Braunston this weekend.

Boat&Bikes

Featured Posts

I doubt if any Hudsons will be in the parade, unless heavily disguised.

Rather than waste the weekend, we are moored just in front of you, and the boat could do with a wash and polish after struggling to Llangolen......................

I doubt if any Hudsons will be in the parade, unless heavily disguised.

Rather than waste the weekend, we are moored just in front of you, and the boat could do with a wash and polish after struggling to Llangolen......................

Are you in Fazeley Mill Marina?

Just texted Jeff so sounds like a plan - he is flying into heathrow on Sunday morning, he's booked a 09:50 train to Brum but I can meet him at Rugby. Will there still be beer left on Sunday? Curses! I will be driving so 5 pints max!

Hopefully Jeff will manage to stay awake for the day despite jet lag and the soporific effect of old codgers in flat caps and red hankies drifting past in rotting hulks.

Edited by nicknorman

There are many Hudsons in the parade, you'll love it

Richard

Well some years ago before we were fully aware of the significance of this weekend we just happened to be travelling through Braunston en-route for Fenny Compton when 'The Parade' was in full swing - a very smart ex-working boat, shortened and converted to a tug (can't remember the name), let us in and as we passed the bridge, we heard the commentator giving a very accurate description of our boat - so it is possible for the occasional non-historic boat to get a mention!

Two or three years back, a Black Prince hire boat did something very similar . . .

Back on topic, we tied-up on the 'Puddlebanks' just in front of NB 'Helvetia' at 2:00 o' clock this afternoon and noted that there were still a few spaces for visitors to moor . . .

Are there any Hudsons in the parade? (If not, maybe not worth bothering).

With luck a few Hudsons will find themselves in the parade.

Probably steered by hapless Hudson owners that didn't realise there was a parade.

We try not to bash them around too much, honestly, but it "is a contact sport" you know! (:lol:)

Probably steered by hapless Hudson owners that didn't realise there was a parade.

We try not to bash them around too much, honestly, but it "is a contact sport" you know! (laugh.png)

I hope you are not suggesting that Hudsons may not be as strong as they should be? As contemporary boat boat builders go, Steve Hudson must rank in the top ten and his boats are rather more substantially built than many traditional steel boats. I was particularly impressed with the boats that he had on display at Crick this year.

So, I'm down on the boat (Tamworth) for the weekend with hire car. Jeff has had a last-minute trip to a conference in Miami so I shall be all on my ownsome. I could drive over to Braunston but is it worth it? Are there any Hudsons in the parade? (If not, maybe not worth bothering).

You can't tell the difference, Hudson's are such good copies of traditional Joshers you would be hard pushed to spot the difference.ninja.gif

We try not to bash them around too much, honestly, but it "is a contact sport" you know! (laugh.png)

That isn't what one of the boats in the parade said a couple of years back after meeting an impatient private boat at Braunston turn that hit them before failing to turn up the North Oxford and piling into MC's wharf.

Edit to add

Just remembered the name of the boat, "Pelican" if the old grey cells are still functioning OK

Edited by ditchcrawler

Are you in Fazeley Mill Marina?

Temp for the last few weeks, although it seems to be a regular annual occurance - same pontoon as you, on the other side about 2 boats up. But not for long, moving back south on Monday (or thats todays plan anyway!)

More seriously......

Not sure the last time one took part, possibly 2 yeras ago, but either "River" or "Admiral" class, working boats built by BW up to circa 1960(ish) as replacements for older craft, can sometimes be seen.

The converted butty "Kew" is one such boat.

Photo from HNBC site (Ros Prettyman)

kew~_alvecote-dec10_Img_0035.jpg

These are all welded craft - not a rivet in sight, (but, as has been said, such boats existed 25 yeras previous to that anyway).

Some interesting "replicas" can sometimes be seen, although not always true replicas. For example the "replica" tunnel tug "Hardy" is actually a narrow beamed steam driven boat, but what it is based on was actually wider and could not have traversed narrow canals. It is also a "replica" of an originally wooden boat fabricated in steel (!)

from Adam Porter's Briar Rose blog:

007.JPG

As contemporary boat boat builders go, Steve Hudson must rank in the top ten and his boats are rather more substantially built than many traditional steel boats.

Well in as much as they use thicker plates, then arguably "yes", (although that would apply to most modern "Clonecraft" builds as well).

