decent alternatives to sawley marina.

tjderby

Featured Posts

Ok so I'm looking for a mooring. Have possibility of a mooring there. But at the cost of £3015pa. With 10% discount. Which I think is extortionate. I don't mind paying upto £2000pa. Any ideas?

Mate..you need to do some googling of your own...honestly...

Check rates at Mercia, shardlow, Stenson, for a start.

next to sawley its called Derby Motor Boat Club and they take boats upto 40 foot only, you will be required to help mow the grass and generally keep the marina tidy ( i kid you not ) it's in the contract.

Depends where you want to be / need to get to every day for work. If you need public transport. Or indeed want out of a marina (electric? Waste disposal? Laundry? Showers. Etc.

For full functional marinas, you are looking at Mercia at Willington (train station nearby), Stenson, Sawley, pillings lock (if it still exists in a months time). Castle marina in Nottingham.

Redhill is next to east mids parkway train stn, and will be v cheap ( about 1000 for a 38ft), but is on the river, and is quite basic. But linear moorings so less claustrophobic. Pic of the bunch is Chapel Farm marina in Shardlow, which is both very cheap, and very nice. But has a big waiting list, but withsuch a short boat you might be lucky and get a spot sooner rather than later. Definitely wrth getting on their waiting list. I paid 1500 a year for a 70 ft boat there..

Mills dock on the Erewash, zouch marina, JD Narrowboats in Shardlow, beeston marina, Wyvern marina (5 min walk to Long Eaton train) and LTMs at cranleet, beeston, Sawley cut other good options (these are sold on CRT auction site). Willowbrook moorings in Shardlow is where I'm at, and it pay 1650 per yr for 70ft. No electric, but has water, and refuse. Linear mooring, which I like, but it's full currently.

Langley mill at the end of the Erewash (5 mins walk from train). Lots of other smaller linear mooring spots up the Erewash, down the Soar.

All will be cheaper than 3 grand for a 38ft boat.

I would probably look at Stenson (Google midland canal centre), Mercia marina and Chapel Farm marina ( no web site, but do a search on here and you'll find Dave's phone number). Being in a bit of a community to start out is a good idea, and within a year you'll have more of an idea what you want and need from a home berth, or indeed if you want one at all.. It's a very good area to cc. Lots of bus and train routes.

Forgot Shardlow Marina.. They have space, and are well priced and great community.. On the Trent. Again, will be less than half the price of Sawley, they also have laundry. It's also a campsite. Lots of choice...

We have been on Shardlow since last July and have loved it here, there is a great pub over the rd that has 2 meals for £10 (including steak) the marina always seems clean, and the toilets/ shower Deffo is cleaned by the fairy since we have never seen em but they have always just been lol

Edited by Stevie101

Ok so I'm looking for a mooring. Have possibility of a mooring there. But at the cost of £3015pa. With 10% discount. Which I think is extortionate. I don't mind paying upto £2000pa. Any ideas?

You are looking for full residential with mains hook up, water, elsan and laundry if I remember - or has that changed ?

If you are still wanting residential its going to cut down your choice.

Maybe an idea to tell what you want and what your acceptable travelling distance to work is

Contributing to the up keep of a mooring club site can bring the benefit of a reduced mooring fee....

Hey ho...

yes i think it's a fixed price for everyone, last i heard it was something like £800 a year.

Contributing to the up keep of a mooring club site can bring the benefit of a reduced mooring fee....

Hey ho...

Indeed but when you work full time last thing you want is to have to cut grass on your day off.

You are looking for full residential with mains hook up, water, elsan and laundry if I remember - or has that changed ?

If you are still wanting residential its going to cut down your choice.

Maybe an idea to tell what you want and what your acceptable travelling distance to work is

You have it spot on Alan.

Ok what I want in a mooring.

1. Electricity

2. Elsan

3. Laundry

4. Pub lol

5. Shower/toilet block

I will need to be able to commute to ilkeston. So bus route essential.

Edited by tjderby

Indeed but when you work full time last thing you want is to have to cut grass on your day off.

I cut grass when I worked full time....I did it on an evening or on my days off...not on a mooring but at my home.

The point is pay the max and don't cut grass or pay less and do your bit...you pays your money and takes your choice...

As DH said,

Not to mention the community spirit,and Networking, Expanding your Friendship Circles, Pooling Trades & Resources, and once having settled,offering help to others so maybe one day they might help you.

You never know, you may want to ask some questions about your new boat one day !.