buying a boat with no licence

carlgulliver

Featured Posts

Hey guys simple question for you guys hopefully :) Basically i have bought a boat with a 2 year BSS left but no licence but need to move it next weekend how do i go about doing this as they require me to send off a copy of the BSS and wait for it to posted but i don't have time for this can you do a tempory licence to get it back to a marina and then licence it properly or wouldn't that work? Any advice greatly appreciated as I am a little confused? Thanks in advance

Hey guys simple question for you guys hopefully smile.png Basically i have bought a boat with a 2 year BSS left but no licence but need to move it next weekend how do i go about doing this as they require me to send off a copy of the BSS and wait for it to posted but i don't have time for this can you do a tempory licence to get it back to a marina and then licence it properly or wouldn't that work? Any advice greatly appreciated as I am a little confused? Thanks in advance

Wouldn't the most sensible thing be to phone C&RT licencing first thing in the morning? You have no guarantee that you will get a unanimous response here and as time appears to be of the essence........

Howard

As has been said...call CaRT by phone..

I think (from memory) ..you will have to pay from whenever the last license ran out...PROVIDING the last owner did not run up any fines..in which case they have to be paid.

If you have BSS and insurance I don't think you have anything to lose by moving the boat to the marina without a licence and sorting it out afterwards. Of course having a licence is a legal requirement but in practice if you were reported for no licence CRT would only ask you to buy one which you intend to do anyway. But I am just a bloke on the internet so don't trust what I say!

I was in a similar position a couple of months back and had similar worries. I also didn't (and still don't) have the physical BSS certificate. It turns out that you don't need to send this with your license application, you just need the BSS cert number and the examiner PIN number. I rang CRT licensing and they were able to give me both of these numbers off their database after I gave them the name and registration number of my boat.

When I set off to bring her to my home mooring, I hadn't recieved the license paperwork (I'd only sent the forms off a couple of days before), so I kept a photocopy of all the paperwork sent in with me, just in case I got challenged for it.

As it happens, it took me a week to get to my mooring and I had expired licences in the windows the whole way. I encountered a fair few CRT staff along the way and none of them mentioned my expired licenses. Thats far from a guarantee that it's safe to just set off without a license, but I felt confident that my photocopies of the paperwork and a friendly smile would see me through as I'd sent the paperwork and cheque already.

Hope that helps a little

Cheers,

Andy

Edited by SneekyD

If you are worried - quite a few marinas offer a licensing service (will complete the forms, give you a receipt, and forward the paperwork to C&RT, C&RT will - about a week later - phone you for your credi card details)

Presumably the boat is currently on a non C&RT waterway, or Marina ?

As it is now past the 1st of the month, if you licence your boat today you will not get the early payment discount (£100's depending on your boat size),

Licence it on a one month 'visitor' licence (£10's)

When you get to your new marina, licence the boat from 1st September, and you will get the early payment discount (which will be about the same as your 'discount' and you will therefore get 13 months for the price of 12)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

When we bought our boat the licence had expired, I took the form and cheque to the BW/CRT Fazeley office and they checked it all and then sent it off to Leeds, and provide me with a "licence applied for" receipt to display next to the expired licence. It was like that for a month or so before the new licences arrived. I assume they took so long as it was a change of ownership and I was a new customer, since then renewing on-line the new licences have always come in a couple of days.

I moved my boat after I bought it without a licence 3 years ago. The marina I bought if from told me it was licenced and I believed them.CRT caught up with me on the 3rd day and put a yellow warning notice on the boat. Sorted it out the following week.

So from this experiance the worst that will happen is you get a warning notice stuck on your boat ( and funny looks by other boaters !).

We brought a boat that didn't have a license and even though we got it at the end of July in order to move it we had to pay from the 1st July - we didn't have the license when we moved the boat but I had e-mailed the CRT with the forms and payment etc and got a e-mail confirmation that the license application had been received and was in process - therefore when I spoke to CRT on the phone they said I could move the boat and put a sign in the window of the boat on both sides saying license in application - we got the license 2 days later - but we had the money taken out for the license before we received it - so we were legit.

I know there are lots of boats on the cut without them but I was not going to risk it

I think (from memory) ..you will have to pay from whenever the last license ran out...PROVIDING the last owner did not run up any fines..in which case they have to be paid.

You don't pay anyone else's licence time, just from the full month you buy in.

Fines etc are completely separate from the licence, whatever certain CRT and ex CRT people would have you believe.

You definitely only need to license it from the day you have the receipt and paperwork i.e. it is yours. When I bought mine there was 18 months of back license fees due but that was the sellers problem, CRT asked me for his address from the paperwork as he had left the address they had.

or

you can get the discount if you state you want it to start from the first day of the next month and pay before that date but of course to absolutely 'legal' the boat has to be off C&RT's water

Thanks for all your great answers and help. Sounds easier and less stressful than i originally thought :) I will pop up to Fazeley office as John67676 did and hopefully sort it that way as it sounds the eaiest. Thanks again guys, fantastic service I hope one day I can be heling some of you guys when I get abit more knowledge.

What fines might they be then?

CRT have no legal right to impose fines as I undertstand it. They have the power to levy overstay charges but these are not fines and CRT a careful npot to describe them as such.

The previous licenceholder will be liable for these, not the new owner.

Another point to consider is that enforcement action for having no license usually takes months to take effect, by which time you will probably have completed and submitted your (backdated to now) licence application ;)

MtB