What spares do you like to keep aboard?

Captain Fizz

Featured Posts

Our theory is if something major or expensive breaks we can get it posted to whichever port/harbour we end up in. Failing that the boat can be stuck on a trailer and brought home by road.

You cant carry spares for all eventualities.

I used to carry an excessive amount spare pumps, full set of hoses, filters, alternator, just about eeverything needed, we did have a hose go in the Thames estuary just changed it there and then. On the canal there is no need.

Yes indeed

I find WD40 works brilliantly at protecting the electrics on my bike against heavy rain, particularly when sprayed into the ignition switch

And Plusgas is excellent for freeing off seized mechanicals

I wouldn't use either for the opposite purpose

Yes indeed

I find WD40 works brilliantly at protecting the electrics on my bike against heavy rain, particularly when sprayed into the ignition switch

And Plusgas is excellent for freeing off seized mechanicals

I wouldn't use either for the opposite purpose

Actually wd40 is pretty poor stuff these days whatever you spray it on its doesnt last, duck oll is on the other hand good stuff.

When i was a kid im sure wd40 was more oily.

It has three relays with trip switches/reset buttons on them. Never had to use them.

It is a diesel as well ohmy.png

Cal yes sorry i knew it was a diesel from reading your other exploits, was just being nosey ref fuses, i might have a look at changing mine to the trip type.

I've got loads of stuff onboard left over from my fit-out plus spares I've bought and never used. I've got loads of various nuts and bolts, hoses, cable, conduit, etc, etc. I can't get rid of it in case I need it, but if I had somewhere else to store it that would be nice.

Edited by blackrose

I've got loads of stuff onboard left over from my fit-out plus spares I've bought and never used. I've got loads of various nuts and bolts, hoses, cable, conduit, etc, etc. I can't get rid of it in case I need it, but if I had somewhere else to store it that would be nice.

My spares shed (the joys of having a quayside) is a scary place to delve into for the same reason... I don't like throwing anything away I might need!

Omg ! Lots to learn for me!! Not sure I even know what some of these things are! I thought my Swiss Army knife would fix everything? But then I am a girl..one that wants to learn tho! :-)

Most important is a basic tool-kit +mole-grips, even if you can't use it a passing mechanic will!

NB, I taught my ex-wife to change a wheel on her car but a passing bloke always did it for her - even if she had to explain how to do it!

As well as gaffa tape you need a couple of sizes of galvanised iron wire and some fast epoxy resin adhesive.

Empty beer cans can be useful but even better when full to bribe / reward the above mechanic.

Alan

I think the only thing you would need in your tool cupboard,would be,

A stereotypical scantily clad Swedish beautie,holding a six pack of cider on one side.

And a similar appealing oiled male pin up type the other.

Thease can be deployed appropriately to summon help,for most eventualitys !.

Infact this may be a Sugested amendment 'solas' ect.

Empty beer cans can be useful but even better when full to bribe / reward the above mechanic.

I was once rewarded just so, after stopping to help a motorist who couldn't get his old moggie going (I was on my pushbike). There was a pub not two miles down the road and he bought me a pint... Several hours later, after being very well rewarded, I had to use my bike as a prop to walk home!