1939 sea plane tender - perkins S6M - gearbox issues, may need to find replacement!

Marcuswarry

Featured Posts

No help at all, but Perkins moved on from their own box to a Self-Changing Gears MR10A box, and I think I've got a reverse gear cluster for one of those, lurking somewhere ;)

That style of reduction used to be quite common, it could be a way of arranging handed pairs of engines, one using ordinary reduction gears, also as you noted providing inline (more or less) reduction. We had an MR10A box with that type of reduction, a mixture of boxes from Perkins and RN engines, which I fitted to our 4LW in the Keel Beecliffe. Not sure, but Velvet Drive may still use them.

Tim

A Wanted ad on Find a Fishing Boat might be worth a try as well.

If you decide to go for a more modern box, the PRM 750 is probably a good bet, as it is available in inline versions. The PRM 500 isn't, although it's probably man enough. Changing to a drop centre gearbox would mean raising the engine, or altering the prop shaft arrangements.

The Parsons Pike (Ford 4D) box might be an F type, or a DA, possibly borderline for capacity, and both would have drop centre reductions. Also obsolete, though not as rare as the Perkins box.

If it were me, I'd be inclined to investigate the engines that Richard linked to at the start, maybe try an offer if you can get assurances about the gearbox. Richard probably fancies the challenge of fixing yours, though wink.png

Tim

She's a beautiful boat. I hope you get gear box sorted ok.

I may be way off but there is a Massey Fergusson old boys club who deal with the old engines and such would they be of any help ref gear boxes or are boat gear boxes different?

Edited by patty-ann

A slight point of pedantic nature

The Craft in that picture is a Flying boat!

Not a Seaplane!

CT

Pretty Please and for the ignorant,

when does a Seaplane become a Flying Boat??

(is it something to do with displacement / planing hulls....)

Pretty Please and for the ignorant,

when does a Seaplane become a Flying Boat??

(is it something to do with displacement / planing hulls....)

A Flying Boat sits in the water when not airborne,it has a Hull,not a Fuselage.

A Seaplane remains above the briny by virtue of Floats on which the fuselage is suspended.

CT

Edited by cereal tiller

A Flying Boat sits in the water when not airborne,it has a Hull,not a Fuselage.

A Seaplane remains above the briny by virtue of Floats on which the fuselage is suspended.

CT

Errrrrr........

A seaplane can be a flying boat or a float plane. Your description of a flying boat is correct, while a float plane is an ordinary aeroplane mounted on floats.

Then there is an amphibian, which is a flying boat / float plane that is capable of operating on land and water.

Errrrrr........

A seaplane can be a flying boat or a float plane. Your description of a flying boat is correct, while a float plane is an ordinary aeroplane mounted on floats.

Then there is an amphibian, which is a flying boat / float plane that is capable of operating on land and water.

Correct.

And may i thank you,it is so good to be the recipient of concise and factual correspondence from a fellow Pedant!clapping.gif

CT

Edited by cereal tiller

Wow!!! I'm intrigued. I can tell that was taken before I owned it?!?! Where was this? This is brilliant!!

Marcus

P.s. Yes she did move like a dream. And fortunately for me that involved a two and a half day trip from Sheffield to to hull.... (Road trip, then few months on hard standing in Caversham as I fixed the hull)... Then over two weekends she gradually stuttered to a standstill in Eton Wick... Where she sits today, awaiting Richard to work his magic!! Can't wait to get her going again down the Thames to Kingston!! If any of you are passing or on the way, please do let me know, and I'll invite you aboard for a drink!! Thanks again for all your amazing help and positive comments! Marcus

On the other hand, this is one of the planet gears from the reverse cluster:

planets-5.jpg

It runs on a shaft in the reverse cluster, with a bearing between the two. Well, it should, except due to lubrication problems the bearings have entirely disintegrated:

planets-7.jpg

This allowed the planet wheels to move outwards, so the drive was only on the tips of the teeth, which gave way:

planets-6.jpg

Richard