Boat size

Mrs Paxo

Featured Posts

Mrs Paxo, on 27 Jun 2014 - 10:31 AM, said:Mrs Paxo, on 27 Jun 2014 - 10:31 AM, said:

I am sure that this question has been asked many many times on a forum like this but here goes. What is the maximum size narrowboat that can cruise the whole canal system? Thanks in advance.

57/58 is generally regarded as the 'go anywhere' length.

ed feet that is.

Edited by The Dog House

Anything longer than 57 feet and you're stuffed.

There are one or two shorter locks but they tend to be at obscure extremities of the system.

Welcome to the forum. You should get some sage advice from people who really know their onions.

57' is the oft-quoted figure for "very nearly the entire system" but this can be stretched to perhaps 59' for the short locks in the North east, because they are wide locks and the boat can fit diagonally. That's why we got 59', but we have yet to visit the NE to test the theory.

The counter question (before someone points out an obscure bridge, shallow bit, tight bend or short lock) is - will you be able to cruise the whole system?

We cant, we don't have the time. We rarely get outside the Midlands so a 70' boat is fine

Richard

I am sure that this question has been asked many many times on a forum like this but here goes. What is the maximum size narrowboat that can cruise the whole canal system? Thanks in advance.

If you plan to cruise the 'whole system' you also need to consider beam (width) the maximum beam would be 7 foot, so forget the idea of a 9, 10 or 12 foor widebeam.

So that's what Mr Paxo will be doing after Newsnight? Can't think of a better way for him to get away from the stresses of high level journalism. But I pity Richard Parry if Paxo turns up at one of those boater questions sessions.

So that's what Mr Paxo will be doing after Newsnight? Can't think of a better way for him to get away from the stresses of high level journalism. But I pity Richard Parry if Paxo turns up at one of those boater questions sessions.

Oooh, I'd love to see that!

"Nnnnyeeeess, but I have asked you the same question 14 times and you still haven't answered".

• Greenie 1

Oooh, I'd love to see that!

"Nnnnyeeeess, but I have asked you the same question 14 times and you still haven't answered".

*Chuckle *

Mrs Paxo below link to ABNB website shows maxmimum dimensions of various canals in the system. The General 'Systemmax' size canal boat seems to 57ft LOA by 6ft 10', to be able to get to 90% (ish) of the system.

http://www.abnb.co.uk/submenupages/length.html

The counter question (before someone points out an obscure bridge, shallow bit, tight bend or short lock) is - will you be able to cruise the whole system?

We cant, we don't have the time. We rarely get outside the Midlands so a 70' boat is fine

Richard

I agree. It's nice to have the option I suppose, but I do wonder what proportion of the countless new members who've asked this question actually then go on to cruise the entire system,or even a significant part of it? I'd guess most don't get further than the canal where they started.

*Chuckle *

Mrs Paxo below link to ABNB website shows maxmimum dimensions of various canals in the system. The General 'Systemmax' size canal boat seems to 57ft LOA by 6ft 10', to be able to get to 90% (ish) of the system.

http://www.abnb.co.uk/submenupages/length.html

Some of that is wrong!

I can confirm that a 71 ft 6in long narrowboat can navigate the Macclesfield and Peak Forest canals. There's a few folk around that way wouldn't be getting their coal deliveries if Alton couldn't get through!

Personally I would happily chop three foot of our 60ft to save some of the faff in the short locks up here. It may be doable in a 60ft but it's easier in something a bit shorter.

But perhaps it depends on where you are based? If based in the NE then of course a shorter boat is less faff, but if you are only going to visit the NE once in a b lue moon, the faff is worth putting up with.

But perhaps it depends on where you are based? If based in the NE then of course a shorter boat is less faff, but if you are only going to visit the NE once in a b lue moon, the faff is worth putting up with.

Of course, that was in part my point, hence I said personally, because we are based in an area where a slightly shorter boat than ours would be better suited. It doesn't matter in our immediate vicinity as the locks are mahoosive but going anywhere like the Leeds and Liverpool or the Calder and Hebble means 'faffing' in the locks.

When we were based on the T&M it didn't matter at all.

Edited by The Dog House

The converse questions needs to be "why do you need a big boat?" Is it for live aboard or for holidays. If it's for holidays then you can get away with a lot smaller boat with the subsequent saving in mooring and navigation fees.

The answer is 40'

That's if you want to do the last little bit on the Little Ouse to Brandon....

https://www.gov.uk/river-great-ouse-bridge-heights-locks-and-facilities

That's the correct answer! We're 40' and can do a U turn on the GU main line and turn in a lot of other places where bigger boats can't. You can usually find moorings in places others can't get in, however the mooring rings are always mis spaces for smaller boats.

57' is the oft-quoted figure for "very nearly the entire system" but this can be stretched to perhaps 59' for the short locks in the North east, because they are wide locks and the boat can fit diagonally. That's why we got 59', but we have yet to visit the NE to test the theory.

We've done the Leeds and Liverpool and Salterhebble in Theodora and she is 60th after lifting the fenders.

N

The answer is 40'

That's if you want to do the last little bit on the Little Ouse to Brandon....

https://www.gov.uk/river-great-ouse-bridge-heights-locks-and-facilities

That was one of the locks to which I was alluding on my early post. I think there is at least one other. Boats on the Middle Levels used to be limited to 49 feet but the short lock which caused this restriction (Ashline) has now been rebuilt.

That was one of the locks to which I was alluding on my early post. I think there is at least one other. Boats on the Middle Levels used to be limited to 49 feet but the short lock which caused this restriction (Ashline) has now been rebuilt.

And a pain it is too!....

All these oversized boats with one, maybe two people onboard pinching all the precious mooring space on the Nene and Ouse :-)

Well, OK. But Brandon Lock is neither the shortest nor narrowest lock in England.

In that case a mayland 16 is the correct answer

The converse questions needs to be "why do you need a big boat?" Is it for live aboard or for holidays. If it's for holidays then you can get away with a lot smaller boat with the subsequent saving in mooring and navigation fees.

That's the correct answer! We're 40' and can do a U turn on the GU main line and turn in a lot of other places where bigger boats can't. You can usually find moorings in places others can't get in, however the mooring rings are always mis spaces for smaller boats.

Size isn't everything.....

Some of that is wrong!

I can confirm that a 71 ft 6in long narrowboat can navigate the Macclesfield and Peak Forest canals. There's a few folk around that way wouldn't be getting their coal deliveries if Alton couldn't get through!

Yes, that's strange, why the Macc & Peak Forest are singled out as having a max length of 70ft. There's nowhere on these canals that is even particularly tight for length or where we have to lift our fenders, yet at Autherley stop lock, Wolverhampton on the Shroppie we do have lift our fenders ( single BCN gate). Also other parts of the BCN are very tight for a full length boat.

Cheers, Brian

Well, OK. But Brandon Lock is neither the shortest nor narrowest lock in England.

And the answer is.....?

There is a shorter lock near you. The "other" Salter's Lode Lock leading from the Ouse to the Old Bedford River. Seems to be known as Old Bedford Sluice but has (or, at least had) two conventional sets of outward facing gates approximately 25 ft apart. Not much used, I believe, since Well Creek re-opened and less so since Welches Dam Lock has been closed, but there were winches to pull the gates open to allow longer boats to pass on the level when the tide was about right.

Edited by Tacet