Where have I gone wrong? An introduction

Retardedrocker

Featured Posts

What about a bowthruster? Can we have a couple of pages of fiery ranting over those as well?

I'm only joining in if we can cover fake rivets as well.........................

I would go with a Stove and Central Heating. I have Webasco and at this time of year when I do not have the stove lit it takes the chill off the boat in the mornings. In my case where I have Solar Panels and rarely run my engine (before I moved yesterday had not run engine for 8 days) I need Webasco to heat my water

If you are considering the Continent that raises issues with diesel C/H as you will need a seperate fuel tank for it as over there you are only allowed to use white diesel for propulsion (and the police do board vessels and check) Likewise you will be hard pressed to find pump oit facilities so will need a self pump out kit to dump in the rivers, remember Terry Darlington describing this?

So just buy the boat that suits you becase asking us lot which is best will get you thousands of different answers.

Phil

• Greenie 1

over there you are only allowed to use white diesel for propulsion (and the police do board vessels and check)

Phil, this is ambiguous, though I think I know what you mean. Surely you can use white diesel for your heating as well?

I think what you meant was "You are allowed to use only white diesel for propulsion", i.e. you can't use red to drive your engine. Can you clarify, please?

Tony. Is it just you on the boat?

If it is, go for pumpout. With a reasonable sized tank, you'll not need back up.

As a live aboard, you'll get quiet canny with your toilet habits ;)

I think you would need a very large tank to be reasonably certain it would last.

I am in the pump out with a Porta-Potti back-up. It is not unknown to be frozen in for several weeks. At the very least it gives you peace of mind.

I think you would need a very large tank to be reasonably certain it would last.

I am in the pump out with a Porta-Potti back-up. It is not unknown to be frozen in for several weeks. At the very least it gives you peace of mind.

As well as the potential of being froze in......

I'm not sure if all pump outs work the same or not, but when our red warning lite (almost full signal) comes on, we only have about 4 flushes left, but we may be a days cruise away from the nearest pump out station, and that's assuming it works when we get there.

Even with that said I would not be interested in changing to cassette.

Phil, this is ambiguous, though I think I know what you mean. Surely you can use white diesel for your heating as well?

I think what you meant was "You are allowed to use only white diesel for propulsion", i.e. you can't use red to drive your engine. Can you clarify, please?

Yes, That's how I read it anyway.

It's - mostly - all been said, however contradictory in some places.

My thoughts (based on actual experience on this side of 'the sleeve' and others' experience 'over there'

Engine: 50Hp would be better than 42 - as a result of how my package was put together there was only a small difference in price. Over kill for the canals but essential when the Thames is running hard.

Shower: I have a shower / bath let into the floor. More comfortable that a shower tray and useful when washing clothes.

Loo: If using a pumpout on the continent a self pumpout kit would be an advantage

Those reports of folks taking a NB across the channel were made some years ago and it' such a dangerous crossing nowadays because of increased ship traffic plus modern legislation, that it is more practical to trailer it across. Do some research.

A cassette loo user doesn't have the same kind of backup option.

Are you a cassette user - or just repeating the old "pump-outs are better' mantra

A Cassette has loads of 'back-up' options, they are called 'spare cassettes', you can store them in the engine 'ole or bottom of the wardrobe etc.

In normal use you may never need to use one. Our cassette last us 3 days (can be streched to 4 days by judicious use of the hedge bottom or pubs), when cruising I reckon we must pass at least 1 elsan emptying station a day (no I dont cruise in London)

As an example of our cruise over the bankholiday weekend

Elsan facilities at :

Newark

Cromwell ( 1 hour travel)

Torksey ( 3 hours travel)

They also have the added benefit that should the seals go, (or other problems) you simply swap it over to another cassette and 'just keep on going'

Yes I could have worded it better, white can be used for anything but red may not be used for propulsion

Phil

Loo: If using a pumpout on the continent a self pumpout kit would be an advantage

There are essentially no pump out facilities to speak of in France other than in hire bases, and they generally do not welcome private craft. In fact they do not even exist until you are down at least as far as Burgundy. So you must have self-pumpout capability or, better, a 2-way valve to permit discharge directly overside. Letting it go at the end of the job, so to speak, is the best option, as it is not pleasant for someone to empty a week's collection in one fell swoop. The worst thing is to use a cassette with some sterilising agent such as Elsanol and then discharge that into the canal - if it is au naturel at least it will break down fairly quickly.

