barby moorings

yellowpages

Featured Posts

Ay up?

Don't understand what needs sorting out?

We have a WB 57ft. by 10.10 and we've been up to the winding ol past Barby Moorings a few times with no issues, and yes we passed other boats both moored and oncoming, one of which was a fairly wide CRT work boat with no issues. And to add a bit of honey to the pot, it was in the "busy season" and we were very much novices.

I appreciate it wouldn't be all that pleasant to get stuck behind a WB for any length of time as we need to travel so slowly to avoid disturbing the banks and moored boats, but I would hope that most are like us, and pull over to let narrow boats past as often as possible.

quote name="Captain Fizz" post="1403076" timestamp="1411589586"]What Bettie said, let's try a little tolerance.

More or less what I was thinking

Ay up?

Don't understand what needs sorting out?

We have a WB 57ft. by 10.10 and we've been up to the winding ol past Barby Moorings a few times with no issues, and yes we passed other boats both moored and oncoming, one of which was a fairly wide CRT work boat with no issues. And to add a bit of honey to the pot, it was in the "busy season" and we were very much novices.

I appreciate it wouldn't be all that pleasant to get stuck behind a WB for any length of time as we need to travel so slowly to avoid disturbing the banks and moored boats, but I would hope that most are like us, and pull over to let narrow boats past as often as possible.

I hope you were not the widebeam I passed twice a back in the summer. Once tied up the Hillmorton side of the offset bridge between Kilsby Lane and the Barby straight and once on the first length through the A45 road bridge as you come into Braunston from Hillmorton.

Anyone who knows the Oxford Canal between Braunston and Hillmorton will know what the visibility is like in the former, and to tie a widebeam at the latter location boggles belief. Fortunately in both cases there were no boats coming in the opposite direction but whoever tied a boat in either location would have no cause for complaint if they were hit.

I hope you were not the widebeam I passed twice a back in the summer. Once tied up the Hillmorton side of the offset bridge between Kilsby Lane and the Barby straight and once on the first length through the A45 road bridge as you come into Braunston from Hillmorton.

Anyone who knows the Oxford Canal between Braunston and Hillmorton will know what the visibility is like in the former, and to tie a widebeam at the latter location boggles belief. Fortunately in both cases there were no boats coming in the opposite direction but whoever tied a boat in either location would have no cause for complaint if they were hit.

No idea David, what did the wide beam look like and I'll let you know if it was indeed us.

The only time we "moored" anywhere on that stretch was when we were having the bike rack welded to the back of the boat, for all of a little over an hour. So if you noticed a narrow boat moored in front of us, and a portable welding unit on the tow path, with a lovely ol' git (couldn't resist Capt Fizz) with two other ol' gits standing watching then yes, it was more than likely us.

The other times we went up there was simply for a cruise and we just went to the winding hole past Barby, turned and back to Braunston

Narrow boats for narrow canals, wide beams to pay square footage as the Thames, why should we put up with them encroaching on our waterways on a subsidised rate.

LMAO - "encroaching on our waterways" clapping.gif your way too funny

Could you please let me know how I apply for these subsidizes? I haven't heard of this special wide beam rate before.

ETA - does that mean my license fee, along with all other WB license fees; only goes toward maintaining the wide canals that we are "allowed (in your mind)" to navigate? And if like you say "narrow boats for narrow canals", can I ask what you were doing on the GU? It's a wide canal after all icecream.gif

Edited by Bettie Boo

My daughter has mooring in Barby Marina. She has electricity, water, internet cable connection. a fenced off plot of land (lawn) and a shed. The photo's in earlier posts do make it seem a little bleak. That is deceptive because most of the marina is hidden from view from the cut. There is an island within the marina with grazing alpaca's. It is a short walk to the Sports Club bar which is pleasant and thare is a pub in Barby not very far away.

Security appears to be good. (entrance gate always closed} and every time I have visited by car someone always appears, to enquire who you are.

Development progress is a little slow, but steady.

My daughter and her partner are extremely happy there.

Edited to add: - forgot to add she also has free pump out facilities.

Edited by Radiomariner

• 1 month later...

Pulled into Barby Marina today. A bit windy but no one can help that. We wanted gas and diesel and some water.

We pulled in. Saw a diesel pump near a shed. On one around. Saw a moorer and shouted over if they sell gas and diesel to non moorers. He said yes over there and pointed towards the far end of the marina. I asked which way we go. He then said moor near the diesel pump. We did. Got off the boat onto the unmade surface which IS like a building site.

So, no signage,directions or indication that they sell anything.

We left without spending a penny in cash or otherwise!

Martyn