Where have I gone wrong? An introduction

Retardedrocker

Featured Posts

Unusually it only stayed there a year, because the Southern owners couldn't get on with the area. I guess I could have understood that if the area was ALL industrial ("Don't look, Jemima, there's a horrible place over there where common people make things for a living instead of having meetings all day") but it isn't, is it?

We thought the canals east of Sowerby were fantastic, both interesting AND beautiful, and were very sorry to be outvoted and have to leave. I live in Sheffield, by the way.

Please make sure you stay up there as we don't like that attitude down here. :)

ETA smiley.

Edited by mark99

What attitude? I've got me suvvern credentials.

And me posh ones, I've lived in Islington, well North Islington, well Upper North Islington, well a council flat in Highbury.

I'm happy to translate for Southerners daring to come North.

... No, that's NOT guacamole on your fish and chips.

Do you really want to go to boating where people speak funny and eat weird food?

"Calder and Hebble" indeed!

Sorry, couldn't resist. Actually, it's great to hear someone mention the C&H specifically as somewhere they want to go boating. (Not surprising, of course, as you live in Mirfield).

Our share boat was based at Sowerby Bridge for a year (and well looked after by Colin of Shire Cruisers). Unusually it only stayed there a year, because the Southern owners couldn't get on with the area. I guess I could have understood that if the area was ALL industrial ("Don't look, Jemima, there's a horrible place over there where common people make things for a living instead of having meetings all day") but it isn't, is it?

We thought the canals east of Sowerby were fantastic, both interesting AND beautiful, and were very sorry to be outvoted and have to leave. I live in Sheffield, by the way.

Hi Clifford.

The empire was founded on wool and yorkshire pudding; I thought everyone knew that.

Unfortunately, I don't live in Mirfield. I was born there in 1952, but I've been on missionary work in Liverpool for the last 60 years. Despite the time (and my very young age when I left) I'm extremely proud of my home county.

Beautiful?? You bet your ass, as the colonials would say and not only the countryside. I find old decayed industrial scenary surprisingly appealing.

I have friends in Chesterfield, so I come across quite often. I saw BB King, John Mayall and the Stones in Sheffield. There are some pretty good venues.

Cheers,

T.

Be careful, I've heard there is a lot of crime up north.

There used to be, but most of the crooks spend a lot of time in Westminster now, trying to run the country and the few that are left spend most of their time shooting each other. rolleyes.gif

Cheers,

T.

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings.

For them that's interested, here's a bit of an update.

It's all getting a bit scarey. My buyers are looking to complete in about 2 weeks, so I'm desperately trying to empty 30 years worth of accumulated crap out of the loft and shed, at the same time as selling/dumping/giving away the bulk of our possessions.

Wifey has opted to rent a flat. This will be useful from an address point of view, but it might be some time before I can coax her on board for more than visits.

The good news is that (as long as the whole deal doesn't collapse) the money will be in the bank and I can start seriously searching for a boat.

Wish me luck. As I said before, I'm going to need it.

Cheers,

T.

You have to be utterly ruthless. We did a boot fair, then tried ebaying stuff but it took far too long for the decades of stuff that we'd accumulated. In the end we gave most of it to charity shops. The rest we stored in a lorry body on my in-laws smallholding. After 5 years we're dragging the stuff out of the lorry body and deciding whether we really need this stuff we haven't used or needed in that time.

The only stuff that's staying is items of big furniture, because when we go back to living in a house I really don't want to have to start from scratch again after clawing our way up from grotty furniture to decent stuff.

Best of luck!

What I did, in similar circumstances, was to dump the lot into a couple of self storage units for not a lot per month, and then sort it out at leisure. If it didn't fit the Land Rover, it was cleared out by one of the local house clearance companies.

Most of the stuff hasn't seen the light of day for years. The difficulty is persuading the female side of the family that a chipped ornament, bought for 6d by Auntie Gertie 40 years ago is of no kind of use, beauty or value.

It's an uphill struggle. sad.png

Cheers,

T.

Hi Ange.

I can do ruthless. All I would take, apart from a couple of pictures, a couple of dozen books and my tools, will fit into my motorbike panniers.

Cheers,

T.

Most of the stuff hasn't seen the light of day for years. The difficulty is persuading the female side of the family that a chipped ornament, bought for 6d by Auntie Gertie 40 years ago is of no kind of use, beauty or value.

It's an uphill struggle. sad.png

Cheers,

T.

Hi Ange.

I can do ruthless. All I would take, apart from a couple of pictures, a couple of dozen books and my tools, will fit into my motorbike panniers.

Cheers,

T.

Hey :)

This female side of the family did protest more at the dumping of "precious memories".

I did come round in the end - living in such a confined space with no attic does that!

Best of luck with your endeavour

ERM, windows not ports?????

Good luck with it all, wish you happiness in what you find and do.

Sell stuff....sell more stuff....get rid....that couple of boxes of necessities you are going to store.….give it away!!...you will in 5 years time anyway, when you wonder why you kept it....no, really....get rid!!

Sell stuff....sell more stuff....get rid....that couple of boxes of necessities you are going to store.….give it away!!...you will in 5 years time anyway, when you wonder why you kept it....no, really....get rid!!

Lol - big windows are wonderful for filling your home with light biggrin.png

Vive la differance

It'd be a very boring world if we all thought the same

Edited by Ange

'Precious Memories'???????????

Yes, I used to keep them in my head, not in the loft.

Unforunately, my memory is so damned bad these days I can't remember breakfast, let alone anything else. unsure.png

Happily, herself is in work tomorrow, so I'll be able to 'liberate' a load of stuff. laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

Cheers,

T.

Or do what I plan to do when I get and move onto a boat hopefully later this year the moneys already in the bank to buy it.

I'm planning on just taking a couple of bags of cloths and everyday stuff.

And nothing more.

Then plan on keeping to the one in one out rule, basically if I buy a new pair of shoes an old pair of shoes go

Hi Muddywaters.

I've been so busy emptying the house that I've hardly had time to get on the computer.

We're making progress. We now have a firm completion date and there's far more space in the house. In two weeks we should be out and in two weeks and five seconds I'll be searching nationwide.

I've made a short shortlist of what will be going straight on board when I finally get afloat:

A little food.

wine

beer

coffee

books

tunes; I can't get through the day without music. cool.png

As a matter of interest, is Muddywaters just a boating tag or are you down with the blues?

Cheers,

T.