How much do/should boats wobble?

twelveeyedfish

Featured Posts

Hello all,

I have been on quite a number of boats over the last couple of years but this week I was aboard a boat I was looking to buy. It's the shortest boat I have ever been on but that's not a huge concern. What I noticed about this one is that it wobbled left to right quite a lot. It wasn't the current causing this but me moving around on the boat could make me stagger a little as it shifted.

It doesn't look like it's laying badly in the water, just a shade unstable. It's also been afloat for around 20 years so it's unlikely to be broken. No water in the bilge.

The boat is not especially empty although it's quite possible the water tank has been drained since it has been unoccupied. It is parked right up against a number of other boats roughly perpendicular to the waterflow.

What are the thoughts on this. It puzzles me a little.

Hello all,

I have been on quite a number of boats over the last couple of years but this week I was aboard a boat I was looking to buy. It's the shortest boat I have ever been on but that's not a huge concern. What I noticed about this one is that it wobbled left to right quite a lot. It wasn't the current causing this but me moving around on the boat could make me stagger a little as it shifted.

It doesn't look like it's laying badly in the water, just a shade unstable. It's also been afloat for around 20 years so it's unlikely to be broken. No water in the bilge.

The boat is not especially empty although it's quite possible the water tank has been drained since it has been unoccupied. It is parked right up against a number of other boats roughly perpendicular to the waterflow.

What are the thoughts on this. It puzzles me a little.

More details please. it would help immensely to know what kind of boat it is.

Cheers

Tim

What sort of boayt is it? NBs tend to "sway" a bit as you move around them (displacement hull flat bottom) Wooden hull (prob semi-displacement) will move a bit likewise semi-displacement GRP boats. Planing hulls will move more still, but the beam of the vessel is also a factor, the wider the beam the more stable the boat for any given hull form. Not going to get into multi-hull, or cathedral hulls

Phil

And it'll wobble erm a trifle more too if too much hot water was added to the jelly if the builder guessed the amount and not bothered to read the instructions on the little box. It could fade too if it is made from a red strawberry or raspberry jelly.

I didn't get some of those jokes but as long as you all enjoyed them!!! Haha.

It's a narrowboat. It was tied to the bank at the front and had very loose ropes arranged relatively randomly down the side and the rear to the boat next door which was also not really moored to much although that was a massive boat! No wind to speak of.

As I mentioned, I have been on lots and lots of boats in the last couple of years. Not noticed swaying as significant as this. I realise it's difficult to comment on without being there but I regard narrowboats as pretty stable.

I didn't get some of those jokes but as long as you all enjoyed them!!! Haha.

It's a narrowboat. It was tied to the bank at the front and had very loose ropes arranged relatively randomly down the side and the rear to the boat next door which was also not really moored to much although that was a massive boat! No wind to speak of.

As I mentioned, I have been on lots and lots of boats in the last couple of years. Not noticed swaying as significant as this. I realise it's difficult to comment on without being there but I regard narrowboats as pretty stable.

You haven't told us how long the boat is and whether it is flat bottomed or a V hull ( I am assuming it isn't round bilged as you call it a narrowboat). ....also have you an approximate idea of the draft of the boat?

Flat bottomed narrowboats are usually very stable in still waters, deep drafted ones more so. V hulls tend to be less stable as they usually have less ballast and a higher centre of gravity.

Is it a Springer?

Edited to add - Others have replied muck quicker and given similar answers.

Edited by PhilR

There are some boats around with unusually heavy cabins - we recently came through some locks with a small boat that was 5mm steel throughout, don't know why it was built that way but the owner remarked it rolled quite a bit.

Certain H&L boats have this tendency as well - the "Marlin" is a short boat at 30 feet and has a marked tendency to roll, just like a Springer.

No, there's nothing unusual about the boat, the roof is clear, the hull is a usual flat bottom thingy. Apparently then this boat just sways a lot. Definitely not a Springer - I'm not looking for an antique wink.png

If you slacken the mooring ropes and plunge down with your foot with all your weight upon the gunwale to heel the boat over and then quickly jump off, the boat should right itself quite briskly if its a stable boat. If it very slowly and sluggishly rights itself its unstable for whatever reason.

yes, my old boat 68' long and 7' wide, would list according to load and trim, but not rock. Penny's 40' boat (also flat bottomed) on the other hand, rolls everytime you move about.

My new boat, a 30' wooden motor sailor, doesn't roll much at all though. Perhaps the bilge keels have something to do with that...captain.gifboat.gif

yes, my old boat 68' long and 7' wide, would list according to load and trim, but not rock. Penny's 40' boat (also flat bottomed) on the other hand, rolls everytime you move about.

My new boat, a 30' wooden motor sailor, doesn't roll much at all though. Perhaps the bilge keels have something to do with that...captain.gifboat.gif

The tides out............

Tim