decent alternatives to sawley marina.

tjderby

Featured Posts

Cheers Paul. It's such a shame that a few people make new boaters feel unwelcome. Though this doesn't bother me. Cause I'll still be around enjoying my boat and the lifestyle way after they're no longer around. I do not wish to mow the lawn or do any sort of gardening as it bores me. Why do people seem to think that I'll be on my boat crying because the water will run out, toilet will be fun and run out of gas. All of which are easily refilled or emptied lol. I appreciate all the advise and the friendly Falk on this site. The other I just don't have time for.

You still seem to be missing the point!

I fear you are going to be in for a big shock. You seem to think that people are being unfriendly when they point out the harder parts of life afloat. It's not being unfriendly it's taking of the rose tinted spectacles and being realistic for a few minutes.

Yes there will be occasions where you can kick back and sit with a glass of wine but there will also be occasions when you question the sanity of your desicion to live afloat. Times when your tap is frozen and it's a ten minute walk down slippery pontoons to lug water back to the boat. Times when the gas runs out mid meal and you have to head outside in a howling gale and rain to change the bottle. Times when the loo is full and no chance to empty it.

Don't get me wrong there are good times and they make it all worthwhile but being realistic there are also shit moments. Don't go into this blindfolded!

Hello again Tjderby.

Make no bones about it,I would hazard a guess, most of us started with little or no knowledge of boats or life afloat.

And Freely admit I know very little about life afloat on the Inland Waterways. After all I'm just a Thick, Almost Illiterate, Cider Drinking, Donut Eating Bloke from the West Country.

But yep I'm guilty of wondering weather you have fully thought this important move through.

Can't put my finger on it,but I just get the impression that,,,well,,, I just think life afloat for you,is going to be a bit of a shock to your idea of what you thought it was going to be.

I truly wish you all the best though,and as always,the best tool in your Boating Tool Box should be access to This Forum,in my opinion.

sometimes it's better not to think things through too much. I'd been thinking about getting a boat to possibly live on for a few years. I'd been on a few holidays so knew how to move a boat but nothing else. Whenever i started to 'do research' my mind just kinda froze at all the variables and i didn't get very far.

It wasn't until i decided that step one was 'buy a boat' and not worry about the other stuff that my vague plans started coming to fruition

It's a steep learning curve but it's possible to learn on a need to know basis

Cheers Paul. It's such a shame that a few people make new boaters feel unwelcome. Though this doesn't bother me. Cause I'll still be around enjoying my boat and the lifestyle way after they're no longer around. I do not wish to mow the lawn or do any sort of gardening as it bores me. Why do people seem to think that I'll be on my boat crying because the water will run out, toilet will be fun and run out of gas. All of which are easily refilled or emptied lol. I appreciate all the advise and the friendly Falk on this site. The other I just don't have time for.

I hope my post didn't make you feel unwelcome, sorry if it did. it was just a friendly reminder that boating came with it's own chores.

and my comments about your age weren't intended as a slur either. tbh you're a breath of fresh air, lots of posters i enjoy are posting less often nowadays

sometimes it's better not to think things through too much. I'd been thinking about getting a boat to possibly live on for a few years. I'd been on a few holidays so knew how to move a boat but nothing else. Whenever i started to 'do research' my mind just kinda froze at all the variables and i didn't get very far.

It wasn't until i decided that step one was 'buy a boat' and not worry about the other stuff that my vague plans started coming to fruition

It's a steep learning curve but it's possible to learn on a need to know basis

I hope my post didn't make you feel unwelcome, sorry if it did. it was just a friendly reminder that boating came with it's own chores.

and my comments about your age weren't intended as a slur either. tbh you're a breath of fresh air, lots of posters i enjoy are posting less often nowadays

That's absolutely fine. I just take certain comments with a pinch of salt. I just remember that everyone was new to boating at some point.

Life is like a box of chocolates, without completing the verse sometimes it's just good to not look too far ahead

Precisely, life is to short to worry about little things. Lice for today cause tomorrow's not guaranteed.

I use to work on a traveling fair and I did all that(minus the pontoons) there. I've lived in confined spaces. As for problems with the boat, that's no different to owning a house. Same as frozen pipes.

Except your water is piped into your hose from the mains, your electric is cabled into the house, there at a flick of a switch in an unlimited supply, gas at the touch of a button in an unlimited supply and waste taken away never to be seen again.

Yep, exactly the same.........

Life is like a box of chocolates, without completing the verse sometimes it's just good to not look too far ahead

Life is indeed like a box of chocolates. But just because you ignore the ones you don't like it doesn't make them disappear!

