decent alternatives to sawley marina.

tjderby

Featured Posts

Shardlow marina has the facilities, but not a direct bus route. It is on the sklylink route to derby bus station tho. They go very regularly (2 or 3 an hour daytime, hourly after 8pm) 24 hours a day. Stop just outside the marina, takes 20 mins to get to derby station.

Langley mill is on a direct bus route, bus less facilities. Town probably has laundry? It's very close to town.

Nottingham castle marina other option. Not far from bus station. But will be a loooong bus ride to Ilkeston in the morning traffic.

Fold up bike time. 15-20 mins by bike to Sawley from Shardlow along a cycle track or on the towpath(bit muddy along the Trent). Think there's a bus from Sawley to Ilkeston ( presumably why you had that top of your list)..

Not sure what mooring opportunities there are in Ilkeston.. There are a few boats up there along the offside, but not sure how you get a mooring. Basic behind industrial unit jobs.

Yeah definitely wanting the community spirit. Can't wait. Sorting through things I have that I don't need lol. Ok dog house your opinion. Which ofcourse your entitled to.

You are disregarding previous posts to mine, but then so many people come on here ask for advice and say effectively bollocks to it I will disregard it, 'fairy nuff off you pop'.

We have of course been here with you before...

Have I disregarded the info given to me by fiDodido nope. It gives me something to think about. And I appreciate all the info I get. Otherwise I'd not post on here. You just need to remember that everyone was new to narrowboats at one point, inc you. And it is a very exciting time.

Have I disregarded the info given to me by fiDodido nope. It gives me something to think about. And I appreciate all the info I get. Otherwise I'd not post on here. You just need to remember that everyone was new to narrowboats at one point, inc you. And it is a very exciting time.

I didn't allow my excitement to get in between the good advice on here,...

I wasn't referring to a single post BTW...

Indeed but when you work full time last thing you want is to have to cut grass on your day off.

Never underestimate or dismiss the therapeutic quality of lawn mowing, especially if you are working full time. It can really be quite relaxing for the mind and good exercise for the body.

Hi ya tjderby.

Can I ask, what are your main reasons for wanting to live afloat are, I'm just being nosey really,as it seams that it's a lifestyle that is completely new to you. Have you had extended boating holidays,or experience in the past for example. Or is this completely new territory for you !.

As I say,I'm just interested in your choice.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Hi ya tjderby.

Can I ask, what are your main reasons for wanting to live afloat are, I'm just being nosey really,as it seams that it's a lifestyle that is completely new to you. Have you had extended boating holidays,or experience in the past for example. Or is this completely new territory for you !.

As I say,I'm just interested in your choice.

It's new territory but I know a lad(my age) who lives on a boat. First motivation is the opportunity to own my own home. Secondly I love being by the water. Really therapeutic. Yes a cheaper and more modest way of life. And yes i know boat maintenance can be expensive.

It's new territory but I know a lad(my age) who lives on a boat. First motivation is the opportunity to own my own home. Secondly I love being by the water. Really therapeutic. Yes a cheaper and more modest way of life. And yes i know boat maintenance can be expensive.

good luck to you.

there's only one way to find if you'll take to boat living innit

Edited by LoneWolf

Indeed but when you work full time last thing you want is to have to cut grass on your day off.

You have it spot on Alan.

Ok what I want in a mooring.

1. Electricity

2. Elsan

3. Laundry

4. Pub lol

5. Shower/toilet block

I will need to be able to commute to ilkeston. So bus route essential.

We work full time, spend an hour or more travelling to our boat, an hour travelling to the boat club we are members of and then still work a shift behind the bar. It's part of being a member if a boat club for which there are other benefits. Bloody hell we don't even take advantage of the cheap moorings our club offers! I don't think cutting the grass is bad in the scheme of things.

Yeah definitely wanting the community spirit. Can't wait. Sorting through things I have that I don't need lol.

Ok dog house your opinion. Which ofcourse your entitled to.

