We've gone and done it! - Any thoughts for a newbie?

Steve Richards

Featured Posts

Hi all,

My other half and I have been out looking at boats for about a year with the aim of buying one to enjoy once we retire this August (early retirement for both of us which is a bit of a miracle these days!). It'll be for days away and the odd 1 or 2 or maybe even 3 or 4 week break but not as a liveaboard.

And then the Saturday before last we saw a boat we liked so much that after a bit of jiggling with the mortgage and a successful test run - the 60 year old Lister engine was the only thing I was edgy about - we offered, negotiated and agreed a price (£35,000). So, subject to survey (13th Feb), we will hopefully be the proud owners of a 56 footer in a few weeks time. I'm interested to know what people think of the boat and any advice for a newbie (we've rented a couple of times but never owned our own before).

http://www.braunstonmarina.co.uk/Findaboat/tabid/66/id/523/boat-name/Margaret%20Mary/Default.aspx

We bought through Braunston Marina but will probably moor at Kingfisher Marina just north of Milton Keynes - rates seem very reasonable and it's only 40 minutes drive from our house. We're off to take a look this Saturday.

Looking forward to communicating with people on this forum - seems like a friendly place with lots of useful advice. I've already gleaned a load of useful stuff just through browsing..

Steve

Nice looking boat.

My understanding is that is a reputable shell builder and the fit out from the pics. looks OK too.

Can't comment on the engine as I know bog all about ye olde engine installations like that but overall a nice purchase and at what seems like a good price too.

It should suit it's intended purpose nicely.

and welcome to the forum.

Hi and welcome.

Just two comments on the boat, unusual layout but if you like it, no problem, think where you will be sitting when not moving the boat.

Second try out the bed, it is a cross bed and if you or your partner are near six foot, or more, it may be tight.

Nothing else obvious, looks a nice boat.

Welcome aboard (well, nearly) Steve & Mrs. Steve.

Bottle, good point about bed length - we have a crossbed and it is just long enough for me to stretch out completely (I'm about 5'11").

Regarding the Lister FR ( Freedom Range) engine, either it will have done hardly any work before being installed (e.g. as a stand-by industrial unit), or most of its innards will be closer to 2004 than 1954. They have the reputation of being reliable, and if they do go wrong there are experienced bods who can mend them (including at least one member of this forum).

Hi and welcome.

Just two comments on the boat, unusual layout but if you like it, no problem, think where you will be sitting when not moving the boat.

Second try out the bed, it is a cross bed and if you or your partner are near six foot, or more, it may be tight.

Nothing else obvious, looks a nice boat.

Thanks for that and the other ultra quick welcomes

Yes we're ok with the layout which we think/hope will work for us. And yes we tried out the bed (I'm 5ft 11in and was fine but only just). A cross bed was something we were keen on to give us 4ft 6in width.

The engine's going to be interesting and has a better room than our bedroom (and about the same size!) One of the guys at Braunston (Carl - extremely helpful) started it and the use of a hairdryer - because it hadn't been started for a few weeks - was to me novel but seemed to do the trick.

Steve

The engine's going to be interesting and has a better room than our bedroom (and about the same size!) One of the guys at Braunston (Carl - extremely helpful) started it and the use of a hairdryer - because it hadn't been started for a few weeks - was to me novel but seemed to do the trick.

Steve

That's the softly-softly method - when my Gardner (also a rebuilt 1950s engine) was new inside and still tight, a kind friend started it for me by shoving a lighted blowlamp into the air intake! The engine didn't seem to mind.

As well as the available width, a crossbed has the advantage that it saves you about a foot and a half of precious lengthways space.

Don't know the boat, but going on description and photos, you have a good boat at a good price.

A small point, you may need an extra tall exhaust stack - can't see the current one to check - as the exhaust exits not far from the steering position, and its not good to inhale that stuff long term! (Just have to look out for bridges).

Don't know the boat, but going on description and photos, you have a good boat at a good price.

A small point, you may need an extra tall exhaust stack - can't see the current one to check - as the exhaust exits not far from the steering position, and its not good to inhale that stuff long term! (Just have to look out for bridges).

Thank Mike. It does have a tall exhaust stack - and also a shorter one for low bridges.