Except your water is piped into your hose from the mains, your electric is cabled into the house, there at a flick of a switch in an unlimited supply, gas at the touch of a button in an unlimited supply and waste taken away never to be seen again.

Life is indeed like a box of chocolates. But just because you ignore the ones you don't like it doesn't make them disappear!

Yes it does, eventually they find the bin like the rest of the un palatable rubbish.

That's absolutely fine. I just take certain comments with a pinch of salt. I just remember that everyone was new to boating at some point.

Precisely, life is to short to worry about little things. Lice for today cause tomorrow's not guaranteed.

Ah! There are parasites around wherever one goes............

Bit confused by that comment. You calling me a parasite?

It was a joke TJ....see your post above :)

It does appear that some posting on this forum hold a narrow view of what qualifies someone as a "boater" and are keen to make those who fall outside of their definition unwelcome. Hopefully the OP can recognise and ignore this.

Because it is.

I can't stand all the crap that goes with living in a house and can't wait to get back to a life where the biggest worry is whether the cassette is going to last another night.

Life on a boat is a piece of cake compared to living in a house.

Very well said, both of you

next to sawley its called Derby Motor Boat Club and they take boats upto 40 foot only, you will be required to help mow the grass and generally keep the marina tidy ( i kid you not ) it's in the contract.

That is because it is a club not a marina. Def leisure only too Edited by jelunga

I don't know if it's just my interpretation but you are coming across really badly in this thread, like bordering on being a nasty piece of work.

• Greenie 2

All this thread grief seems to have arisen because tj said he didn't want to mow the grass - great guy one minute, idle parasite* the next, the difference being some grass - sometimes the forum can be so fickle!

*yes I know it was a joke arising out of his typo.

Personally I seem to manage to be a happy boater without cutting the grass at our marina. Maybe tj has slightly rose tinted specs on but surely that is normal for one considering such a change of lifestyle. I think he is to be commended for getting off his arse and actually doing it, rather than sitting at home and whining about how life is SO UNFAIR!

If it doesn't work out, at least he will have tried. It probably will work out because the young are far more resilient than us old codgers.

• Greenie 1

All this thread grief seems to have arisen because tj said he didn't want to mow the grass - great guy one minute, idle parasite* the next, the difference being some grass - sometimes the forum can be so fickle!

Personally I seem to manage to be a happy boater without cutting the grass at our marina. Maybe tj has slightly rose tinted specs on but surely that is normal for one considering such a change of lifestyle. I think he is to be commended for getting off his arse and actually doing it, rather than sitting at home and whining about how life is SO UNFAIR!

If it doesn't work out, at least he will have tried. It probably will work out because the young are far more resilient than us old codgers.

Have a virtual greenie as I ran out of the real kind.. with some cream and a strawberry on top too!

Well said. Not to mention we can adapt very well. I can't help being very excited.

Just one thing I wanted to pick up on this post. Regarding electricity being wired to to houses and on all the time at the push of a button. So does a cable running from a meter to your boat not count for the same. It's still electricity being fed by wire to your boat. And available 24/7 at the push of a button. Edited by tjderby

Well said. Not to mention we can adapt very well. I can't help being very excited.

Just one thing I wanted to pick up on this post. Regarding electricity being wired to to houses and on all the time at the push of a button. So does a cable running from a meter to your boat not count for the same. It's still electricity being fed by wire to your boat. And available 24/7 at the push of a button.

Well some might say, perish the thought, that 'proper boating' involves moving the boat around.

These same people might also say living your life in a boat 'on the tit'* sucking away at a permanently connected shoreline for energy isn't really proper boating and you'll get dissatisfied with it pretty quickly, once you realise the possibilites otherwise available to you and the wonderlust kicks in.

MtB

*In a marina, connected up and growing reliant on unlimited shoreline power. Credit to LoneWolf for coining that term!

Just one thing I wanted to pick up on this post. Regarding electricity being wired to to houses and on all the time at the push of a button. So does a cable running from a meter to your boat not count for the same. It's still electricity being fed by wire to your boat. And available 24/7 at the push of a button.

Thing us it's a boat and moves. You won't be plugged in 24/7. And it's those who plug in all the time at the marina who suddenly find they can't cope when away from their umilical cord so run their engine 24/7 instead.

I disagree.

But I suppose we will see.

TJ has shown very little in the way of resilience or get up and go thus far what will change?

Well if nothing else comes from this thread for you Tjderby, I hope you have now learned how to tie your boat up. (Or just get someone else to do it if your tired after work or busy ! ) but be safe,

Just you wait till you ask about Anchors ! OMG.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2