Illness and Crisis

jodansgang

Featured Posts

If your family cannot keep down water for any length of time, or have very severe diarrhoea or any blood coming up/passing out, they need to go to A&E. As well as dehydration, there is also the loss of electrosalts and minerals. Can they suck on ice cubes and keep that down? Do you have access to bottled water rather than from the water tank, on the off chance that the water in your system is the problem or the water is harbouring something nasty?

Keep an eye out for high temps too, and of course, do what you can to implement barrier nursing protocols in terms of hygiene and cleaning up. It will probably be a short-term thing over in a day or so like most things, but you cannot be sure - anything that causes dehydration, sickness and diarrhoea for more than 24 hours can be very debilitating and possibly dangerous, as well as of course transmissible. Depending on how bad it turns out to be/ if you find out what it is and the method of transmission, binning the bedding for new might be wise anyway.

If you are having problems finding enough bedding, first stop- do you have a first aid kit in the boat or car? This may have a space blanket in it that can help. Remember that layers are also good, layered clothes, spare duvet covers (even without duvets) coats, blankets etc.

Even if you are going to see how it goes overnight, please think about if you know where your mooring location is to direct people to if you need help later on, and that you have a phone signal for if you need help. You obviously have internet signal, so I would assume so- if not, someone here can surely phone for help on your behalf if you let us know.

Edited by Starcoaster
  • Greenie 3

Sounds like Norovirus, same thing that has affected a number of cruise ships and hospitals. I'm no medic but I believe that it soon passes. Just make sure to be vigilant in hand washing and general hygiene, otHerwise it will spread to the remaining crew member!

I picked up norovirus when it swept through the college I was working in a few years ago. I was on the boat, on my own, moored in the middle of nowhere. Too ill to do anything - could hardly move - for days and days. Got very dehydrated and couldn't keep water down, too weak to walk so couldn't do anything boaty meaning I quickly ran out of electricity (this was before my new batteries and before I had solar panels - so I had no phone or laptop and no neighbours), then ran out of water, no food (although I wouldn't have been able to keep it down even if I had any). It was the only time on the boat I've been genuinely concerned about myself and felt utterly incapacitated.

Sorry to hear they're poorly but I'm pleased they've got you around. smile.png Look after yourself so you're not the next to catch it. Sips of water are better than glugs and less likely to be brought back up - at least not in its entirety. And if you really are concerned - especially about dehydration - phone an ambulance. As bad as the bug was, it didn't worry me half as much as not being able to do anything for myself, being very aware that I was deteriorating, and being on my own in that state. They've got you. They're not on their own. And neither are you. So take care and ask for help if you need it.

Edited by BlueStringPudding

If your family cannot keep down water for any length of time, or have very severe diarrhoea or any blood coming up/passing out, they need to go to A&E. As well as dehydration, there is also the loss of electrosalts and minerals. Can they suck on ice cubes and keep that down? Do you have access to bottled water rather than from the water tank, on the off chance that the water in your system is the problem or the water is harbouring something nasty?

Keep an eye out for high temps too, and of course, do what you can to implement barrier nursing protocols in terms of hygiene and cleaning up. It will probably be a short-term thing over in a day or so like most things, but you cannot be sure - anything that causes dehydration, sickness and diarrhoea for more than 24 hours can be very debilitating and possibly dangerous, as well as of course transmissible. Depending on how bad it turns out to be/ if you find out what it is and the method of transmission, binning the bedding for new might be wise anyway.

If you are having problems finding enough bedding, first stop- do you have a first aid kit in the boat or car? This may have a space blanket in it that can help. Remember that layers are also good, layered clothes, spare duvet covers (even without duvets) coats, blankets etc.

Even if you are going to see how it goes overnight, please think about if you know where your mooring location is to direct people to if you need help later on, and that you have a phone signal for if you need help. You obviously have internet signal, so I would assume so- if not, someone here can surely phone for help on your behalf if you let us know.

Greenie Starry for giving sterling advice rather than just yelling "call 111"

To the OP it's horrible when these bugs strike - we suffered a few while our son was growing up and all of Starry's advice is spot on. Clearly on a boat it's worse because of the limited bedding - the advice to have a few sleeping bags in reserve is sound.

I hope you all feel better in the morning.

Bear in mind that I am not a doctor- or a human nurse! "Take advice from the veterinary nurse, what could possibly go wrong... Now, does anything need neutering around here?" :D

Getting advice from NHS Direct or some other official channel (although I think, but may be wrong, that NHS Direct is now defunct? Martin may know) is also sound advice.

