decent alternatives to sawley marina.

tjderby

Featured Posts

We work full time, spend an hour or more travelling to our boat, an hour travelling to the boat club we are members of and then still work a shift behind the bar. It's part of being a member if a boat club for which there are other benefits. Bloody hell we don't even take advantage of the cheap moorings our club offers! I don't think cutting the grass is bad in the scheme of things.

Actually I agree with Dog House. You really don't seem to get any of it!

Without wanting to shatter your dreams that accounts for probably 0.01% of owning, maintaining and keeping a boat!

Rose tinted spectacles are what I diagnose you are suffering from.

Oh dear!

I hate having to mow it after work at home on a day where I have worked. So what? It's one of the things we have to do.

I'm must be starting to get old as I really do think that youth are just getting lazier as the years go by:(

Excuse me I resent being called lazy. I'm a full time social care worker. My job is to make sure our residents have a good quality of life. This includes all personal care, cooking, taking em out for appointments, laundry and cleaning etc.... So no I am by no means lazy. And very offended to be called so.

This includes all personal care, cooking, taking em out for appointments, laundry and cleaning etc.... So no I am by no means lazy. And very offended to be called so.

Do you mow their lawn?

(sorry, couldn't resist).

Personally I haven't seen you post anything that should prohibit you from living on a boat but there are those that think anyone who doesn't cruise day and night, stinking of diesel, wearing a bowler hat and neckerchief and clog dances on the Greyhound Inn's tables when finally moored up isn't a proper boater.

• Greenie 1

Do you mow their lawn?

Personally I haven't seen you post anything that should prohibit you from living on a boat but there are those that think anyone who doesn't cruise day and night, stinking of diesel, wearing a bowler hat and neckerchief and clog dances on the Greyhound Inn's tables when finally moored up isn't a proper boater.

No we have a maintenance man who does that lol. And I know, oldgoat as right pissed me off. So what I work full time and want to live on a boat. Yes partially because its cheaper. Mainly because its a slower pace of life. And very relaxing. With plenty of opportunity to get close to nature. I have plenty of time when I retire to travel every single canal and river. For now I'm happy just taking her out when I have ,annual leave. You don't take it for granted then. Cause you only get to travel up and down the canals on occasions.

• Greenie 1

Excuse me I resent being called lazy. I'm a full time social care worker. My job is to make sure our residents have a good quality of life. This includes all personal care, cooking, taking em out for appointments, laundry and cleaning etc.... So no I am by no means lazy. And very offended to be called so.

Oh grow up!

My son does exactly the same job as you, then comes home to his young 2 children, helps to look after them, does his garden, helps with his children's school, helps with other community things and still finds time to enjoy himself.

Boating is very much a "Community" thing especially in some marinas and you will be expected to "do your bit". If you don't you are very quickly going to find that you will be considered the lazy young brat who no-one will want to help, advise or speak to.

In the learning disabilities sector? Mrs. Athy was manageress of one of those homes in Ilson before we moved Eastwards. There were very few lazy staff members, and the ones that were didn't last long.

Oh grow up!

My son does exactly the same job as you, then comes home to his young 2 children, helps to look after them, does his garden, helps with his children's school, helps with other community things and still finds time to enjoy himself.

Boating is very much a "Community" thing especially in some marinas and you will be expected to "do your bit". If you don't you are very quickly going to find that you will be considered the lazy young brat who no-one will want to help, advise or speak to.

As somebody who hates mowing lawns, cutting hedges and any other gardening activity I fully understand the OP's aversion to doing it in order to secure a cheaper mooring.

and what's all this "Boating is a "community" thing anyway?

Boating is an activity that is done by people from all walks of life and some folk are club joiners and others like the solitude and peace and quiet.

Nobody is obliged to join in with the Gin-Gang-Gooley stuff if they don't want to and, these days, the majority of boaters seem to choose not to.

Do you mow their lawn?

So you saw me go by earlier then Carlt !. Sorry i couldnt stop, i had my Dancing Clogs on, & was running late.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

I'm sorry you just don't come across the type who has thought this through that's all.

If mowing a strip of grass seems like too much hard work for you I'm not sure how you expect day to day living on a boat will be any easier!

It isn't like living in a house!

