Help/advice on boat security

Paul Dudman

Featured Posts

Hi,

Looking for help and advice with regards to boat security. I'm working on a shortlist of narrowboats to buy to become a liveaboard but because I'll be on a CC license and living in London I'm finding I need to upgrade the security on the boat quite a bit.

I know it's a very open ended question to ask on my first post but what are the top 5 things you would advise with regards to boat security?

I have done all my research, gone through all the forums etc. but I just wanted to run this by any experienced boaters just to make sure I haven't missed anything.

Also any contact details of people that do carry out this type of work, preferably in the London area, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any help or advice,

Paul

portholes only - max 11''

steel doors front and rear

no cratch cover (hides front door giving xxxx's time to jemmy open)

get to know your neighbors

mud weight on offside (ropes cut/undone, the boat won't move)

That'll do for a start

CC in London?

portholes only - max 11''

steel doors front and rear

no cratch cover (hides front door giving xxxx's time to jemmy open)

get to know your neighbors

mud weight on offside (ropes cut/undone, the boat won't move)

That'll do for a start

CC in London?

Good quality padlocks on all doors and hatches when you leave the boat, but not when you are aboard, you may need a quick exit in an emergency.

No matter how good your security, a determined thief will get in, it's a matter of making it as difficult as possible for them.

Edited by Beaker

Hi Paul,

and welcome to the forum.

There are the best, and most logical methods of reducing the risk of being prey to the 'light-fingered' brigade...

Don't leave anything of any obvious value in view, you should have steel doors, with decent locks, there are a number of alarm systems available (and of course, some can now alert your mobile instantly) - though - if you like dogs, I'd consider keeping a big hound (providing your working hours allowed) - for dogs are regarded by many as being good deterrents .

Before you irrevocably commit cash to narrowboat - you should be aware that CC'ing 'in London' is likely to become more difficult in the (possibly near) future.

Have you a 'plan B' contingency should your 'plan A' need reviewing?

Edited by Grace & Favour

Your boat doesn't have to be the most secure on the canal, just more secure than the boat moored next door ;)

In all seriousness, have you looked into CCing around London? Many, many, many people are trying to do just this, with varying interpretations of the admittedly vague guidance from CRT about how far you should travel. There is apparently very, very little space. I heard somewhere that an average of two boats a week turn up trying to do just this.

If they want 'in'..they'll get in...

Battery powered angle grinder makes short work of locks..and nobody takes much notice of alarms.

If its an alarm..that phones you up..that is nice..you can work out what will be gone by the time you get back to the boat..or the police manage top locate it !

I had a CCTV recording system...but the scrotes look for them...I had some photos uploaded to my phone..showing them with hoods on putting up two fingers to the camera..before they stole the CCTV system !

Best way...only have cheap stuff on the boat...so when its stolen..you can easily replace it.

As has been said..mud weight for when they untie you..or worse..just cut your ropes and steal them..

I find the cutting ropes more worrying..as it brings knives into it. I had mine cut in Islington..

My five tips for security ?

Cheap stuff..cheap stuff....cheap stuff....cheap stuff..cheap stuff..

Others have already given opinions about CC in the area...

Edited by Bobbybass

maybe get one of those small light boxes that give the impression of a tv being on.cant hurt if you have the power.

I used to leave the inverter on at night..and run a small lamp with an energy saving bulb..and leave a gap in the curtain...so you could see light..but no chairs/people etc. The bulb/inverter hardly used any power.

I guess you could use a LED..

Thank you very much for all the advice and the very friendly welcome.

With regards to being on a continuous cruisers licence in London I totally agree with you that this is not an ideal situation to be in. Unfortunately needs must at the moment. I'm lucky in the sense that I am not entirely tied down to London and so can navigate a little bit outside for the weeks when I don't need to be there for work. I'll be on the look out for a cheap permanent mooring but just have to see what comes up.

On the security side of things my own list is matching up pretty well with the fourms suggestions. Common sense and investment in full steel doors back and front, window bars welded on etc and "the best locks you can afford". I like all of the other suggestions too and a dog as a companion was always going to be a must for me, even better if it helps with security.

I was always attracted to living on a canal boat because of the community aspect I have heard about and experienced briefly myself just chatting to people on the cut and now on this fourm. So part of me feels really guilty that the first thing I am having to sort out is how to steer any thieving scumbags away from my boat and on to the next easier target...

If only everyone was as nice a boaters....

I guess once you have accepted that there "will" be a time that someone will gain access to your boat you can start to already put a mental plan of action in place and prepare for it.

My rented flat was broken in to a while back so I fully aware of what that feels like.

Thanks again for the advice, much appreciated .

Thank you very much for all the advice and the very friendly welcome.

With regards to being on a continuous cruisers licence in London I totally agree with you that this is not an ideal situation to be in. Unfortunately needs must at the moment. I'm lucky in the sense that I am not entirely tied down to London and so can navigate a little bit outside for the weeks when I don't need to be there for work. I'll be on the look out for a cheap permanent mooring but just have to see what comes up.

On the security side of things my own list is matching up pretty well with the fourms suggestions. Common sense and investment in full steel doors back and front, window bars welded on etc and "the best locks you can afford". I like all of the other suggestions too and a dog as a companion was always going to be a must for me, even better if it helps with security.

I was always attracted to living on a canal boat because of the community aspect I have heard about and experienced briefly myself just chatting to people on the cut and now on this fourm. So part of me feels really guilty that the first thing I am having to sort out is how to steer any thieving scumbags away from my boat and on to the next easier target...

