decent alternatives to sawley marina.

tjderby

Featured Posts

Well if nothing else comes from this thread for you Tjderby, I hope you have now learned how to tie your boat up. (Or just get someone else to do it if your tired after work or busy ! ) but be safe,

Just you wait till you ask about Anchors ! OMG.

Will he need an anchor in Sawley Marina?

Will he need an anchor in Sawley Marina?

No, but if he leaves the marina and turns left or right he will be on the Trent, so ought to have one then.

Perhaps we should discuss at length the various options and weights?

Edited by Kendal

No, but if he leaves the marina and turns left or right he will be on the Trent, so ought to have one then.

Perhaps we should discuss at length the various options and weights?

Hes going to need a very long electric cable then.

Except your water is piped into your hose from the mains

So you have to wait for the water board to fix the burst main before you can have a shower rather than just go to the next water point.

your electric is cabled into the house, there at a flick of a switch in an unlimited supply

Don't get me started on the continuing saga of waiting for my main circuit breaker to be replaced so I can wash clothes and cook a roast at the same time without the lights going out.

gas at the touch of a button in an unlimited supply

Until your boiler breaks and you have to pay a Gas-safe engineer hundreds of pounds to fix it rather than fix your Paloma/calorifier yourself.

waste taken away never to be seen again.

The distance I have to drag my full, stinking wheelie bin once a fortnight from back garden to roadside is 10 times further than the distance from the boat to the rubbish point where I can dispose of rubbish, in a small, clean bag whenever I like (never to be seen again), before the maggots arrive.

Yep, exactly the same....

• Greenie 2

So you have to wait for the water board to fix the burst main before you can have a shower rather than just go to the next water point.

Don't get me started on the continuing saga of waiting for my main circuit breaker to be replaced so I can wash clothes and cook a roast at the same time without the lights going out.

Until your boiler breaks and you have to pay a Gas-safe engineer hundreds of pounds to fix it rather than fix your Paloma/calorifier yourself.

The distance I have to drag my full, stinking wheelie bin once a fortnight from back garden to roadside is 10 times further than the distance from the boat to the rubbish point where I can dispose of rubbish, in a small, clean bag whenever I like (never to be seen again), before the maggots arrive.

Yep, exactly the same....

Your house sounds shit. You had better get another boat. laugh.png

This thread is a hoot. I say good luck with it TJ, I hope it works out. When I got my 1st (& so far still on my 1st) boat I'd never lived on 1 before. The most I'd done was 30 mins on a trip boat from Stoke Bruerne to the mouth of the tunnel & back... as a passenger no less!
Obviously the naysayers had lived on 1 all their lives when they got their 1st boat. You are being offered lots of advice based on experience... but with a hefty dose of judgemental thrown in for good measure.

I'm beginning to get disgusted with TJ. It's obvious that he's only interested in a boat because it's less expensive (??) clearly ignoring the bit where he acknowledged it being expensive than living on land. He's not interested in 'navigation'. He also want some of the comforts of bricks and mortar, but hasn't really got the facilities to power that lifestyle.

Sawley mooring is 'expensive' because it includes an element of council tax. Why should residents in a marina not pay tax?

Folks are too much up their own backsides nowadays. Being a club member gives you an opportunity to mix in with folks - which you don't get in an urban environment. Mowing the grass OCCASIONALLY and helping out generally is what that sort of club is like.

looks like that style is not for you TJ. If you want to be anonymous, suck in what you can without regard to others, then stick with your bricks and mortar..

I'm out.

Well I must say OldGoat you have my utmost admiration, being able to do without the comforts of bricks & mortar, such as shelter to keep out the elements (I take it your boat doesnt have a roof or sides), electricity, running water, toilet, bed, heating etc.

On my boat I have all of these things, & a washing machine & a microwave & a vacuum cleaner & a computer & internet & a tele...

But I do agree with you on 1 point, some folks are too much up their own backsides nowadays. Virtual greenies to several peeps, I only have 1 left today & I'm saving it (& Carlt aint getting it today cuz he already has loads)

Your house sounds shit. You had better get another boat. laugh.png

Actually my house is very nice and the things I mention are pretty run of the mill for a Victorian property.

I would hazard a guess that your views on the complexities of boat ownership are jaded by the ridiculous sums of money and work you've poured into your highly stressed Sports Cruiser to keep it running and the bills would plummet if you had a narrowboat.

Thing us it's a boat and moves. You won't be plugged in 24/7. And it's those who plug in all the time at the marina who suddenly find they can't cope when away from their umilical cord so run their engine 24/7 instead.

I disagree.

But I suppose we will see.

TJ has shown very little in the way of resilience or get up and go thus far what will change?

Obviously anyone who plugs in at a marina is incapable of using less electricity when they move, & clearly TJ wont be able to adapt according to that. As for showing very little in the way of resilience or get up and go I disagree, he's already taken a rollicking for giving out too much info with the 1st boat he wanted to buy & has since changed his ways, he's already asked lots of pertinent questions clearly doing his research & adapting what he originally thought based on answers received, he's still here sticking it out.

Actually my house is very nice and the things I mention are pretty run of the mill for a Victorian property.

I would hazard a guess that your views on the complexities of boat ownership are jaded by the ridiculous sums of money and work you've poured into your highly stressed Sports Cruiser to keep it running and the bills would plummet if you had a narrowboat.

I dont think they would. We like to keep our boat in top condition and well maintained (some may say over the top but we dont think you can be over the top with these things) and to do that means investing time and money into the process.

I dont think there are many areas other than say fuel costs where we would save money by having a narrowboat. In fact the difference in fuel costs would be more than offset by the additional costs of licence fees and berthing fees so it would probably work out even more expensive for us to own and run a narrowboat.

