Illness and Crisis

jodansgang

Featured Posts

Guys we are okish. Little one and the missus are completely wiped out. Got my other son off to school, he's ok. Binned all the bedding. I'm just about hanging on. I feel quite ill myself. You guys are lovely.

Is there anything that you need?

Richard

Firstly please can I offer you kind people a deep hearted thank you. RLWP, Dog, Beak, Star all OF you and especially 8 Legs I am completely overcome with emotion having received your offers of help, advice, care, support, and even plain old down to earth matters of fact.

You amaze me, all of you. Humanity has a home in all of your hearts and now you in ours.

Kez, my 10 year old projectilist has slept most of the day along with Jo, my wife. The vomiting continued long after his little tummy was empty, it was awful. He hasn't been sick all day and has managed to eat a pear and half of a cheese sarnie. Fluid was off the menu last night, although he did sip a bit of water upto falling asleep.

Jo hasn't yet been sick but she really isn't well. She saw the doctor yesterday afternoon and he prescribed her antibiotics for her chest, which he said has an infection.

Kieran, 12, so far, has shown no signs of anything wrong.

I ran out of power at around midday and have since parted with my stomach contents and have slept for much of the afternoon.

This morning I was able to buy 3 new quilts, 4 pillows and 3 packs of bedding. I have also bought lucasade and bottled water, oh and flash spray.

Last night it was lashing it down with sleet and at first light I realised that the gas had run out! Today I bought gas.

We've been living on Lucy now for 9 months or so and I have to admit, I, at times, last night, wondered to myself what the hell ever convinced me this was a good idea. I was just about overcome with panic and to say I felt like a very bad Dad and Husband is an understatement. I felt useless, frightened and stupid all at the same time. My children covered with coats as blankets and rolled up clothing as pillows seemed almost Dickensian. I am a man, just a simple man. I have no real experience of what to do in a time of crisis or medical emergency. I mean, what is 111? What happens if I ring 111? God only knows.

That's where you lot come in. Thank you. All of you.

It was night and in the depth of the darkness I was able to see your light.

Dan.

Glad the OP seems to be gaining a little strength and management of the situation. A while back we got hit by the bug....one kid after the other....wife and all 3 kids....Man it was rough going....not fun at all. It did seem to only last about 48hrs and then things improved.

Yes, living in a boat does make a person feel less in control when things go wrong, but after you have lived through a few crisis, I guess you become less worried about it.

My gas ran out this evening. Luckily it was at the end of my wifes shower, not mid way. ..and we have shorepower and an elec kettle till tomorrow.

Firstly please can I offer you kind people a deep hearted thank you. RLWP, Dog, Beak, Star all OF you and especially 8 Legs I am completely overcome with emotion having received your offers of help, advice, care, support, and even plain old down to earth matters of fact.

You amaze me, all of you. Humanity has a home in all of your hearts and now you in ours.

Kez, my 10 year old projectilist has slept most of the day along with Jo, my wife. The vomiting continued long after his little tummy was empty, it was awful. He hasn't been sick all day and has managed to eat a pear and half of a cheese sarnie. Fluid was off the menu last night, although he did sip a bit of water upto falling asleep.

Jo hasn't yet been sick but she really isn't well. She saw the doctor yesterday afternoon and he prescribed her antibiotics for her chest, which he said has an infection.

Kieran, 12, so far, has shown no signs of anything wrong.

I ran out of power at around midday and have since parted with my stomach contents and have slept for much of the afternoon.

This morning I was able to buy 3 new quilts, 4 pillows and 3 packs of bedding. I have also bought lucasade and bottled water, oh and flash spray.

Last night it was lashing it down with sleet and at first light I realised that the gas had run out! Today I bought gas.

We've been living on Lucy now for 9 months or so and I have to admit, I, at times, last night, wondered to myself what the hell ever convinced me this was a good idea. I was just about overcome with panic and to say I felt like a very bad Dad and Husband is an understatement. I felt useless, frightened and stupid all at the same time. My children covered with coats as blankets and rolled up clothing as pillows seemed almost Dickensian. I am a man, just a simple man. I have no real experience of what to do in a time of crisis or medical emergency. I mean, what is 111? What happens if I ring 111? God only knows.

Dan.

Sounds like you did ok! Kids in coats and blankets? No problem, they were warm, no?

I recon you'll be stronger for this experience, and at some point in the future look back and smile.. Now it's recovery time! Loads of fresh fruits and veg; watch Jo's chest and make sure she finishes the antibiotics (chest infections can turn nasty!).

You got bedding/gas/lucozade.. you really did ok you know...

All 't best..

j

<snip>

Dan.

Goodness me Dan! You can write!

Thanks for bringing us up to date

Glad that everything worked out and you can now see the wood for the trees!

It always worries me what would happen if I was sick or injured on my boat and not able to take care of myself, get water or empty the bog etc. Fortunately as a family, you can work as a team and take it in shifts being ill. :) The gas running out on top of everything else just takes the piss really, doesn't it. :D

It always worries me what would happen if I was sick or injured on my boat and not able to take care of myself, get water or empty the bog etc.

I dearly hope you would ask for help! You're easily in reach of lots of people who care about you

Richard

We've been living on Lucy now for 9 months or so and I have to admit, I, at times, last night, wondered to myself what the hell ever convinced me this was a good idea.

But thus episode wouldn't have been much easier if you were living in bricks and mortar.

Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery.

I dearly hope you would ask for help! You're easily in reach of lots of people who care about you

Richard

Thank you very much for saying so Richard, that is kind. I am a bit stressy about what I would do if something went awry with me or the boat that I could not handle on my own!

Thank you very much for saying so Richard, that is kind. I am a bit stressy about what I would do if something went awry with me or the boat that I could not handle on my own!

You are far from being alone, Starry

Richard

Ooer- that sounds a bit creepy blink.png

• Greenie 1