If only everyone was as nice a boaters....

I guess once you have accepted that there "will" be a time that someone will gain access to your boat you can start to already put a mental plan of action in place and prepare for it.

My rented flat was broken in to a while back so I fully aware of what that feels like.

Thanks again for the advice, much appreciated .

Hi again..

Good luck with all your plans..

Although I had 'lock down' plates that I could use over the windows..I was still always wary that I may need to get out in a hurry.

It has always seemed to me..that a narrowboat fire will spread rapidy..and a speedy exit is essential.

That produces a difficult balancing situation...security versus escape route.

Metal side hatches are good..but you some kind of quick release ...just in case..

I think the 'small porthole' is a good idea..but then again..think 'escape' for yourself.

I think 'big dog' is good..maybe a giant Budweiser.

. I heard somewhere that an average of two boats a week turn up trying to do just this.

It's a lot more than that, now. I feel very, very fortunate to have a mooring here and very very worried that it'll go up so much I won't be able to afford it anymore. If that happens, guess what I'll do? (Although I wouldn't spend my time in London, it's not my idea of fun).

Hi again..

Good luck with all your plans..

Although I had 'lock down' plates that I could use over the windows..I was still always wary that I may need to get out in a hurry.

It has always seemed to me..that a narrowboat fire will spread rapidy..and a speedy exit is essential.

That produces a difficult balancing situation...security versus escape route.

Metal side hatches are good..but you some kind of quick release ...just in case..

I think the 'small porthole' is a good idea..but then again..think 'escape' for yourself.

I think 'big dog' is good..maybe a giant Budweiser.

it would be a compromise in security but maybe if you were to leave the plates open on the offside.

wouldnt mind seeing a pic of these lock down plates.

I think the trick is not to go overboard with security.

If someone sees a boat with loads of locks, alarms and other devices they will tend to think that there is something worth stealing in there.

Make your boat secure by all means but discreetly.

In London, they do tend to go for the easy to break into boats, though. Some are just too easy as well.

I'd consider fitting stuff on the inside - know quite a few boaters who have had wooden doors protected from the inside with metal bars and bolts, also designed so you can get out of the boat in a hurry.

Isn't it such a shame,such an awful fact of life That we have to lock/barricade our.home/boat in such a way to pursue our chosen lifestyles..it almost would make the boat user feel like they are in prison for the night.

The difference being, you have to pay for that privilege/experience Ofcourse!.

Thanks again for the continuing advice, much to think about.

I know what you mean about making the boat look "overly" well secured. I guess less is more but just make sure what you have actually does the job.

As far as a dog goes it would always have to be a Jack Russell for me. To my knowledge nobody has ever actually convinced a Jack Russell that they are NOT a big dog! ..........small dog, big attitude.

Does anybody have an idea of prices on how much it would cost to have the front wooden doors and windows replaced with steel? I'm getting quotes come back in the region of £600. I was thinking a more economical option could be to have security grilles welded over the doors and window?

Part of me is really happy that with the advice from the forum etc. I'll be "able" to make my boat as safe and secure as possible and the other part of me is really sad that I "need" to make my boat as safe and secure as possible so I totally understand where you're coming from on that point.

Thanks again for the continuing advice, much to think about.

I know what you mean about making the boat look "overly" well secured. I guess less is more but just make sure what you have actually does the job.

As far as a dog goes it would always have to be a Jack Russell for me. To my knowledge nobody has ever actually convinced a Jack Russell that they are NOT a big dog! ..........small dog, big attitude.

Does anybody have an idea of prices on how much it would cost to have the front wooden doors and windows replaced with steel? I'm getting quotes come back in the region of £600. I was thinking a more economical option could be to have security grilles welded over the doors and window?

Part of me is really happy that with the advice from the forum etc. I'll be "able" to make my boat as safe and secure as possible and the other part of me is really sad that I "need" to make my boat as safe and secure as possible so I totally understand where you're coming from on that point.

To be honest im not sure i would be happy with grilles over my windows and doors. Its supposed to be home not a prison.

I know it's a very open ended question to ask on my first post but what are the top 5 things you would advise with regards to boat security?

Don't use padlocks, 'they' can see no-one home. Use steel doors/mortice locks, only the keyhole visible.

If not using portholes, fit 'drop-in' (not functional per se, but very visible deterrent) bars across the inside of your windows.

.....and as above, Light, Radio & no covers

Edited by OldGoldy

Don't use padlocks, 'they' can see no-one home. Use steel doors/mortice locks, only the keyhole visible.

I agree with OldGoldy about padlocks. If you have padlocks on all your doors you can almost certainly guarantee that there is no-one on board.

Another thing: the number of times I have seen an impressively chunky padlock on a weedy hasp is no bodies business. I reckon you could get through 90% of them with minimum hand tools in seconds......

Another thing with padlocks: what is to stop some mean horrible person using his own padlock to lock you in / out of your own boat?

Edited by mattlad

We have a padlock on the slide that only comes off when we are moving the boat, we have the entrance at the front and the slide is so designed that we can open the doors even with the padlock on so seeing a padlock is no guarantee the the boat is empty.

We have a padlock on the slide that only comes off when we are moving the boat, we have the entrance at the front and the slide is so designed that we can open the doors even with the padlock on so seeing a padlock is no guarantee the the boat is empty.

Okay your boat is probably the exception that proves the rule! :-)

I've made a slight edit to my post........ ;-)