Best bird on the cut

craftycarper

Featured Posts

An Osprey catching a trout about 50 yards in front of my boat (fishing boat, not narrowboat) on Eyebrook Reservoir. It took ages to get airborne again, then flew directly overhead, juggling the fish in its claws to get it head-first, then being mobbed by gulls as it flew away.

Saw a tern dive bombing a huge seagull last week,trying to peck the head off him.Then proceded to chase the gull all over creation trying to kill him.Beautiful birds and amazing flyers but the sound they make is like a banshee getting strangled by a cat.

. So far I think Charlie,s osprey probably wins ,there was one some years ago that stopped off at frampton court estate for a while but never had the privilege of seeing it ........ Pquinn I always thought the terns ate small fish and that was it but since your post have seen one attack a large herring gull and my son witnessed one fly off with a quite large moorhen chick the other day when he was fishing it landed on a staging opposite him smashed the chick against the jetty a few times to kill it then swallowed it down ,not as nice as they look me thinks

Over the previous two years the Great Crested Grebe in our marina have had their eggs taken by mink.

This year they were more fortunate and have hatched two chicks.

It is fascinating to watch the chicks hitching a ride on their parents backs and especially seeing the chicks being taught to catch fish.

.my son witnessed one fly off with a quite large moorhen chick the other day when he was fishing it landed on a staging opposite him smashed the chick against the jetty a few times to kill it then swallowed it down

Is that a definite identification of a tern? The largest British tern has a length of 38 cm (about 15 inches) much of which is tail streamers. Even a newly hatched Moorhen chick would seem a lot to carry into the air by such a slim bird.

Was it on inland waters a long way from the sea or near the sea? I am wondering about a wondering individual of a larger foreign tern species.

Had a "WTF" moment during the winter when pair of these guys appeared. Turned out to be Egyptian Geese:

Egyptian-Goose.jpg

Where's it's fez?

Cheers

David

Had a "WTF" moment during the winter when pair of these guys appeared. Turned out to be Egyptian Geese:

Egyptian-Goose.jpg

Though they are called Geese they are in fact a duck but have the attributes of a goose. A pair will stay together for life, both parents look after the offspring and form extended families just like geese. When we were on the Broads we had a pair (Howard & Hilda) who lived with us all the 10 years we were there, became so tame that they would knock on the window to be fed. Each spring Hilda would go missing just popping back for a feed a couple of times a day till eventualy she rocked up with Howard and a brood of chicks. Hilda made sure the chicks knew where the bread window was.

Twice Hilda got tangled in fishing line but allowed me to pick her up each time to render assistance.

We felt really bad about leaving them behind when we left, 2 characters that left their mark on our lives.

Phil

• Greenie 1

Little Grebe / Dabchick on the Wednesbury oak Loop (to Bradeley on the BCN) swimming like crazy underwater - crystal clear water since it is pumped out of the mines. Very chestnut-reddy breast, very fast, quite small, and seemed "out of place" in smelly old Birmingham.

Ok here goes I,m sure I,m not the only one on here that loves all things nature and last year going up the Severn I had an otter swim across in front of me which was my nature highlight of the year and so far this year I have seen a pair of bullfinch ,s and a pair of cuckoo,s both quite rare and a real privilege to see so what's been the best bird or nature event of the year so far for you ???

Kingfisher, early one morning as I let myself into the wet dock at Stafford Boat Club. Inside the shed! On my swan-neck! Little fella flew out under the roller-shutter door before I could take a picture.

Greeno to Phil for his charming Egyptian duck story.

I always thought the terns ate small fish and that was it but since your post have seen one attack a large herring gull

The herring gull got home looking upset. When Mrs. Gull asked him what was the matter he replied that he'd had a nasty tern.

Is that a definite identification of a tern? The largest British tern has a length of 38 cm (about 15 inches) much of which is tail streamers. Even a newly hatched Moorhen chick would seem a lot to carry into the air by such a slim bird.

Was it on inland waters a long way from the sea or near the sea? I am wondering about a wondering individual of a larger foreign tern species.

In defence he did mention beer

. I know it's hard to believe but it is just common terns we were at sharpness alongside the Severn and the terns are always here although I,m not a dedicated twitcher I am a countryside lover and have seen a few really rare birds in my time so not making a novice mistake I can tell from your knowledge of birds you are far more into bird watching than me but this did really happen

True enough salty splash but why ruin a good pint

. I know it's hard to believe but it is just common terns we were at sharpness alongside the Severn and the terns are always here although I,m not a dedicated twitcher I am a countryside lover and have seen a few really rare birds in my time so not making a novice mistake I can tell from your knowledge of birds you are far more into bird watching than me but this did really happen

True enough salty splash but why ruin a good pint

Sorry if I gave the impression it didn't happen that was not my intention. I was just trying to clarify for my personal "memory banks" that 1) it was a tern 2) it was a British tern.

Incidentally I am not and never will be a "twitcher". Twitchers are birders who travel anywhere to add another bird to their list. I am more than content to watch whatever bird happens to be where I am.

As I said above I was just satisfying myself about the behaviour of the species and that I knew what the species was. Sorry if I seemed to imply the incident didn't happen.

Phil a Moorhen Egg is around 22g so a newly hatched chick would be say 15 to 20 but this was described as "quite large so lets say 2 or 3 times hatching weight 45 to 60 grams. An adult Common Tern is around 130 grams. That is a fair percentage of body weight it is managing to lift. You will understand why I wanted to be clear of the species etc before I committed this to memory.

I was uunder the impression that the Moorhen chick was newly hatched hence my comment that I thought it possible for a Tern to take a 15 to 20 gram chick.

Not sure at all about the load carrying abilities of Terns but have seen them take quite large fish from outside my boat and still reckon they could take a Moorhen chick.

Phil

I was uunder the impression that the Moorhen chick was newly hatched hence my comment that I thought it possible for a Tern to take a 15 to 20 gram chick.

Not sure at all about the load carrying abilities of Terns but have seen them take quite large fish from outside my boat and still reckon they could take a Moorhen chick.

Phil

They obviously can it was seen!