Eco Boat washing service business idea. Opinions gratefully received.

Featured Posts

Yeah walk on water good point. i wonder how Jesus got round it?. Thanks for your insight on hand rails bizzard and for your advice on how to clean. I can tell from the amount you have posted that must be a valued member of this forum. Keep up the good work. Here’s some constructive criticism, you might not of heard of it? try not to assume that people "on the other side” are complete spoons… Cheers to those that have been a little more positive and helpful.

I would happily pay for someone to clean my boat. It's not that I don't care - there are just so many other things to do that I don't have time. However, one thing that would put me off as a customer is the name. Why does everyone insist on calling everything "Eco" these days? What exactly is eco about running a petrol engine?

Yeah walk on water good point. i wonder how Jesus got round it?. Thanks for your insight on hand rails bizzard and for your advice on how to clean. I can tell from the amount you have posted that must be a valued member of this forum. Keep up the good work. Here’s some constructive criticism, you might not of heard of it? try not to assume that people "on the other side” are complete spoons… Cheers to those that have been a little more positive and helpful.

No offense intended. I have been in the motor trade all my life though, paintwork too and interests in a valeting site and I do know that high pressure washing of topside paintwork can damage it and they tend to not shift much grime but can imbed it even more, they are fine for rough work like boat hulls, ironwork, stonework and patios ect. As to handrails, believe me many are pretty thin and weak with rusted stands so be careful with those. I do wish you luck with this little venture keep-on-keeping, on, but please use a low pressure pump and sponge, mop, soft brush. Regards.

What about a carpet cleaning service. ??Needed ours cleaning and tried 3 companies before we found someone who would Clean our boat's carpets. Paid £75 really pleased with the finish. Bunny.

Agreed. We spotted a gap in the market for 4ft fitted sheets and still have plenty left 3 years on!

If there was someone offering what you are doing for that money I would snap their hand off so don't let it put you off

Good to see the usual comedy nonsense when you ask a serious question.

Off Topic Sorry

Richard please PM me with details of sheets, we need some.

Bod

Bizzards advice is often classed as entertainment, read some of his "wheezes".

However he does know what he is talking about, and is very reliable in his information.

Not all boats are built to the same standard, or style, as ones you have seen. Some have wooden hand rails, and relying on them for safety, might not be wise!

Many modern boats do not have rails as such, but rather a solid lip, which cannot be clipped to.

Bod

It was the excited puppy option in the OP that sold me clapping.gif

Some river and tidal marinas have a boat washing and valeting service - does yours?

I'm curious to know what they charge

Richard

Some river and tidal marinas have a boat washing and valeting service - does yours?

Richard

I don't think we do actually - well, not advertised, but I'm sure they'd do it if asked. Generally here, if you see a boat being cleaned, it's up and out of the water and being prepped for repainting.

Richard

I had my last boat Externally Rinsed, Scrubbed & De-Stained, Washed & Polished (yes it was that sort of boat) just before I sold it.

It took 2 people All Day, & Cost me £340 8 years ago in the outer Harbour at Eastbourne, Boat was a 32ft Sea Rider, Fiberglass.

Where I am at the moment (Littlehampton Marina) there is a Valeting service offered by Lee at Vantage Marine Services, on a Price

Basis, or Hourly Rate !. He is FABULOUS, but his rate doesn't change weather he is Cleaning your boat, or Swapping your Engines over. So ££££.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

bizzard no real offence taken, tone is always lost on these things but thought it would be worth mentioning how your tone was come across to a new member who does not know your internet personality.. In this trade various brush’s are taken as given. There many tools like a pressure washers that are useful for many applications , once you consider the variables that are under your control fan Patten, pressure and distance. You adapt how you use the tool to the task.

Given the amount of positive feedback I have received on here and along the canal. I’m defiantly considering this as a viable option. And considering a small fishing boat to keep the gear in.

The jesus thing . I think it was either a funny angle or a result of there being a serious amount of hemp oil around in those days

Yes Rob gotcha.

By using the fresh water you obviate any trade issues with using canal water. Just in case the "Bottom Inspectors"* are out in force.

*TM Viz Comic.

Edited by mark99

Hello Thankyou very much for your comments. Ok plucked £20 out the air with no details behind it. Let me be bit clearer and also explain this is a very fresh idea that is a means to getting work in, while I work on transferring airbrushing skills to a lot less dusty, t-shirt painting.

The pricing would have to be on a scale. From a basic wash and wax for the owner who keeps on top of it but would rather not. To more intensive clean for the owner who really can’t be arsed! It took me 2days to clean my boat (70ft) when I bought it but now its clean to keep on top of it (every 2months ish ) i can run round and have it done in just over a hour or so without a pressure washer. The pressure washer would mainly speed up the rinsing process and a means of using the water from the canal but also with care and low pressure much quicker to clear out nooks and crannys,as well as to dispense fluid, certainly not be used on flaky paint .

flaky paint is an issue that would be discussed with every customer but as mentioned is a good up selling point for touch up etc

I am interested in painting boats. Using a brush would minimise the health issues .I will be painting mine next year so if this idea was to work out well and I built a good customer base it would be pretty easy to branch out.

I would be happy with around £20 an hour as a basic, average boat size around here seems to be around 50ft and surprisingly, unlike me alot of people seem to be pretty minimalistic with their roofs. That being said it’s needs to be taken in to consideration.

So the £20 figure is an average that I believe given the advancement of modern eco-friendly cleaning products , waxes and the use of a pressure washer I could clean your average sized boat in an average state of cleanliness. I want to price low to attract consistent return custom, .

Cleaning the other side of the boat. Again it depends on how much work is needed but if its just needs a wash and wax using a harness clipped on to the hand rail should give me enough support to do the job. How would you feel about it being done this way? The other option would be to use a small stable boat to tie on and stand in, though this does go down the licencing route I wanted to avoid until it picked up

Public liability for valet services is reasonable and could be paid in a good days trade. Although most polices out there not worth the paper there written on which is a big concern for any business venture. My other idea was kayak rental but after reading the horror stories that come with that line of work...i think not!

Interesting stuff here. I mop our boat (with canal water) regularly. But there are still very fine dots of gunk on the cabin roof that WILL come off, but with a LOT of elbow grease. Also, light staining where coal-stained water (stained from chimney smoke) runs down the side. I definitely would pay to have someone clean this up and then give it a polish with Mer or something like that. But, obviously, not a fortune. So I'd want to see a fairly clear price/foot for this type of work. (Not just a price/hr and a rough estimate of time). If that were possible.

On the boat painting front. If you had some type of portable shelter that could cover a floating boat to keep all the weather, tree fluff, etc off ... and could do a GOOD hand-painted job on it ... I would have thought THAT would be something valuable and lucrative. A growing reputation for good work at reasonable prices in that area might be the ticket.