Sunken wooden NB on the southern Oxford

MtB

Featured Posts

Don't worry I won't, because you fixed my engine, innit!

By they way I'm not pretending to be Tawny Owl anymore, will message you properly later.

Yes, I worked that out - you took a picture of Forget me Not and Mabel

Did you get very wet in Shrewley?

Richard

Yes, I worked that out - you took a picture of Forget me Not and Mabel

Did you get very wet in Shrewley?

Richard

Yes, whatever the next level is up from drenched. So did my engine ole' too. Obviously next time I know to wear something other than a t-shirt!

• 4 weeks later...

Just to say from reading a blog tonight it has sunk again

She was very much afloat today, though the engine was a sad sight, the rocker cover was off and the valvegear was coated in a good layer of canal mud.

...........Dave

thank you for making my lovely boat taplow infamous on the internet there some really lovely photos and she will be refloated when the times ready cheers

Hi Natsie and welcome!

I used to own Taplow so she already had a certain amount of infamy.

Let me know when you plan on refloating her and I'll try and get down to help.

Are any of the wooden boats you have owned actually still afloat - or are you the fresh water equivilant of a terodo worm? Don't clam up now... :)

• Greenie 1

Hi Natsie and welcome!

Let me know when you plan on refloating her and I'll try and get down to help.

Well I'm just hoping that it is Natsie, (or someone else with their permission) that had stripped large amounts of the cabin away from Taplow when we passed it 3 to 4 weeks ago.

We have not breen back past since, so far, so I've no knowledge of how things have progressed since, but whereas it had previously looked fairly secure, it now looked too much of an open invitation for others to simply carry on the process of ripping bits from it.

Are any of the wooden boats you have owned actually still afloat - or are you the fresh water equivilant of a terodo worm? Don't clam up now... smile.png

As far as I am aware there are several wooden boats that I have owned that are still afloat, a couple fully restored and a couple lived on.

I haven't kept tabs on all the boats I've owned but, as far as I am aware, only one has ever been broken up.

With the exception of Usk (the one broken up) and Lucy (undergoing a complete rebuild) all the boats I have ever sold, whatever their construction material have left my ownership fully legal for the waterway they were floating in and what happens to them after that is not my responsibility.

Edited by carlt
  • Greenie 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We went passed her about the same time as Swallow, as we neared her a pump was going throwing out a lot of water , 2 minutes later it had stopped. No one around either and pretty submerged. Drum kit on the front. Mortimer Bones wrote about this in the June Tillergraph.