Actually I agree with Dog House. You really don't seem to get any of it!

Lol is rather sit on the bow with a beer and watch people go by lol.

Without wanting to shatter your dreams that accounts for probably 0.01% of owning, maintaining and keeping a boat!

Rose tinted spectacles are what I diagnose you are suffering from.

Oh dear!

I would also hate to have to mow grass on my day off. Lol.

I hate having to mow it after work at home on a day where I have worked. So what? It's one of the things we have to do.

I'm must be starting to get old as I really do think that youth are just getting lazier as the years go by:(

Can I have a 50p bet that I've sussed which boat you're looking atcaptain.gif -so many clues-don't worry I wont tell

I'd go £1 its "a really strange lay-out its BSS runs out soon and its not got a bed - just a pull out setee",

In my opinion fine for a few days holiday - but would become a bit tiresome every night / morning

I'd go £1 its "a really strange lay-out its BSS runs out soon and its not got a bed - just a pull out setee",

In my opinion fine for a few days holiday - but would become a bit tiresome every night / morning

It does indeed...........

I actually had a long chat to a couple who moor at derby boat club, a couple of days ago. It seems they have a "working Party" once a month and everyone pitches in. So you do not have to mow the lawn, you could help out in other ways. As said part of living on a boat for most people is the community spirit you used to have in the local village, but what do I know?

I also discussed how we could make my boat under 49 foot!cheers.gif

pykebird, on 03 Apr 2014 - 07:46 AM, said:

I also discussed how we could make my boat under 49 foot!cheers.gif

The DBC moorings are at 90o to the cut - i'm sure if you went into the mooring at full speed a few times it would reduce your length - or - indent the bank such that your back-end was aligned with all the others

I know I'm really new to all this "boat living" as well, but my outlook is very much..."to each their own", what works well for us, wouldn't necessarily work well for others. What interest us wouldn't necessarily interest others, tasks that we find enjoyable I appreciate that others may find taxing or mundane. Mooring locations that we think are perfect, others would never dream of tying up for one night at. And visa versa to all.

Each boat owners personal circumstances will dictate what is right for them, that doesn't make it wrong surely?

Personally the thought of mowing a lawn again doesn't appeal to me at all, but I enjoy all other aspects of gardening. Tending bar once a week/month I think would be quite fun and enjoyable - Dave would probably perfer the exact opposite, to me neither are wright and neither are wrong; just a personal choice.

• Greenie 1

I know I'm really new to all this "boat living" as well, but my outlook is very much..."to each their own", what works well for us, wouldn't necessarily work well for others. What interest us wouldn't necessarily interest others, tasks that we find enjoyable I appreciate that others may find taxing or mundane. Mooring locations that we think are perfect, others would never dream of tying up for one night at. And visa versa to all.

Each boat owners personal circumstances will dictate what is right for them, that doesn't make it wrong surely?

Personally the thought of mowing a lawn again doesn't appeal to me at all, but I enjoy all other aspects of gardening. Tending bar once a week/month I think would be quite fun and enjoyable - Dave would probably perfer the exact opposite, to me neither are wright and neither are wrong; just a personal choice.

We find the bar work quite enjoyable actually despite it making for a long day when we do work the bar. We will be up at 6am for work, out of the house at 6.30am, work a full day at work in Sheffield, leave work at 5.30pm drive to Lincoln, get showered, jump on the boat and sail to Lincoln Boat Club to open for 8pm, work the bar, shut up the bar at about 1am usually, go find some food, go find a beer at one of the late opening bars, jump into bed at between 2-3am and crash out. Its part of being a member of a club, helping out however you can. As we dont live in Lincoln we were pretty limited as to what duties we could choose from so working the bar seemed the obvious choice. In return we were offered a mooring for £700 per year which is a saving of about £500 per year on what we pay now, but we declined that offer as the commute too and from work would be some 30 minutes longer as we would have to do battle with Lincoln city traffic both ways.