Bear in mind that I am not a doctor- or a human nurse! "Take advice from the veterinary nurse, what could possibly go wrong... Now, does anything need neutering around here?" biggrin.png

Getting advice from NHS Direct or some other official channel (although I think, but may be wrong, that NHS Direct is now defunct? Martin may know) is also sound advice.

aye but what do I know eh? ;)

I can't fault the advice you gave at all Starry but as you correctly point out there are 'proper' ways to get advice and support in a situation like this hence my directing the OP towards 111. They will ask the right questions normally using a computer based algorithm and assess if anybody needs urgent help and arrange for it or direct the person to it.

111 is replacing NHS direct and the transfer should be complete by March next year. It is to be said a service that is having it's fair share of problems, one of them being that it tends to be quite 'risk averse' and it often sends patients to hospital who it subsequently transpires may not have needed to have gone there. Given that it is supposed to be taking pressure of A&E rather than potentially increasing it this is deemed somewhat ironic.

That said if it was me or my family my preference would be that they err on the side of caution rather then leave somebody in danger.

Edited by The Dog House

Greenie Starry for giving sterling advice rather than just yelling "call 111"

To the OP it's horrible when these bugs strike - we suffered a few while our son was growing up and all of Starry's advice is spot on. Clearly on a boat it's worse because of the limited bedding - the advice to have a few sleeping bags in reserve is sound.

I hope you all feel better in the morning.

The reason I 'yelled' ring 111 was because it was pretty clear to me the OP was under a degree of stress and was unlikely to be taking on board any medical advice being offered in an internet boating forum. We also don't know how old his son is (which 111 would ascertain) this being quite an important piece of information in a situation like this. We also don't know about any other symptoms such as headache or fever or the colour of his son's vomit all of which are important. In short we are ill equipped to give reliable advice hence my saying he should make that particular call.

It's up to the OP of course if he has heeded that advice.

The reason I 'yelled' ring 111 was because it was pretty clear to me the OP was under a degree of stress and was unlikely to be taking on board any medical advice being offered in an internet boating forum. We also don't know how old his son is (which 111 would ascertain) this being quite an important piece of information in a situation like this. We also don't know about any other symptoms such as headache or fever or the colour of his son's vomit all of which are important. In short we are ill equipped to give reliable advice hence my saying he should make that particular call.

It's up to the OP of course if he has heeded that advice.

Absolutly correct to yell "111" for all the reasons you stated, all the Forum's best advice and intentions count for nothing against sound Medical advice afterall a "mminor bug" could well have been something very serious

Phil

Mate, my heart goes out to you. Dont be a hero, get some help.

I am sure it will all be ok in a few days.

I had a couple of days like that, years ago; two children under five and my wife 6 months pregnant all projectile vomiting. I was just about coping until I started to feel a bit rough and joined them! Thing is, we all laugh about it now.

All the best.

I'm at Rodley on the L&L. If it continues RLWP it's taxi an Leeds General mate.

That's too far away for me to be of any help

Can anyone near Rodley pop around to Lucy Annie to offer bedding, food, water, taxi rides, sound advice?

Richard

No Dog, just trying to rationalise this and I suppose make things better, like I want to stay in control so to speak. I've give the boy calpol but then he was sick, I've give him water, sick. Panic was starting to set in a bit but I think I am level now. Will give the situation another 30 min then see.

SO how is it all this morning? I hope they are all ok (and you too).

Blimey, i hope the OP and family are ok too.. I'm afraid that after my experience of this nasty virus i now carry several sachets of Dioralyte (sp?)..

Once in the early 90s i decided to park up in a pretty but deserted bit of a welsh mountain for a few weeks in winter to get some "head space".. luckily i'd stocked up with coal beforehand. However, by the time the poor dog had brought me back to consciousness by repeatedly jumping on the bed and licking my face (poor thing was desperate!) the burner was out and there was ice on the inside of the bus windows, i was covered in sweat and.... feathers!?

It seemed in my fevered thrashings i'd managed to split my feather duvet - i really thought that it was down to the hallucinations!

Luckily i was pretty tough in those days, got the burner lit and recovered in a couple of days... Pretty scary stuff though..

Do hope Jodansgang r ok...sad.png

Rodley

Richard

Just checking coz there is a Ripley in North Yorks though some way away from his last known location and not on the network - I thought you were perhaps privvy to some more/different info.

Is there anyone close enough to perhaps call by and check on the situation?

Janet

Sadly we are not on the boat at the moment as it is not that far from our mooring by car and it would be easy for us to have done.

Guys we are okish. Little one and the missus are completely wiped out. Got my other son off to school, he's ok. Binned all the bedding. I'm just about hanging on. I feel quite ill myself. You guys are lovely.

Did you check with school before sending him? - they may have preferred he didn't come in as he could be incubating something.

Guys we are okish. Little one and the missus are completely wiped out. Got my other son off to school, he's ok. Binned all the bedding. I'm just about hanging on. I feel quite ill myself. You guys are lovely.

That's a relief, I was getting worried since we hadn't heard from you.