Blacking costs

Ca Jon

Featured Posts

I will need mine doing this yr when the weather gets better, anyone know where is the cheapest place to get the boat out of the water, I'm on the Ormskirk/Burscough branch of the Leeds Liverpool...my boat is only 42ft, what money am I looking at paying? I could probably do the blacking myself, but if it's not too expensive can pay for the job

If you can get it for anywhere near £8 per foot including out of the water and back in, you'll be doing well. (Based on my last time but one, at Red Bull Services, nowhere near the decadent South!)

No, the OP will do very well to get anywhere near £8 per foot close to the area they are in, unfortunately.

Not a lot of competition, and generally a lot more than that, (budget on probably at least £10 per foot with VAT on top of that).

They would probably save significant money by travelling North to Blisworth or Braunston, from what I have seen, if they are able to do that.

I will need mine doing this yr when the weather gets better, anyone know where is the cheapest place to get the boat out of the water, I'm on the Ormskirk/Burscough branch of the Leeds Liverpool...my boat is only 42ft, what money am I looking at paying? I could probably do the blacking myself, but if it's not too expensive can pay for the job

Hi,

Two choices Wigan dry dock for DIY or Scarisbrick Marina DIY or they will do for you

Ray

Hi,

Two choices Wigan dry dock for DIY or Scarisbrick Marina DIY or they will do for you

Ray

Don't fancy Scarisbrick Marina...:/ I think St.Marys at Rufford have facility..I'll have to give them a call to find out the charges...Thanks Ray

so about £420 mark?

No, the OP will do very well to get anywhere near £8 per foot close to the area they are in, unfortunately.

Not a lot of competition, and generally a lot more than that, (budget on probably at least £10 per foot with VAT on top of that).

They would probably save significant money by travelling North to Blisworth or Braunston, from what I have seen, if they are able to do that.

£10 or over plus Vat seems steep to me but as you say of there is not much competition in the area then they can get away with it.

I was quoted aprox £540 inc vat for a 50ft boat just this week from Braunston Marina. They are about the most expensive in the area but seem to do a good job. UCC by the bottom lock usually quite a bit less and probably cheapest. I was quoted £420 at the bottom lock chandlers inc vat.

I am going to Rose Narrowboats they were £390 inc vat (£7.80 per ft inc vat) and as they are only 50 mins away from where we have the boat moored it is convenient.

I guess it shows what a bit of competition can do to control prices.

Interesting - bear in mind if you have a 'tug' style boat it costs more for the extra 'height' of blacking,................

Nobody has ever suggested that to me.

Don't a lot of (modern) tug style boats actually have a shallower hull than something like a Springer?

I have just done my 44ft boat at St Mary,s last week. Cost for lift in and out/power wash off/hire of boat house for 3 days plus 2 tins of coflex vt was £302.00 inc vat

Oh, Exfire just what I'm wanting to hear that's great, they must have re-built the boat shed then..that's brilliant, not break the bank at that price..where did you buy the corflex from?...I'll have to get it booked in..

Nice to meet you by the way..you must be quite near..I'm near to crab tree swing bridge / scarisbrick....at the Holiday Park Shaw Hall it's great love it :)

Edited by BlueBelle1

Hi,

Interesting - bear in mind if you have a 'tug' style boat it costs more for the extra 'height' of blacking, add for re-painting stern bands and perhaps renewal of some anodes...........

L.

First time I've ever heard that. I've got a 'tug' style and nobody told me I would have to pay extra when I got my boat blacked.

As Leo has said there might be extras and also you need to be aware of the specification and the standards that apply to each price. When I last did a modern boat, Warrior, I shot blasted the blasted the hull and applied 5 coats of Corflex VT, allowing it to dry properly between each coat and then I allowed it to dry thoroughly before it was put back in. Two year later I lifted it out for a check and the hull was perfect but I applied another 2 coats of VT and allowed it to dry. Soon after I sold the boat and the new owners, who are serious about looking after their boat :) dry docked it a year later(they did not have a survey) to check it and said it was perfect but I believe they still put on another two coats.

Nobody has ever suggested that to me.

Don't a lot of (modern) tug style boats actually have a shallower hull than something like a Springer?

Hi

Blacking normally covers the area from the baseplate up to the rubbing strakes, tug styles usually require blacking up the the gunwal.

Some require extra payment for this area - possibly a regional difference as last time I did not have to pay extra when work was carried our near Rugby, but when undertaken on a more local base i was charged. I got 2 more days free on the slipway than those booked to allow for 'drying out' so it's a 'swings and roundabouts' deal..

I normally pay extra for a couple more coats around the waterline and for careful blacking of the inside of the weed hatch.

L

Edited by LEO