We must have been lucky with out old Victorian Villa as we never had any of the issues you seem to be having with your victorian property. And our current 1930's property seems to be in full working order also smile.png

Obviously anyone who plugs in at a marina is incapable of using less electricity when they move, & clearly TJ wont be able to adapt according to that. As for showing very little in the way of resilience or get up and go I disagree, he's already taken a rollicking for giving out too much info with the 1st boat he wanted to buy & has since changed his ways, he's already asked lots of pertinent questions clearly doing his research & adapting what he originally thought based on answers received, he's still here sticking it out.

If you wish.

Only time will tell.

We shall see whos suspicions are right.

Bad example. There is no reason not to fix your house boiler yourself provided you are competent to do so. Surely the same with your Paloma?

if you have a Hudson, this is surely a task performed by your butler, if required?

Don't be ridiculous.

That is what the Head Gardener's boy is for (amongst other things).

Bad example. There is no reason not to fix your house boiler yourself provided you are competent to do so. Surely the same with your Paloma?

Don't be ridiculous.

That is what the Head Gardener's boy is for (amongst other things).

Actually got to pull you up on that one. It's illegal to work on boilers unless your gas safe registered.

Actually got to pull you up on that one. It's illegal to work on boilers unless your gas safe registered.

No, this is a common misconception put out by gas safe registered blokes. If you actually read the legislation (I have) there is just a one-liner that says you must be competent to work on gas installations. There is no definition of what competent is, nor any need to prove it.

All the rest of the legislation relates to doing it as a business (ie getting paid to do it, employing such people etc). There are additional rules for if you are renting out a property meaning for that, as a landlord, you have to use Gas Safe bods.

Edited by nicknorman

No, this is a common misconception put out by gas safe registered blokes. If you actually read the legislation (I have) there is just a one-liner that says you must be competent to work on gas installations. There is no definition of what competent is, nor any need to prove it.

All the rest of the legislation relates to doing it as a business (ie getting paid to do it, employing such people etc). There are additional rules for if you are renting out a property meaning for that, as a landlord, you have to use Gas Safe bods.

Ok I know its just a soap but corrie did a story line where tyron helped fiz with her boiler. And caused a leak giving her carbon monoxide poisoning. He didn't get paid. And he was worried about going to jail for touching the boiler.

Well if nothing else comes from this thread for you Tjderby, I hope you have now learned how to tie your boat up. (Or just get someone else to do it if your tired after work or busy ! ) but be safe,

Just you wait till you ask about Anchors ! OMG.

Hi ya N C,

It was a sort of reference to another Thread on the Equipment board that has split some opinion.

Carefull . Is it still 'Gas Safe' or some other qualifications needed now, Gas Safe may have been 'So Last Year'

Ok I know its just a soap but corrie did a story line where tyron helped fiz with her boiler. And caused a leak giving her carbon monoxide poisoning. He didn't get paid. And he was worried about going to jail for touching the boiler.

Yes, just a soap so not definitive legally! But of course it could be argued that if he had done something to the boiler that created a defect and released carbon monoxide, he was demonstrably not competent and thus not compliant with the law. So although you can DIY, that comes with a legal responsibility to do it properly. I would certainly be nervous about fixing someone else's boiler even for free.

tj you crack me up! Fancy a beer one night? We can talk boats, Sawley, anchors and boilers

Oh no you didn't,,

You didn't take a story line from a soap,and apply it in the real world did you.( BTW I think you are a great topic poster.)

Yep Ime with you Kendal,& I will even bring the Donuts. See you both there.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

When dealing with things like legislation it's not really a good idea basing your understanding on TV smile.png

Anyway, I digress.

What I think has caused the friction in this thread is this post of yours in response to doing some work in return for a cheaper mooring...

Lol is rather sit on the bow with a beer and watch people go by lol.

That, and later posts came across rather like "I've done a hard days work, why should I do some more. Let other people do it while I watch."

People aren't being unfriendly towards you or other new boaters, they're trying to make you see that you can relax, have a beer, and watch the world go by after everything else gets done first. Yes there are problems to deal with when living in a house but ones that occur when on a boat often need to take priority over everything else and only when they're done do you relax with a beer.

It's new territory but I know a lad(my age) who lives on a boat. First motivation is the opportunity to own my own home. Secondly I love being by the water. Really therapeutic. Yes a cheaper and more modest way of life. And yes i know boat maintenance can be expensive.

What people that see boats as a cheap way to own your home tend to gloss over is the fact that whilst you do own your own home, that home is going to deteriorate and depreciate in value every year you have it. I'm not saying living on a boat is a bad thing, just remember that at some point in the future (may be some years off yet though) your home will be worth very little and in contrast cost a lot to stay afloat.

Don't think that people are trying to put you off. Look at the advice and comments given and if you know that already or don't agree with what is said, don't get defensive with "I've done this before", "I've got a mate who has done this and he's fine" or "I'm not concerned with that", take it all in.

Finally, remember everyone has a different way of putting points across so while you may think people are being unfriendly, they might just be trying to make you listen and maybe make you aware of something you haven't thought of yet.

• Greenie 1

Tj- you mentioned changing the stove- Have you got an idea of the fitting costs- it may be more than the fire cost- especially if you have a double flue fitted or if the current fittings wont fit the new stove. I remember someone recently struggling to find somone to fit one around Shardlow. It might be worth checking it out- so at least you're aware. You mentioned Morso- good choice, but there are other makes. Villagers seem quite popular

Well the chimney looks like its seen better days. It might be ok but that's my lack of knowledge for ya. So is consider changing the whole lot. I know its a big job if a boats never had one but as this boat currently has one. Surely it shouldn't be to hard to take the old stove and chimney out and replace it with a new one.

As regards to boilers. I've also looked at aga.

Edited by tjderby