Tam

Well, here we all are, another day older and, certainly in my case, a lot wiser.

There are a couple of questions that have been directed at me, so here's a bit more info about myself:

Obviously enough, I'm looking for a completely different lifestyle: I'm sick to death of the 'burbs', TV, junk mail and all the other crap that goes with it. I don't expect it to be cheaper (but it would be nice if it was), I don't expect it to be easier (the exercise is good for me) but it may be a bit more simple (as opposed to less complex, if you know what I mean.) This isn't a snap decision, I've been considering it for years.

I blame my father and grandfather. My grandfather always talked of going to France on a bike ( this would have been the late 1950s and early 60s) and cycling around the back roads where he served in the trenches during WW1 and my father's dream was to convert an old wooden lifeboat into a sailing boat. Neither of them actually did it, but the seed of stupidity was firmly planted in my mind.

I haven't done a great deal of canal boating, in fact only a couple of weeks on hire boats, but I still work and will have to do so for several more years. The plus side to that is that I will have time to build some experience. The France thing is something I fancy doing after I retire and no, I'm not planning to sail across the channel. I'd love to try, but I can't see it happening. Still, I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death, so who knows.

I'm not too sure at this stage whether I'll be alone on the boat or not, but at the most we will be two.

I realise that for you guys this post is just going over old ground that has probably been covered ad nauseum, but your input is invaluable to anyone set on taking the plunge (figuratively) so please keep it coming.

Cheers,

T.

Edited by Retardedrocker

Well Tony, you are pretty much in the same place as myself, I'm planning to sell my business, my truck and virtually everything else I own about this time next year and buy a boat. I won't have enough money to keep myself until my State Pension kicks in, maybe enough for 4-5 years until I have to get my arse back to work for a few months a year.

But I don't care, I'm going to do it anyway. It's always the things you don't do that you regret, not the things that you do do, even if they don't work out quite how you planned. I bet your Dad and Grandad would say the same about their unfulfilled odysseys.

Well Tony, you are pretty much in the same place as myself, I'm planning to sell my business, my truck and virtually everything else I own about this time next year and buy a boat. I won't have enough money to keep myself until my State Pension kicks in, maybe enough for 4-5 years until I have to get my arse back to work for a few months a year.

But I don't care, I'm going to do it anyway. It's always the things you don't do that you regret, not the things that you do do, even if they don't work out quite how you planned. I bet your Dad and Grandad would say the same about their unfulfilled odysseys.

Hi Southern Star. You're spot on.

My father's still alive and kicking, just into his 90s and I know he's on the same wavelength. My grandfather was always a Game Bird and up for anything. I'm sorry I didn't know him better.

Keep the faith.

T.

Do you really want to go to boating where people speak funny and eat weird food?

"Calder and Hebble" indeed!

Sorry, couldn't resist. Actually, it's great to hear someone mention the C&H specifically as somewhere they want to go boating. (Not surprising, of course, as you live in Mirfield).

Our share boat was based at Sowerby Bridge for a year (and well looked after by Colin of Shire Cruisers). Unusually it only stayed there a year, because the Southern owners couldn't get on with the area. I guess I could have understood that if the area was ALL industrial ("Don't look, Jemima, there's a horrible place over there where common people make things for a living instead of having meetings all day") but it isn't, is it?

We thought the canals east of Sowerby were fantastic, both interesting AND beautiful, and were very sorry to be outvoted and have to leave. I live in Sheffield, by the way.