decent alternatives to sawley marina.

tjderby

Featured Posts

tjderby, on 04 Apr 2014 - 10:14 AM, said:

. Surely it shouldn't be to hard to take the old stove and chimney out and replace it with a new one.

Just be aware that flues (and the outlet from the fire, and the chimey collar on the roof) come in different sizes - We had a 75mm one on the 'old boat', we have a 4" one now, and there are 5" and 6" ones about. Its probably a fair-bet that as the current fire is a 'small pot bellied stove' that it is at the smaller end of the scale. If your 'new' fire has a bigger flue requirement then you will need a new hole drilling in the roof, new collar etc etc. - just as much work as a total new installaion.

I dont think there are many areas other than say fuel costs where we would save money by having a narrowboat.

Never mind narrowboats, I have never had the astronomical costs you've mentioned in the past with any boat I've owned and, regardless of how "unlucky" you think I've been my house maintenance costs are insignificant compared to the figures you've reported here concerning your leisure boat.

Well the chimney looks like its seen better days. It might be ok but that's my lack of knowledge for ya. So is consider changing the whole lot. I know its a big job if a boats never had one but as this boat currently has one. Surely it shouldn't be to hard to take the old stove and chimney out and replace it with a new one.

As regards to boilers. I've also looked at aga.

If the flue diameter is the same, (ie the collar where the flue goes through the roof is the right size) it's not too much of an issue.

Lots of stoves have been badly installed too near wood without adequate insulation etc and risk a fire, so do check the installation is safe. Do get a carbon monoxide alarm - more important than a smoke alarm (though you should have both).

The squirrel is a good stove (we have one) but quite expensive. It is made of cast iron which can be prone to cracking. If/when I replace our stove I think I will get a steel one. They seem to be cheaper and don't crack so easily. I would have got a Woodwarm Fireview but someone recently mentioned they are no longer made - not sure what is the successor.

I should hope the current installation is safe as I assume its been in there a while.

Not necessarily a valid assumption. A stove that only ever runs very slowly (air vents shut well down) might be fine until one day you forget to turn it down after lighting /refuelling... You don't want to be one minor mistake away from trashing the boat (and possibly you).

Just taken a look at the chimney in a photo and it looks quite big lol. Actually almost as big as the stove lol. Don't ask me to post a pic cause I don't know how to lol.

Not necessarily a valid assumption. A stove that only ever runs very slowly (air vents shut well down) might be fine until one day you forget to turn it down after lighting /refuelling... You don't want to be one minor mistake away from trashing the boat (and possibly you).

Well in that case its definitely coming out.

No, this is a common misconception put out by gas safe registered blokes. If you actually read the legislation (I have) there is just a one-liner that says you must be competent to work on gas installations. There is no definition of what competent is, nor any need to prove it.

All the rest of the legislation relates to doing it as a business (ie getting paid to do it, employing such people etc). There are additional rules for if you are renting out a property meaning for that, as a landlord, you have to use Gas Safe bods.

This is all exactly correct. DIY gas work is perfectly legal although GSR and most gas bods would prefer you didn't realise.

Proving you are 'competent' under the regulation can be done in two ways. The first way is to do the exams and collect the bits of paper. They are not hard, but there's quite a large volume of information to soak up. The second way is not to cause a 'gas incident' (as the HSE so quaintly term them) in the first place.

If you don't have the bits of paper, and someone has just been injured or died from explosion or CO poisoning, it can be pretty difficult trying to prove to a court that you are competent when all the evidence points in the opposite direction.

Thankfully we are nearing summer so I hopefully won't need the stove. So that'll give me chance to save up to get a proper job done.

Have you any other source of heating? If not then when it's a typically British summer's day and the wind is blowing the rain sideways you may be grateful for having a stove. Boats need ventilation so are not best known for keeping the heat in :)

If you don't have the bits of paper, and someone has just been injured or died from explosion or CO poisoning, it can be pretty difficult trying to prove to a court that you are competent when all the evidence points in the opposite direction.

Surely under "innocent until proven guilty" concept, you wouldn't have to prove that you were competent, the prosecution would have to prove you weren't? Of course if what you did caused the gas explosion, you are guilty and deserve the consequences.

