waste water disposal

paneuro

Featured Posts

Just wondered were washing up water, sink water etc went and how it is disposed of

In the canal or river your boat is on. It's often called 'gray water'.

You can get environmentally washing products if this concerns you.

In the canal or river your boat is on. It's often called 'gray water'.

You can get environmentally washing products if this concerns you.

A misnomer in my opinion and it is usually mostly a sort of beige colour.

(Also colour so beloved of Coldplay fans :D )

I got a gobful from a woman in a pub beer garden when I emptied a cafetiere of coffee into the cut off the stern. I actually stopped to see why she was yelling and arm waving at me, and the crux of it was "now why did you do that and dirty up the canal when you could just as easily have gone inside and tipped it down your sink!" :lol:

I got a gobful from a woman in a pub beer garden when I emptied a cafetiere of coffee into the cut off the stern. I actually stopped to see why she was yelling and arm waving at me, and the crux of it was "now why did you do that and dirty up the canal when you could just as easily have gone inside and tipped it down your sink!" laugh.png

She clearly was a woman that knew nothing about boats.

Peter.

I got a gobful from a woman in a pub beer garden when I emptied a cafetiere of coffee into the cut off the stern. I actually stopped to see why she was yelling and arm waving at me, and the crux of it was "now why did you do that and dirty up the canal when you could just as easily have gone inside and tipped it down your sink!" laugh.png

Did you tell her that sink and shower water drains into the canal, what was her reaction?

Jan once got a withering look from a walker when she flung the side hatches open which are directly behind the sink and poured the washing up water from the bowl into the canal. I suppose it somehow 'looks' worse doing it like that even though of course it doesn't make any real difference how it gets there.

• 3 weeks later...

It goes to the canal unfortunately. Regrettably it would be very complicated to have to dispose it somewhere more sensible away from the wildlife.

But the birds,fish, rats etc all pee and worse in the canal so surely a bit of washing up water isn't that bad

I want to believe you are kidding!!

I'd consider Wiels disease (carried in Rat urine and then into the canal) to be a 'tad' worse than washing up water.

What is it?

Weil’s disease is a secondary phase of a form of a bacterial infection also known as Leptospirosis. Leptospirosis can infect almost any animal where it is harboured in the kidneys, but most commonly it is found in rats and cattle, and is spread by their urine. It is not known to cause any noticeable illness in rats, so populations are unaffected by high levels of infection. It is one of the most widespread zoonosis (disease spread from animals to humans) in the world, where it is most common in tropical and subtropical environments. Those who participate in water sports, come into contact with untreated water, and work in or near water are at a higher risk than others as it is most commonly passed to humans through water contaminated by rat urine.

Statistics

According to the Health Protection Agency there are usually less than 40 cases of leptospirosis throughout England and Wales per year reported in humans. In 2006 there were 44 laboratory confirmed cases of leptospirosis in England and Wales.

I'd consider Wiels disease (carried in Rat urine and then into the canal) to be a 'tad' worse than washing up water.

What is it?

Weil’s disease is a secondary phase of a form of a bacterial infection also known as Leptospirosis. Leptospirosis can infect almost any animal where it is harboured in the kidneys, but most commonly it is found in rats and cattle, and is spread by their urine. It is not known to cause any noticeable illness in rats, so populations are unaffected by high levels of infection. It is one of the most widespread zoonosis (disease spread from animals to humans) in the world, where it is most common in tropical and subtropical environments. Those who participate in water sports, come into contact with untreated water, and work in or near water are at a higher risk than others as it is most commonly passed to humans through water contaminated by rat urine.

Statistics

According to the Health Protection Agency there are usually less than 40 cases of leptospirosis throughout England and Wales per year reported in humans. In 2006 there were 44 laboratory confirmed cases of leptospirosis in England and Wales.

Ok on the rats but have you seen the lovely ducklings?!

Ok on the rats but have you seen the lovely ducklings?!

Yes its a pleasure to watch them 'lurching' about and trying to flop onto the pontoons - problem is we have some huge Pike around us and you can be watchng the Ducklings when all of a sudden there is a disturbance and down one of them goes never to re-surface.

Yes its a pleasure to watch them 'lurching' about and trying to flop onto the pontoons - problem is we have some huge Pike around us and you can be watchng the Ducklings when all of a sudden there is a disturbance and down one of them goes never to re-surface.

Oh Dear...!