It did cost rather less to turn out a typical Joey than Mr Hudson's finest though, and despite being built on the cheap, most seem to have been fit for purpose!

Temp for the last few weeks, although it seems to be a regular annual occurance - same pontoon as you, on the other side about 2 boats up. But not for long, moving back south on Monday (or thats todays plan anyway!)

I'll say Hi on Saturday morning then - presuming you are on the boat?

Well in as much as they use thicker plates, then arguably "yes", (although that would apply to most modern "Clonecraft" builds as well).

It did cost rather less to turn out a typical Joey than Mr Hudson's finest though, and despite being built on the cheap, most seem to have been fit for purpose!

I think the thickness or the steel plates are much of a muchness on Hudsons vs clonecraft, but where the former scores is in the degree of reinforcing framework under the skin, and perhaps a benefit from the generally curving as opposed to slab-sided shape. At least in an impact it won't pop a stress-concentrating rivet and go glug-glug.

At least in an impact it won't pop a stress-concentrating rivet and go glug-glug.

Yes this happens all the time with rivetted boats! :wacko:

It's amazing that insurers seem happy to cover them, isn't it! :lol:

My favourite comment, watching the parade from the bridge a few years ago as a beautiful Bolinder chugged its way past, a woman beside me turned to her companion and said "I'm surprised they let that boat take part on the parade, with its engine misfiring like that!

My favourite comment, watching the parade from the bridge a few years ago as a beautiful Bolinder chugged its way past, a woman beside me turned to her companion and said "I'm surprised they let that boat take part on the parade, with its engine misfiring like that!

I saw three Bolinders at the weekend. Emu, Australia/Kangaroo and IIRC wooden boat Dane. I do love that sound.

Edited by mark99

Yes, truly. Mind you they cover my glider and it's held together with glue, so they clearly have no sense.

I was going to mention that helicopters, (and presumably gliders?) fall from the sky more often than historic narrow boats sink due to "popped rivets"......

But I decided not to (!)

I saw three Bolinders at the weekend. Emu, Australia/Kangaroo and IIRC wooden boat Dane. I do love that sound.

When we were heading up to Braunston with "Sickle" we passed the new camping boat venture that is using the "Royalty" motor "William" going in the other direction at full tilt.

It was truly one of those "bugger I haven't got my camera out here!" moments.

"William" looked superb, so I'm hoping their new business succeeds, and the sound of that Bolinder earning a living is with us for some years to come. (Somebody will now tell me it is not actually a Bolinder! :lol:).

Some interesting "replicas" can sometimes be seen, although not always true replicas. For example the "replica" tunnel tug "Hardy" is actually a narrow beamed steam driven boat, but what it is based on was actually wider and could not have traversed narrow canals. It is also a "replica" of an originally wooden boat fabricated in steel (!)

from Adam Porter's Briar Rose blog:

007.JPG

This or a boat that looks just like it passed through the marina the day before yesterday....and of course I didn't have either my IPOD or phone at hand to take a pic :(

Hopefully it will be taking part in the parade - was pretty cool looking through these novice eyes :)

Some campers & caravans have started arriving today, and the marina has been a hive of activity with people polishing their boats, scrubbing cratch covers and adding bunting. I've even seen the odd mushroom being polished today - I'd say the marina residents are putting their best foot forward for the event.

Looking forward to meeting some other forum members over the weekend. We're the rather wide red boat at the end of pontoon 8....if you miss the wide red boat, just look for the one with the mini garden on the roof .... or the rather excited woman snapping pics of every passing boat icecream.gif

I'm going on Saturday by van. Hope to hitch a ride with someone if at all possible, as long as they don't mind me bringing my teeny dog Penny, she's well behaved honest! Will the for sale area be open?

Edited to add: I mean the regular for sale area? And also what is the definition of historic? Is it a certain year, or a rolling age?

Pretty sure the "for sale" section will be open, they have moved 3 of the "for sale" boats in behind us for the rally, but they are easy enough to pick out, with the detail boards on the roofs :)

Passed by 11 old boats this afternoon having had to tie early due alternator charging at18v.( walked into daventry for new regulator unreal) no problems fitting new part as loaded and empty boats passed until a certain multi abuser named after an old boat screamed past so fast the plates rattled and I nearly fell over... 0530 start tommorrow and the lister putting out all 20hp I recon