stopped around the bottom of the flight with no problems. Do not get into an argument with the scrots as it solves nothing. I carry sweets to throw to them. Steak and cowheel pies from Wigan market. Sarsaparilla on Blackburn market. Hot black puddings from Burnley market. Barnolswick has good cafes. Skipton springs branch for hot pork pies to die for. Visit Leeds center and market. If you have time Liverpool is well worth a visit.

If you stop at Burnley, do so at the old historic wharf - safe mooring - before the old toll house and the embankment. Nelson & Colne had some shifty hoodies on the towpath but we moored there for the night safely in 2005. Do stop at Salterforth Bridge No 151 - the Anchor Inn has stalactites in the cellar - ask the bar staff to show you! - also the double arch bridge is unique. Great village pubs to stop near

So what have we got badly wrong, please?

You may need a phrase book !!smile.png

Enjoy it Alan, some seriously magnificent scenery in those parts. The L&L and Rochdale both have a great combination of the remains of our industrial past, and the natural beauty of the Pennines.

Don't miss the Abbey (ex-mortuary and reputably haunted!) the nearby the Rodley Barge, the Railway are good pubs too. Don't pay the security guard if he tries to screw you for a mooring fee in Leeds Basin.

Good luck, safe and happy cruising cheers.gif

I take it you didn't think to try your CRT key? Last time we moored there (which admittedly is a while ago now) ours operated the lock on that gate no problem, or things may have changed of course.

It lets you direct into Morrison's car park.

Ed. Cross post with Janet.

No, the burned out narrow boat, the badly overgrown trees/shrubs and the rusty looking lock & chain made the towpath look a better bet.

Just past bridge 134 ( Barden Lane ) is Reedley marina, there is a bar, food, diesel, pump out etc and a really good indian called the Shapla- if you like these.

Its also only a few miles from Barrowford bottom lock.

Reedley is a nice safe place to moor as well.

Have a good trip.

We stopped for the night a few yards north of the marina. The towpath was very busy with Asians who were I assume were going to/from Friday Prayers until late but it felt perfectly safe and lovely mooring.

Having come from Liverpool we spent the night before the 21 on the mooring rings opposite the dry dock & CaRT offices. Busy with walkers and cyclists (but then so is much of this canal) but lovely and quiet at night.

All the locks are a pig compared with most narrow ones but no worse than the K&A apart from the shorter length and regrettably a fully working set of paddles is almost the exception. In my view absolutely no point in rushing the 21, you will only get tired and make mistakes. We stopped for lunch in the pound advised in Nicks but got chased on by CaRT. I think it only took us about 7 hours but that was with the single hander CaRT chased us to accompany up the flight. This meant that with my knee there was no hope of setting locks ahead and the odd one was leaking badly. (No complaints about the single hander who clambered about and did his share - also apparently on pain killers.)

Blackburn was dire in my view and best passed early in the day much litter and evidence of alcohol abuse around some of the locks.

Morrisons by the canal in Colne but their moorings padlocked up. Felt it safer to guard the boat while Jen went shopping, also had to hold the boat, no rings and banks shallow.

The Shroppie has nothing on this canal when attempting to moor out in the sticks, even some piled banks have great bolders underwater stopping you getting into the side.

Once up Barrowfield locks things feel far safer but mooring difficult in most country places all the way (not got beyond Rodley yet).

Barnoldswick worth a visit probably easiest to moor at Bridge 154A and walk or bus into town. Mooring rings at Coat Wharf just south of the bridge.

Water point at Gargrave is marked as U/S but CaRT fail to mark the tap on the outside off the sanitary station.

Silsden boats have notice about not selling diesel so top up at Skipton.

Water point at Riddleston U/S, no apparent alternative. Moor a bit further on from the marked visitor mooring close to Puffer Parts and walk to East RIddleston Hall (NT) and bus to Keighley. Try to be there on a Saturday or Sunday for the open top bus Bronte tour (with commentary). (£2 all day for magic bus pass holders and not much much more full fare - hop on and off all day.

Once east of Skipton several yards that our Nicks list a supplying diesel and pump out appear now closed or you need to actually ask. Rodley Boat Centre only supply in 20 litre drums so maybe Apperley Bridge marina (closed Tues & Thurs) is a better bet.

If you have the magic pass it is also worth looking up the special "Sunday & bank holiday" bus services in the Gargrave area, well worth a visit to Malham for a walk to the Tarn and if you are energetic on up to the limestone pavement.

At 54ft I am not very happy going uphill in the locks, especially the staircases where ground paddles are U/S. Despite the baffles it looks as if it would be too easy to flood the well deck (another reason for 7 hours up the 21).

Despite what I say a very well worthwhile canal but if I come North again it may be via the Huddersfield Narrow!

Having done both the Huddersfield and L and LC twice I think the Huddersfield is harder

Peter

Try the Mason's Arms at Gargrave.

Great food

Great beer

Friendly efficient staff

Friendly locals

Latest trip advisor comments less complementary, but as per my critique in May, we had a great vist with 6 of us having 5 different meals, all good. Our beautiful GSD well received.

No, the burned out narrow boat, the badly overgrown trees/shrubs and the rusty looking lock & chain made the towpath look a better bet.

You make it sound like Beirut on a bad day, it wasn't that bad when we last passed, though it is one of the few places we picked up a right prop full once as hire boaters.

Edited by The Dog House