And just because you have bits of paper, surely you are not exonerated if you blow the house up!

It's interesting how lots of people are quite happy to drive cars sometimes in not the best way (tired, distracted, couple of pints, speeding etc) without too much worry about the possible consequences, but as soon as gas is mentioned folk come over all faint and queasy! There are lots of things we do in life where, if done badly, carry serious consequences both in terms of life and criminality. Gas is no different.

Edited by nicknorman

Never mind narrowboats, I have never had the astronomical costs you've mentioned in the past with any boat I've owned and, regardless of how "unlucky" you think I've been my house maintenance costs are insignificant compared to the figures you've reported here concerning your leisure boat.

Which astronomical costs would these be?

Which astronomical costs would these be?

I really cannot be bothered going over your past posts bemoaning the expenses incurred and time out of the water of your boat.

You have mentioned sums that make my both my house and boat maintenance bills seem like peanuts.

When I read some of your threads about maintaining a Sealine it starts to make owning a wooden boat seem like a cheap option.

Re electric supply.

In a house you have almost limitless power whereas when hooked-up to your marina outlet you will be limited to the maximum amps of that outlet, which may be considerably less.

Really?

I am limited by the 30Amp breaker in the cupboard under the stairs and had a 32Amp hook-up in the boat yard.

I'm aware that some marinas limit you to a 16Amp outlet but you can run most stuff from it.

Really?

I am limited by the 30Amp breaker in the cupboard under the stairs and had a 32Amp hook-up in the boat yard.

I'm aware that some marinas limit you to a 16Amp outlet but you can run most stuff from it.

I think its a routine & discipline thing on a boat that you soon get use to.

Can't have the Dishwasher on if the Washing machine, Tumble Dryer, Steamer, Electric Oven or the Iron is on ect but as I say, you soon get use to how you spend your 3000watts ( ish ,yes I know it's slightly more) If only on a 16a or less supply.

(He he ha ha did I say iron !. oh dear, don't make me laugh.)

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

I really cannot be bothered going over your past posts bemoaning the expenses incurred and time out of the water of your boat.

You have mentioned sums that make my both my house and boat maintenance bills seem like peanuts.

When I read some of your threads about maintaining a Sealine it starts to make owning a wooden boat seem like a cheap option.

Perhaps its because we like to keep our boat looking nice and in tip top mechanical condition.

We could make it much cheaper per year by skimping on maintenance but that only comes to bite you in the end and lands you with a bigger bill than keeping up with the maintenance in the first place. Its a false economy.

Really?

Ours are 16amp which limits you to about 3kw at anyone time. Any more and it trips the bollards.

3kw really isnt that much when you are used to much more in a house.

Really?

That's unusually low for a house, normally its 100A but new builds often have 200A capability.

Paul C, on 04 Apr 2014 - 12:54 PM, said:

That's unusually low for a house, normally its 100A but new builds often have 200A capability.

I thought so too... but from previous posts I understand Carl lives in an older house so this may be relevant.

I understand the 30amp limit can often relate to what can be drawn from a single ring mains supply with 13 amp being the individual limit at each individual outlet....hence why cookers and the like often need their own supply.

I thought so too... but from previous posts I understand Carl lives in an older house so this may be relevant.

I understand the 30amp limit can often relate to what can be drawn from a single ring mains supply with 13 amp being the individual limit at each individual outlet....hence why cookers and the like often need their own supply.

A lot of people live in older houses but even so 30 amp seems very low.

ETA:

In fact Im fairly sure we would be tripping that on a regular basis if ours was so low. It doesnt take long to rack up in the region of 5.6kw of demand!!

With the double electric oven, washing machine, kettle and shower on the go it must be approaching that!!

Edited by Naughty Cal

Well I've just had a phonecall from the electric board who are coming to uprate my main breaker on Monday so I will celebrate by baking a cake whilst running the dishwasher, washing machine, kettle and tumble dryer all at the same time without smoke coming from under the stairs.

I imagine that even if you do have the bits of paper, if someone has just been injured or died from explosion or CO poisoning, it can be pretty difficult trying to prove to a court that you are competent.