Engine Problems

junior

Featured Posts

Did you ever get round to cleaning out the oil sump strainer??

Remember when I went through your manual after the unsuccesful oil filter hunt and showed you the diagram of the bit you needed to clean??

Erm........

I remember the conversation so I will reacquaint myself with the diagram tomorrow.

Well, diagnosing from a distance - always a dodgy process - have you got an air leak?

Every time you change the filter, you bleed the system and it's OK again.

And this is a crap way to fix an engine - get an expert in.

Richard

Well, diagnosing from a distance - always a dodgy process - have you got an air leak?

Every time you change the filter, you bleed the system and it's OK again.

And this is a crap way to fix an engine - get an expert in.

Richard

You could be onto something.

So I took your advice and phoned Ralph Kitts the engineer.

First thing he suggested was that I check all the little rubber washers in the fuel filter assembly in case one was faulty and letting in air.

So I took it all apart and then when I looked at the diagram to put it all back together I noticed one was in the wrong place. The tiny one that is supposed to go at the very bottom UNDER the spring, was in fact ABOVE THE SPRING. So there was nothing in the bottom of the bowl where the bolt goes through it to make a seal and stop air coming in too.

It's too late to go anywhere now but I'll be off for a test drive as soon as it's light.

The easy solution is always found last wink.png

Having said that, my Lister ST3 leaked diesel from the filter banjo joins, and didn't seem to suck in any air. Did you have any diesel leakage from the pump?

Another good question was the lift pump filter. It is a good indication of what goes towards your main fuel filter. Have you cleaned/inspected it, and what was it like. My filter was regularly full of crap, but I did check/clean it almost every time I started the engine.

The easy solution is always found last ;)

Having said that, my Lister ST3 leaked diesel from the filter banjo joins, and didn't seem to suck in any air. Did you have any diesel leakage from the pump?

Another good question was the lift pump filter. It is a good indication of what goes towards your main fuel filter. Have you cleaned/inspected it, and what was it like. My filter was regularly full of crap, but I did check/clean it almost every time I started the engine.

Sadly the majority of suggestions were things that were beyond my capabilities, such as the fuel lift pump etc. If it isn't solved by my re-jigging of the fuel filter assembly today, then I'm giving up and taking it to a proper mender. Hopefully he'll check all the things people have suggested to me on here that I haven't been able to do myself.

the lift pump filter is easy. just unscrew the srew on the top, lift off the top cover, the gauze filter is under there. You pop up the filter, in nesecary, and clean out the pump with some cotton sticks. easy. That's why I did it almost everytime I started the engine. Well, most times.... well, very often anyway...blush.png

• Greenie 1

I know everyone is dying to know that I FIXED MY ENGINE.

One of the small rubber washers that comes with the fuel filter was in the wrong place within the fuel filter assembly. It was above the spring, when it should have been below it. How this caused so much palaver I'll never know. Also how the problem developed in the first place is a mystery.

Engine has now been running fine for 2 days (touch wood), however I have been left with an excessively smokey exhaust. I'm taking ot to a professional for a service, so fear not there will be no more requests for internet based diagnostics*.

*I reserve the right to withdraw that comment when my next problem arises.

• Greenie 1

Don't know why the Quote button doesn't work for me now for Junior's post #60 but, just a word of caution about your conclusion. You naturally assume that the problem is with the incorrectly located washer that you moved. However, don't forget that by the replacement of several fuel filters you have also changed other things such as other sealing washers (you have haven't you?) and it may be one of these that was the problem rather than the mis-located one.

One fuel filter problem that I have heard of before is with the typical Delphi 296 style of fuel filter assembly. A mate of mine used a pattern part filter and ran into problems with lack of power after a short time culminating in the engine virtually dying. This was eventually traced, after several filter changes, to the very small O ring that sits under the head of the long bolt that holds the whole assembly together. This pattern part O ring wasn't sealing properly and let in air on the suction side of the fuel pump. When a genuine Delphi 296 filter and associated parts were fitted the problem was cured.

Just a thought.

Roger

Don't know why the Quote button doesn't work for me now for Junior's post #60 but, just a word of caution about your conclusion. You naturally assume that the problem is with the incorrectly located washer that you moved. However, don't forget that by the replacement of several fuel filters you have also changed other things such as other sealing washers (you have haven't you?) and it may be one of these that was the problem rather than the mis-located one.

One fuel filter problem that I have heard of before is with the typical Delphi 296 style of fuel filter assembly. A mate of mine used a pattern part filter and ran into problems with lack of power after a short time culminating in the engine virtually dying. This was eventually traced, after several filter changes, to the very small O ring that sits under the head of the long bolt that holds the whole assembly together. This pattern part O ring wasn't sealing properly and let in air on the suction side of the fuel pump. When a genuine Delphi 296 filter and associated parts were fitted the problem was cured.

Just a thought.

Roger

That is exactly the O ring that cause me the problems. I've no idea though if i have a Delphi 296 fuel filter assembly.

I have moved the O ring from between the bolt head and the bowl (so on the outside of the bowl) to the inside of the bowl underneath the spring. This seems to have cured the lack of power problem, but at the end of my crusing day today i checked and i have a very slow drip of fuel coming off the underneath of the bowl, plus a very dirty exhaust.

I'm convinced it's these washers causing the problems so i have an engineer coming out to me first thing in the morning to have a look over the whole system.

How was the flow of cooling water today? Are you getting a steady flow or is it steam still?.....I would get your chap to check this as well....I'd still be tempted to change the water pump impeller if in any doubt.....much easier to do it at your leisure than on a fast flowing river!

Cheers

Gareth

That O ring underneath the head of the through bolt is usually vital to prevent an air leak if the filter is on the suction side of the pump.

Google 'Delphi 296 fuel filter assembly' to see examples of the various complete filter and filter replacement kits.

Sorry, am having massive problems getting this forum to work normally; can't quote a previous reply and now can't link a url to what I want to show.

Roger

I'm taking ot to a professional for a service, so fear not there will be no more requests for internet based diagnostics*.

If people weren't happy trying to help with other people's problems, they wouldn't bother. So feel free to keep the requests coming.

This, in fact, is the best aspect of the forum.

And do try the "running hard" advice before you spend too much on calling out engineers. It works more often than not.