Some newbie questions !

Marco_mark

Featured Posts

Hello Boat Peeps !

I’m about to buy my first boat (yay !) and I was wondering if you boat folk can answer some questions !?

The boat is a GRP widebeam (can’t be bothered with the narrowboats) and it is located in Leicester but I’m planning to bring it down to London. Got some mates on boats in London but they are quite fresh to the whole boating thingy and they don’t know a lot, but it seems that it cost them peanuts comparing to what I pay for my room.

So here it goes:

1. I will have to take some time off work to bring the boat to London, how much time will it require?
  2. The boat is 11’ wide, will it fit on Grand Union Canal Leicester – London.
  3. I’m planning to be a continuous cruiser but generally stay within Zone 2, is that possible, anyone doing it ?
  4. The boat has a cassette toilet, can that be change for the pump-out ?
  5. It will be me (and occasionally my girlfriend) living on board, the current water tank is about 50 gallons, since I’m planning to move as little as possible, I was wondering how much water on average will I need to be enough for 4-6 weeks ?

Mark

Is there any alternative way?

Answer to Q2. It will fit on the GU - but you won't be able to sail it from Leicester to the GU because you will have to pass through Foxton and Watford locks which are narrow locks.

Haha "voyagirl" nasty little keyboard wa....

Also you gotta moor it in london, good luck with that one, 3 times more than the boat I expect,

How about Sea, then thames? Mr marco polo

Edited by Voyager2

Point 5, I live alone and get through about 50 gallons a week just for showers and dishwashing, so 300 - 400 gallons a month for two?

There's a reason most people fill their tanks every week.

Also, if you're planning to continuously cruise, then to comply with your licence conditions you need to move to a new neighbourhood at least every 14 days, so that's when you fill and empty your tanks.

An alternative would be to find a narrower boat:-

https://www.crtmoorings.com/vacancy/vacancy_details.php?id=6274

Full residential status, so no worries about moving every couple of weeks, water, shore power and toilet emptying facilities on site, and you even get to pay band A council tax when the council catch up with you. There's even a launderette within cycling distance. The only downside is that it's in Zone 5, and the nearest station is actually on the normal railway, so it could take as long as 45 minutes to get to a city office.

If you feel the urge, you could even commute by boat into London for evenings out.

If you speak to the C&RT West London moorings manager, she may know of a wide mooring or two that may be available in the near future.

Edited by John Williamson 1955

An alternative would be to find a narrower boat:-

https://www.crtmoorings.com/vacancy/vacancy_details.php?id=6274

Full residential status, so no worries about moving every couple of weeks, water, shore power and toilet emptying facilities on site, and you even get to pay band A council tax when the council catch up with you. There's even a launderette within cycling distance. The only downside is that it's in Zone 5, and the nearest station is actually on the normal railway, so it could take as long as 45 minutes to get to a city office.

If you feel the urge, you could even commute by boat into London for evenings out.

If you speak to the C&RT West London moorings manager, she may know of a wide mooring or two that may be available in the near future.

thank you. I really like this boat and its 11' so it wouldn't fit.

You'll have purchased this from Whilton marina of course? tongue.png

funny thing, loads of people where recommending to look for boats in there. it is from private seller.

Don't worry about Foxton/Watford. With it been plastic you and a few mates should be able to lift it out of the water and carry it round the lock and pop it back in at the other side.

Job done.

we would, trust me but this is ex-navy boat like 4" thick hull, weights more then a tin-can one.

Mark, do you know about the London Boaters page on Facebook? I'm saying this because:

a/. You'll get some useful information about living on a boat in London and,

b/. It looks like things are about to turn nasty for you here

Richard

thank you. I really like this boat and its 11' so it wouldn't fit.

funny thing, loads of people where recommending to look for boats in there. it is from private seller.

Then we come to your point about continuously cruising within Zone 2. According to your licence conditions, it *may* be possible at the moment, but C&RT are rumoured to increasing the strictness of their enforcement in the London area this year. If you are willing to increase your cruising range to include all the zones, and maybe consider going as far out as Watford or Bishops Stortford , you will still have good commuting links to London, and a much easier life with the enforcement bods. As well as lower crime once you leave the centre of the city.

(Edit) You might want to consider that a the moment, there are fewer than 10 working water points in Central London, shared between over 1000 boats without a home mooring in the area. The London Boaters Facebook group normally contains many complaints about blocked sanitary stations and people mooring on water points, blocking acess.

As for Whilton marina, they have lots of boats to look at, and you may well find one there to suit you, following a bit of negotiation about the price, they will all fit the Grand Union and can be taken directly from the marina to London in a week or three, depending on breakdowns, your skill and willingness to do long days. There are other brokers in your area, and if you're a novice, you may well find the peace of mind you get by buying from a broker worthwhile, even if the prices tend to be higher than private sales.

Edited by John Williamson 1955

Mark, do you know about the London Boaters page on Facebook? I'm saying this because:

a/. You'll get some useful information about living on a boat in London and,

b/. It looks like things are about to turn nasty for you here

Richard

i keep an eye on london fb page but prices of boats they occasionally have for sale are mad.

why would any one be nasty to me ?