I'm not sure why you think living on a boat is 'relaxing'. It's a whole load more work than living on the bank in my experience.

MtB

I'm sure he will figure this out when he moves aboard and no doubt we will then have the whinging about the loo being full, water tank empty, gas bottle run out, no shops nearby why did no one tell me this sort of posts!

I'm not sure why you think living on a boat is 'relaxing'.

Because it is.

I can't stand all the crap that goes with living in a house and can't wait to get back to a life where the biggest worry is whether the cassette is going to last another night.

Life on a boat is a piece of cake compared to living in a house.

... and the basin at Langley is a great place to moor, yes its a bit grim around but the contrast with the basin itself couldn't be greater... and there is a large ASDA and other shops a short walk away.

o9mDaUs.jpg

According to my new Pearsons "East Midlands" Canal Companion delivered today, there is a Laundrette about 5 mins walk from the Great Northern Basin at Langley Mill too.. So, it has decent moorings, leccy, close to railway station and Ilkeston, is picturesque (at least by the water), has a very good boatyard for fixing things, an Asda, Lidl, Macdonalds and KFC all within 5 mins walk..

Sounds compelling to me ;)

Also a nicely refurbished swing bridge :D

Hello again Tjderby.

Make no bones about it,I would hazard a guess, most of us started with little or no knowledge of boats or life afloat.

And Freely admit I know very little about life afloat on the Inland Waterways. After all I'm just a Thick, Almost Illiterate, Cider Drinking, Donut Eating Bloke from the West Country.

But yep I'm guilty of wondering weather you have fully thought this important move through.

Can't put my finger on it,but I just get the impression that,,,well,,, I just think life afloat for you,is going to be a bit of a shock to your idea of what you thought it was going to be.

I truly wish you all the best though,and as always,the best tool in your Boating Tool Box should be access to This Forum,in my opinion.

Have you ever worked as an estate agent, FD? You have the talent! Ilson is the r'sole of the world and Langley Mill is three miles up it, yet you effortlessly make them sound desirable.

At least you put a comma after Ilkeston. If you hadn't done so, "Ilkeston is picturesque" would surely have stretched credibility too far.

Have you ever worked as an estate agent, FD? You have the talent! Ilson is the r'sole of the world and Langley Mill is three miles up it, yet you effortlessly make them sound desirable.

At least you put a comma after Ilkeston. If you hadn't done so, "Ilkeston is picturesque" would surely have stretched credibility too far.

No - but I do write for a living.

Despite that, the stretch of canal just below Langley Mill is very pleasant, and so is the mooring alongside the park in Ilkeston. Its better than Stoke (Not saying much!!).

It does appear that some posting on this forum hold a narrow view of what qualifies someone as a "boater" and are keen to make those who fall outside of their definition unwelcome. Hopefully the OP can recognise and ignore this.

Cheers Paul. It's such a shame that a few people make new boaters feel unwelcome. Though this doesn't bother me. Cause I'll still be around enjoying my boat and the lifestyle way after they're no longer around. I do not wish to mow the lawn or do any sort of gardening as it bores me. Why do people seem to think that I'll be on my boat crying because the water will run out, toilet will be fun and run out of gas. All of which are easily refilled or emptied lol. I appreciate all the advise and the friendly Falk on this site. The other I just don't have time for.

Willesse Tjderby !.

?????

In the learning disabilities sector? Mrs. Athy was manageress of one of those homes in Ilson before we moved Eastwards. There were very few lazy staff members, and the ones that were didn't last long.

Yes it is.

Cheers Paul. It's such a shame that a few people make new boaters feel unwelcome. Though this doesn't bother me. Cause I'll still be around enjoying my boat and the lifestyle way after they're no longer around. I do not wish to mow the lawn or do any sort of gardening as it bores me. Why do people seem to think that I'll be on my boat crying because the water will run out, toilet will be fun and run out of gas. All of which are easily refilled or emptied lol. I appreciate all the advise and the friendly Falk on this site. The other I just don't have time for.

TJ you seem to misunderstand yet again, and forgive me if you think I am being unfriendly by saying this but all you are being offered on here his previous experience and prior knowledge about what this boating malarkey is about.

It might not always be what you want to hear or fit with any pre conceived ideas you might or might not have, but none of of it is based on 'unfriendliness'....