decent alternatives to sawley marina.

tjderby

Featured Posts

Was that a professional job?

Yes it was and the guy's boss was there inspecting the work.

The cable looks in good order and is clearly tagged as neutral so I see no reason to replace it as it is only ever going to be manhandled by another Electricity board engineer so it is their problem, not mine.

It's not tape is it - it looks like a heat shrink cover to me....

It is tape but as it is only there as a polarity indicator, in addition to the tags, I don't think heat shrink tubing is necessary.

Is that really only 1930's?

It looks older!

I thought so too but as he was an electrician and not a historian I suppose our guess is as good as his.

Yes it was and the guy's boss was there inspecting the work.

The cable looks in good order and is clearly tagged as neutral so I see no reason to replace it as it is only ever going to be manhandled by another Electricity board engineer so it is their problem, not mine.

Yes, definitely not your problem, but I am just surprised they left it like that, presuming the meter is not far away. Not dangerous I agree, but surely not compliant with the current wiring regs either.

Yes, definitely not your problem, but I am just surprised they left it like that, presuming the meter is not far away

The meter is about 4 inches away from the breaker so it would have been a simple matter to renew the cables.

Perhaps his boss is saying the same thing to him, on the drive to the next job.

Yep I think the cables should of been changed and neatly clipped to the mounting board to prevent movement and possible looseness. Why do a half job?

I have wired a new build in France and I'm not a qualified electrician but when the new place had a CONSUEL inspection prior to having the electricity connected the inspector was very impressed with the neatness of the installation and it passed with a certificate to show to the electricity company to install the meter on the boundary and connect up.

Jamescheers.gif

Pay council tax direct to council because then you get rebate when not in council district .

180 x £1000 is a fair amount of income for Derbyshire and will obviously now spread to other marinas in the county .

So all that work that Beeston boaters did has been lost after their successful fight with Nottinghamshire, as I and some others did with Leicestershire.

What are the lodges paying in mercia marine?

Lincolnshire council have a 10 month rule for caravan sites above that planning permission would be required and full council tax paid.

Lincolnshire council have a 10 month rule for caravan sites above that planning permission would be required and full council tax paid.

That could be a little misleading - planning permission is needed for any caravan site unless it complies with the Caravan Club / Council's guidance of 5 touring caravans that shall not be on site for more than 28 days

I think you mean that full residential planing permission would be needed, as opposed to leisure use planning permission - our (Lincolnshire) caravan site is 11 months.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Last i heard the Marina did come up with an answer to his 'Cheaper Mooring' request with there new range of

(Practical Ideal Self Serviced Original Fully Functional ) Moorings.!

at least thats what i think it stands for.

Suspected they would :D

Was that a professional job? Not impressed with the blue tape on the neutral conductor on an otherwise brown (live-coloured) cable! I would have thought that should have been replaced with cable of the correct colour - ditto the live. Or is it that they are only responsible for the wiring as far as the fuse? (I thought they were responsible for the wiring as far as the meter?).

Take a closer look. That new device was mounted lower than the previous unit, and the blue tape at the bottom of the brown wire appears to be covering bare wire where the the insulation has been stripped off. I imagine it will work quite well like that, but it is still not a "professional" way to do things. Plastic tape is not a substitute for insulation.

Take a closer look. That new device was mounted lower than the previous unit, and the blue tape at the bottom of the brown wire appears to be covering bare wire where the the insulation has been stripped off. I imagine it will work quite well like that, but it is still not a "professional" way to do things. Plastic tape is not a substitute for insulation.

Yes I see what you mean, there does seem to be some waisting of the cable thickness before it disappears inside the fuse, suggesting no insulation at that point, and it has just been covered with insulating tape. OK it is only the neutral and so more or less at earth potential, but still piss poor IMO!

OK it is only the neutral and so more or less at earth potential, but still piss poor IMO!

Having been pestering them for several years to come and sort the antique kit out I doubt I'll still be living here when they come and tidy the job up so I'm just not going to worry about it.

The original installation does look like black insulation sheathed with brown though (I am at a loss to know why) so they have, perhaps, put insulating tape over the black and brown sheathing making it appear uninsulated.

Having been pestering them for several years to come and sort the antique kit out I doubt I'll still be living here when they come and tidy the job up so I'm just not going to worry about it.

The original installation does look like black insulation sheathed with brown though (I am at a loss to know why) so they have, perhaps, put insulating tape over the black and brown sheathing making it appear uninsulated.

We are not suggesting that you actually do anything about it, we just enjoy slagging off alleged "professionals"!

The original installation does look like black insulation sheathed with brown though (I am at a loss to know why)

Old insulation is sometimes just like that, it was made with the color over a black inner part. Plastics weren't as advanced back then and the insulation was more rubber than plastic.

We are not suggesting that you actually do anything about it, we just enjoy slagging off alleged "professionals"!

Exactly!

And a proper slagging they deserve, I might add.

Or how he's getting on with his moorings discount?

Well worth trying for. You have to wonder what the BWML Directors are up to? Limehouse has never had empty berths, moorings there were like gold dust. This link is their page advertising 16 vacant berths at Limehouse. That sort of drop in occupancy ratios has to hurt, especially as they were telling all last year that the marina was over-subscribed. Oh and they are saying we have no room for visiting boat rallies yet have 16 empty berths.

If you read the article correct unless I am drunk but are these new moorings brought to the market that were in the past used by visitors seems like London I's the hot spot, so why not add more availability when they can get the fees they are charging

No Paul you misunderstand. At sawley you pay it 10months and get 2 months free.

No you dont. If you pay monthly, your mooring charges are djvied by 10 and you pag over ten months. The last two months are already paid for. Not free