What spares do you like to keep aboard?

Captain Fizz

Featured Posts

As the title, what do you consider is essential to carry with you?

For me it's:

Alternator belts,

Oil filter,

Fuel filters,

Engine oil,

Stern gland grease,

Water pump,

Anti freeze,

De ionised water,

Electrical connections various.

Selection or jubilee clips.

Don't you have any fuses?

Well..pondering my own spares :

Box of PVC gloves. (Bend over)

Travelpower belt (3)

Alternator belts (3)
Oil filters (4)
Fuel filters, (2)
Engine oil,

Empty oil containers.
Stern gland grease,
Complete spare Water pump,

Marine 16 biocide and syringe.

Hand bilge pump.

Long gadget for cutting stuff from propellor.

Knife for cutting stuff from prop.

Various size funnels.

Gasket paper and punch set.

Spare Eberspacher boiler and glow plugs

Polyplumb pipe end STOPS and a few meteres of polyplumb 15mm pipe.

Old alternator (replaced by more powerfull model)

Box of assorted rubber 'o' rings (from cheap shop)

Bottle brushes for clearing rain gullies at back.

Various lengths of wire.

Lots of paper kitchen roll.

Cheap nappies for dropping into the bilge to absorb oil and water.

Helping hand gadget..for getting nappies back out of bilge.

Magnet on a stick for getting nuts and bolts dropped into bilge.

And...a ton of other stuff...

Bob

Anti freeze,
De ionised water,
Electrical connections various.
Selection or jubilee clips.

Far to many spare bits n bobs & thingy's to list,& seldom find what I want,when I need it.

But it always amazes me how if someone els wants a left-handed what's it,I can find it instantly.

Then when I need it,I forget I gave it to Mr Blogs a week ago,& haven't replaced my replacement,,Sound familiar ?.

As well as the sorts of items already mentioned, these days we've a spare alternator. I've just fixed a failed one quite cheaply thanks to RSAutosparks in Loughborough. There wasn't time to get this done in February when it failed in a location where I couldn't find a suitable repairer, so we got a new one from Beta.

I've also just got a new diesel lift pump, since the old one has been leaking slightly. Apparently the things can't be repaired! Ridiculous. I shall put the new one on before the old fails and keep that as a backup.

The spares one keeps seem to increase in number like this as the years pass! It does do wonders for the peace of mind knowing you have spares handy for key items like these, especially if they are acquired cheaply.

Like many I have a few basic spares (belts, filters, oil etc). I do have a reasonable tool kit (e.g. spanners / sockets to fit every fastening on the boat) and a reasonable knowledge about how all of the systems (which I designed and installed) and their components work. I work on the principle that I can then jury rig the boat till I can get to somewhere where I can get the spares I need. It's worked well as a plan for 10 years.

More a tool than a spare, but after our water accumulator sprang went flat this summer, we now carry a bicycle pump. It doesn't cost much or take up much room, but it does allow you to keep an accumulator with a leaky bladder working until you can get a replacement.

MP.

Most of what others have said, plus self-amalgamating tape. Duck tape etc. I do have a lucky dip box full of things like nuts, bolts, crimps and other odd things that have been thrown in there over the years. It has been invaluable on a few occasions. Most of the stuff I carry has never been needed, but if I threw it away?

Cal doesnt your engine have any fuses on the lump itself? i ask as out petrol has its own dedicated fuse/relay box on top of the engine, the rest of the boat is on trips.

It has three relays with trip switches/reset buttons on them. Never had to use them.

It is a diesel as well ohmy.png

Now I am no longer doing coastal passages my spares are minimal just some fuses and belts that's it.

If I need anything else it can always be delivered

Our theory is if something major or expensive breaks we can get it posted to whichever port/harbour we end up in. Failing that the boat can be stuck on a trailer and brought home by road.

You cant carry spares for all eventualities.