Some newbie questions !

Marco_mark

Featured Posts

I'm left very puzzled by this. Perhaps if we split continuous cruiser from Continuous Cruiser?

The former is your indisputable definition that anyone can cruise anywhere continuously

The latter is what is recognised as what people who purchase a CRT license without having a home mooring are called. This is the phrase used on CRT waters by boaters and CRT. it's a convenient shorthand

Richard

As said before I think Paul needs to think about the real question he is seeking the answer to.

RLWP

Hi ya, please can I just say at this point, I certainly havnt got an issue or problem with you.

It's just very ,,,as I say hard to understand sometimes, (my falt not yours) when terms or phrases like CCr,,CCing are thought to only egsist in a particular area, it make me and most the people I cruise with question what we've been doing over the last 20 odd yrs .

(I can't seem to make my point)

I'm struggling to see what your point is too Paul. Yes, you can cruise up and down the coast, the St Lawrence seaway or Kensignton High St continuously and call yourself a continuous cruiser

As soon as you use the phrase on a canal forum without explaining what you mean, people will assume you mean this: http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/boating/mooring/want-to-be-a-continuous-cruiser

They may also assume you are a member of this: http://www.associationofcontinuouscruisers.org.uk/

Continuous Cruiser (my capitals) has a specific meaning for users of CRT waters: You have a boat, with a license, and because you have no home mooring have agreed to abide by a set of conditions: http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/633.pdf

It's not snobbery or elitism, it's just the terminology used on canals

Richard

As said before I think Paul needs to think about the real question he is seeking the answer to.

Yes, your possibley right.

And at the moment the question is

Whats the meaning of life ?.

Until I am more eloquent in getting a point across. But RLWPs last post goes along way to breaking it down for me.

Cheers all.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

8 pages in less than 24hrs. Congratulations on a good if slightly transparent windup. The forum is so gullible!

What is your answer then Nick? Do we take every Newbie as a "wind up merchant" and make CWDF even more intimidating to new folks?

e.g. "Hello Newbie, welcome to the forum. What a stupid first question to ask, you must be a troll".

Or do we take people at initial face value, welcome them and try to help?

Are you trolling here?

Edited by Ray T

Same gravy, different meat.

Same meaning different context

Sellotape is a brand of condom in Australia

A Continuous Cruiser on the Inland waterways is a boater who declares they do not have a home mooring, moves every 14 days (or less) in order to get a licence.

Tidal water Continuous Cruisers move as they wish and have no requirements to meet any criteria, or hold a licence.

An alternative would be to find a narrower boat:-

https://www.crtmoorings.com/vacancy/vacancy_details.php?id=6274

Full residential status, so no worries about moving every couple of weeks, water, shore power and toilet emptying facilities on site, and you even get to pay band A council tax when the council catch up with you. There's even a launderette within cycling distance. The only downside is that it's in Zone 5, and the nearest station is actually on the normal railway, so it could take as long as 45 minutes to get to a city office.

If you feel the urge, you could even commute by boat into London for evenings out.

If you speak to the C&RT West London moorings manager, she may know of a wide mooring or two that may be available in the near future.

That looks a really neat mooring! Do any CWF members moor there? I would be tempted, but we do love our South Oxford Canal. For somebody who wants to be close to London for work and/ or entertainment it looks ideal.

What is your answer then Nick? Do we take every Newbie as a "wind up merchant" and make CWDF even more intimidating to new folks?

e.g. "Hello Newbie, welcome to the forum. What a stupid first question to ask, you must be a troll".

Or do we take people at initial face value, welcome them and try to help?

Are you trolling here?

Troll is such an over-used word on this forum that it's hard to answer your question. Only the reader can decide. But if you take the meaning commonly attributed to it outside this forum then no.

I can't be sure of course, but joins the forum and same day makes a post containing all the "issues", sits back with a few one liners to keep it all going. If I were a betting man...

That looks a really neat mooring! Do any CWF members moor there? I would be tempted, but we do love our South Oxford Canal. For somebody who wants to be close to London for work and/ or entertainment it looks ideal.

The only problem is that it will either not go, go for the reserve, or a bidding war will start and it will go for much, much more. I also didn't read the details right, and the launderette is on site, and the nearest station is on the Underground, so the City is within 40 minutes..

I am moored not far away from there, and am paying somewhat less. My mooring was actually up for the third time, after getting no bids on the previous listings at the same price.

Same gravy, different meat.

Same meaning different context

Sellotape is a brand of condom in Australia

A Continuous Cruiser on the Inland waterways is a boater who declares they do not have a home mooring, moves every 14 days (or less) in order to get a licence.

Tidal water Continuous Cruisers move as they wish and have no requirements to meet any criteria, or hold a licence.

Gosh that could lead to a bit of a mix up- I've got weird visions in my mind now- What do they call sellotape?

Gosh that could lead to a bit of a mix up- I've got weird visions in my mind now- What do they call sellotape?.

Sellotape in Australia is Sellotape.

http://www.sellotape.com.au/page.aspx?A=6547

Durex is another make of sticky tape there.

And a rubber in America is a condom, not something for rubbing out writing. That's an eraser over there.

Sellotape in Australia is Sellotape.

http://www.sellotape.com.au/page.aspx?A=6547

Durex is another make of sticky tape there.

And a rubber in America is a condom, not something for rubbing out writing. That's an eraser over there.

And is also a brand of condom

http://engineroomblog.blogspot.co.uk/2007/08/rubber-by-any-other-name.html

(Deleted) (Added from the comments) "I hereby claim my prize for spotting your (deliberate?) mistake. In Australia, Sellotape is not a brand of condom (a very pleasant French village, by the way), whereas Durex is an Australian brand of sticky tape.
Quality meat pie to the usual location, please."

Durex is also an Australian brand of franger.

Edited by John Williamson 1955

And that caused a wee bit of confusion when, in my presence, my new boss instructed his PA to ensure I had a full supply of office supplies including, pens, writing pads, ruler, stapler, staples, rubbers etc etc

That was 3 weeks after landing in this fine country, 15 years ago. For the life of, I couldn't figure out why I (as the Food & Beverage Manager) would need a supply of condoms!! blush.png

And that caused a wee bit of confusion when, in my presence, my new boss instructed his PA to ensure I had a full supply of office supplies including, pens, writing pads, ruler, stapler, staples, rubbers etc etc

That was 3 weeks after landing in this fine country, 15 years ago. For the life of, I couldn't figure out why I (as the Food & Beverage Manager) would need a supply of condoms!! blush.png

<Quiet chuckle> And a happy birthday to you, by the way.