BTW - One of the first things we want to do is change the name and get the name painted on. I think we're going to go for 'Smoke & Mirrors'.

Steve

Thank Mike. It does have a tall exhaust stack - and also a shorter one for low bridges.

BTW - One of the first things we want to do is change the name and get the name painted on. I think we're going to go for 'Smoke & Mirrors'.

Steve

Hi Steve, looks a nice boat, good luck with the survey.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! boat.gif

ETA Good name, no one else seems to have it, according to jim shead's site.

Edited by Beaker

Welcome afloat.

A newish BSS should give some confidence.

A tall exhaust is a good plan.

It having been knocked off a few times, its now a nice loose fit on the stub and can be whipped off at a moments notice if something happens. Keep gloves or a rag nearby for this as it will be h h h hot.

Welcome afloat.

A newish BSS should give some confidence.

A tall exhaust is a good plan.

It having been knocked off a few times, its now a nice loose fit on the stub and can be whipped off at a moments notice if something happens. Keep gloves or a rag nearby for this as it will be h h h hot.

Good thinking - a rag it'll be

Steve

As far as moorings go, big tick from me on your intention to be close to home. If you want to be on the boat for days, nights out, just there at the marina meeting people, being close enough just to pop down for a few hours makes ALL the difference to having the boat as part of your weekly life. It's what we did.

Mind you, it is also about the Marina itself. We could have come even closer to home but decided against that option.

And I like the boat too - it has a good 'feel' ... even over the internet!

Jo

I'd say you have nothing to worry about with that Lister. After a few dozen compliments from towpath passers-by you'll suddenly realise it has become your pride and joy!

MtB

I wasn't going to tell him that bit, I thought it would be nice for him to find out for himself!

However, since we've started....Steve, when you're moored up with the engine running, expect a steady trickle of passers-by (mainly, but not exclusively, chaps with beards) stopping, smiling dreamily and gawping through your engine room side doors as your FR throbs away. Some may ask to photograph it (so keep the brassy bits shiny at all times - you never know when the next beardy is due). One or two (this has happened to me) may even produce a small tape recorder and ask if they can record it. After a few weeks of this you'll find you have a permanent Cheshire cat grin and you won't be able to fit your head through the door. A word of warning: many of the beardies will ask you about the beastie's history, so if you don't know, invent an interesting story.

I swear that the following tale is true. I was moored at Cropredy last summer when a boat came trundling past which had some ancient, obviously single-cylinder engine. The chap on the boat moored next to ours declared to his friend "I could fook that". Noting his mate's surprise, he defensively added "Well, it's only got one 'ole".

Be prepared!

Vintage engine rooms are fun are they not?

My engine room has more Gardner Logo's/badges in it that's good for it - I still get faces inside asking what engine type it is!

They didn't have a very good English teacher at school.

At least they probably realise that it's an engine, I had one bod gazing lovingly at my Gardner for a couple of minutes, then he said "I like your generator, mate".

See the fun which lies ahead, Steve?

Oh, he's gone off to cancel his order.

Martyn, I'm sure David Bailey does not work for them, but what's the problem with the photos? They look reasonable.

Edited by Athy

Lovely looking boat you've got. I love the engine!

I also bought my boat from Braunston a few months ago. If you arrange with them to have any work done on the boat before purchase, be 100% sure before you part with money or leave them marina, that all the work has been completed.

They guys that do the work (carl etc) are great, but the bosses in the office gave me the impression they didn't know wether they were coming or going and the phrase 'headless chickens' sring to mind more than once. They were however lovely people and I would be happy to buy or sell a boat through them again.

Who are you having survey the boat?

Lovely looking boat you've got. I love the engine!

I also bought my boat from Braunston a few months ago. If you arrange with them to have any work done on the boat before purchase, be 100% sure before you part with money or leave them marina, that all the work has been completed.

They guys that do the work (carl etc) are great, but the bosses in the office gave me the impression they didn't know wether they were coming or going and the phrase 'headless chickens' sring to mind more than once. They were however lovely people and I would be happy to buy or sell a boat through them again.

Who are you having survey the boat?

Craig Allen's doing the survey. Thanks for the advice re any work by Braunston.

I must admit even on the little test drive I did I liked the sound of the engine. Perhaps I'll end up growing a beard.