How often do you use your boat.

helen g

Featured Posts

We have had are boat for 10 years now. This year we have Hardly used it with one thing and Another. It's Frustrating as its so much to have a boat. So there the question how often do you use your boat.

This year we have only had weekends on it due to work and family . Not sure if we should sell and get a smaller boat .

We have had are boat for 10 years now. This year we have Hardly used it with one thing and Another. It's Frustrating as its so much to have a boat. So there the question how often do you use your boat.

This year we have only had weekends on it due to work and family . Not sure if we should sell and get a smaller boat .

We once got to a similar point with a caravan and eventually sold it.

If you do not think you are getting the benefit of it sell and get something smaller or even consider selling up completely and hiring when you want to go boating.

A boat is an expensive piece of kit to be sat doing nothing' but really only you know if the use you get out of it is worth what you are paying out.

First five years we cced as full time liveaboards but due to unfortunate family circumstances we have had to leave the boat sat on its mooring in Skipton for the last three years. In that time we managed to clock up about 10 miles of cruising! Recently brought it down to Devizes in a marathon three weeks, now it's sat on new moorings waiting for us to decide what to do. If we sell we wouldn't be interested in hiring as owning our boat makes up the majority of our waterborne pleasure, so we hesitate to burn our bridges.

Edited by nb Innisfree

First five years we cced as full time liveaboards but due to unfortunate family circumstances we have had to leave the boat sat on its mooring in Skipton for the last three years. In that time we managed to clock up about 10 miles of cruising! Recently brought it down to Devizes in a marathon three weeks, now it's sat on new moorings waiting for us to decide what to do. If we sell we wouldn't be interested in hiring as owning our boat makes up the majority of our waterborn pleasure, so we hesitate to burn our bridges.

I never knew you had been so close (Skipton) for so long I wish I'd clocked this at the time.

Last year, mostly due to the weather, we hardly got out at all, and I began to question boat ownership.

This year however, we've hardly been off her, and it has been brilliant.

The record was 25 hours at the tiller one weekend to get to the Cropredy festival - loved the boating, hated the festival.

I never knew you had been so close (Skipton) for so long I wish I'd clocked this at the time.

Yes it would have been nice meeting up for a brew, unfortunately though the boat was there we weren't! We were living near Salisbury! (and still are), one day maybe if you are ever near Caen Hill Marina or Salisbury.

Yes it would have been nice meeting up for a brew, unfortunately though the boat was there we weren't! We were living near Salisbury! (and still are), one day maybe if you are ever near Caen Hill Marina or Salisbury.

We must have passed your boat at least a couple of times then without realising..a pity because it has a number of things I would have liked to have a closer look at from memory.

Where was it moored?

As decidedly none full time live-aboards up until now, I can give a fair idea how much time we have managed to be on board. often working it around Cath's (now former!) job....

2011 - 88 days

2012 - 87 days

2013 (to date) - 54 days

I hope we'll add a bit more this year, but not enough to get to previous years figures.

Next year, however!.........

As decidedly none full time live-aboards up until now, I can give a fair idea how much time we have managed to be on board. often working it around Cath's (now former!) job....

2011 - 88 days

2012 - 87 days

2013 (to date) - 54 days

I hope we'll add a bit more this year, but not enough to get to previous years figures.

Next year, however!.........

Alan are you retired? I am not sure

I just counted our usage up, and was surprised that its approaching 90 days cruising so far in 2013, with probably another 30-40 days just 'visiting' the boat (ie not going anywhere), which is non-liveaboard. We both have full time jobs too, and other hobbies.

Being semi retired and able to work from the boat our usage has increased around 150 days last year less this year but over a 100. Just managed to get out for the month of October we have been amazed how many boats are still moving more than I recall earlier in the year , July for example. Enjoyed meeting up with some old friends at Weedon last night as they headed up to the Braunston area their winter cruising site.

I live on mine, move it as and when I feel like it/or have to.

I also move extensively other peoples boats and work on them as well, so I suppose I am pretty well boat tied. Especially as when I go and see Kathy, we go out on her boat too now it's fixed and painted!!

I live on mine, move it as and when I feel like it/or have to.

I also move extensively other peoples boats and work on them as well, so I suppose I am pretty well boat tied. Especially as when I go and see Kathy, we go out on her boat too now it's fixed and painted!!

Passed yours today, no sign of life.

Same as most of the posts. I live on Abacus so I "use" it all the time. Had it for 2 years and most of it spent on the Thames around Bourne End and Eton/Windsor. Now on the GUC Slough Arm until March'ish. Retired and somewhere to go.

Not enough is my answer

First five years we cced as full time liveaboards but due to unfortunate family circumstances we have had to leave the boat sat on its mooring in Skipton for the last three years. In that time we managed to clock up about 10 miles of cruising! Recently brought it down to Devizes in a marathon three weeks, now it's sat on new moorings waiting for us to decide what to do. If we sell we wouldn't be interested in hiring as owning our boat makes up the majority of our waterborne pleasure, so we hesitate to burn our bridges.

Where abouts in Skipton were you?

We have only spent 7 nights on Theodora this year, but I would no more sell her than sell my wife! The plan to live on her will only come to fruition when we sell the house but sell we will and live on Theodora we will!

Nick