Eco Boat washing service business idea. Opinions gratefully received.

Featured Posts

bizzard no real offence taken, tone is always lost on these things but thought it would be worth mentioning how your tone was come across to a new member who does not know your internet personality.. In this trade various brush’s are taken as given. There many tools like a pressure washers that are useful for many applications , once you consider the variables that are under your control fan Patten, pressure and distance. You adapt how you use the tool to the task.

Given the amount of positive feedback I have received on here and along the canal. I’m definitely considering this as a viable option. And considering a small fishing boat to keep the gear in.

The jesus thing . I think it was either a funny angle or a result of there being a serious amount of hemp oil around in those days

In what way is this a 'viable option'? I have seen no suggestion of a proper costing. How many jobs would you need to do in a day or in a week? How much do you need to make as profit to make it viable? How big is the market (really)? How are you going to promote the business?

Running a business (any business) is simplicity itself.

1. Get work

2. Do work

3. Get paid.

I don't see a problem with (3), since it's presumably cash only, but can you get enough work and can you do enough to make it pay? Somehow I don't think the market is there.

At all.

If I were a BBC2 Dragon I would not be able to see a business, and I would not be investing. Sorry if that sounds negative, but I'm trying to be realistic.

BTW, I have been self-employed, running my own successful business for 25 years, so I might just know a little bit about it.

Edited by Machpoint005

Just another point to consider. A nice target would be a marina. However marina operators would probably want a cut. Or forbid it entirely.

With all due respect Machpoint, it's not a pitch for funding or some climb to heady heights of a huge business - it's a simple self start up initiative little fiscal outlay - akin to a window washing/car washer trader which can be extinguished if it does not work out. I say go for it and I commend this sort of energy and gumption.

Edited by mark99

The idea has possibilities but for it to be viable you would need several clients in one area otherwise you'll chase up and down for zero profit--you'll get fit, if you could offer a service based on individual requirements e.g. wash and paint touch up at reasonable price may work.

Pick n mix menu with costings maybe,

Good Luck

The idea has possibilities but for it to be viable you would need several clients in one area otherwise you'll chase up and down for zero profit--you'll get fit, if you could offer a service based on individual requirements e.g. wash and paint touch up at reasonable price may work.

Good Luck

Pick n mix ? I think you need a special licence to sell confectionary.

In what way is this a 'viable option'? I have seen no suggestion of a proper costing. How many jobs would you need to do in a day or in a week? How much do you need to make as profit to make it viable? How big is the market (really)? How are you going to promote the business?

Running a business (any business) is simplicity itself.

1. Get work

2. Do work

3. Get paid.

I don't see a problem with (3), since it's presumably cash only, but can you get enough work and can you do enough to make it pay? Somehow I don't think the market is there.

At all.

If I were a BBC2 Dragon I would not be able to see a business, and I would not be investing. Sorry if that sounds negative, but I'm trying to be realistic.

BTW, I have been self-employed, running my own successful business for 25 years, so I might just know a little bit about it.

I totally agree with all this*. The OP clearly has the technical knowledge but no business nouse or he'd have done at least the basic 'back of envelope' calculations others keep mentioning before even posting his ideas and question.

MtB

*Except fore one point. An even better business model is

1. Get work

2. Get paid

2. Do work

Cuts out a lot of time and effort chasing payment after the work has been done!

I think payment at time work done fairest, people shouldn't have to chase for their money. Fair days labour for fair wage.

And yeah I know pik n mix sweeties but if the label fits to describe other stuff then I use it.

Hi keep on keeping on,

I'm not trying to steal your business and I think, that if you can manage to cost it at a decent price to attract customers without working for little or no reward then very good luck to you.

For everyone else have you tried the new flash sponges? You can get two for a quid in places like wilko's and the supermarkets also sell them. We washed my dad's whole boat using 4 of them (48") they are the "magic" sponges. You don't use any cleaning products ant it takes all of the inbuilt grime off it even made light work of the staining from around the chimney. It didn't damage any of the paintwork either.

Def recommended

Kirsty x

I totally agree with all this*. The OP clearly has the technical knowledge but no business nouse or he'd have done at least the basic 'back of envelope' calculations others keep mentioning before even posting his ideas and question.

MtB

*Except for one point. An even better business model is

1. Get work

2. Get paid

3. Do work

Cuts out a lot of time and effort chasing payment after the work has been done!

Nice one Mike. That's my approach when asked to do a job for a previous client who hasn't yet coughed up!

To the OP: I like your attitude. If you come up with more business ventures then keep us posted (as a potential customer), I am sure you will, and that eventually you will find one that works. As to boat washing, how about a few test runs on the fringe of major boating events?

To the OP: I like your attitude. If you come up with more business ventures then keep us posted (as a potential customer), I am sure you will, and that eventually you will find one that works. As to boat washing, how about a few test runs on the fringe of major boating events?

It's OK because the taxpayer foots the bill for bankruptcies?

Edited by Machpoint005

Good Luck

For me, this is the critical point which will unhinge the business. Apart from pockets of concentration such as marinas, popular mooring spots, etc the canal is typically rural and boats are very much spread out, somewhat isolated (geographicaly) and the link between them, being the canal or usually country roads + possibly a long walk along a towpath. You'll have high transport costs in just getting to-from jobs. I can see someone paying for someone to wash their boat, but I can't see someone paying the actual costs which you'd incur from running a van and travelling to-from their boat.

Also - fresh water - where are you looking to get this from? CRT water points are for potable water and there's rules which prevent you stopping on one to wash a boat (loads of people do it though). Are you going to be asking the boater to fill your bucket? And, are you happy with cold water in the winter/cold weather, or do you want hot water? So, the boater pays the gas to heat the water, or runs their engine for a couple of hours??? A calorifier might be 55l, two buckets of hot water = 28l, leaving the boater with another hour to run their engine possibly....so they might say "no".

Agreed. We spotted a gap in the market for 4ft fitted sheets and still have plenty left 3 years on!

If there was someone offering what you are doing for that money I would snap their hand off so don't let it put you off

Good to see the usual comedy nonsense when you ask a serious question.

There is someone on another thread looking for 4ft sheets.

Do you have any black ones? If so how much? I need same for daughters bed