The answer!

Ian Mac

Featured Posts

Now who's giving CRT ideas! smile.png

I reckon they would be able to work out the potential of such a system themselves TBH, they possibly use something similar for their vehicle fleet already, it's quite commonly used for that purpose already by other firms and organisations like road hauliers and emergency services.

Edited by The Dog House

But the overstaying problem isn't as far as I an see, anything to do with being a CC or not. Most of the boats I've seen on my travels parked on 24 or 48 hour moorings for weeks on end have had mooring permits showing. I think we need to define what the problem actually is here before targetting specific categories of boater...

But the overstaying problem isn't as far as I an see, anything to do with being a CC or not. Most of the boats I've seen on my travels parked on 24 or 48 hour moorings for weeks on end have had mooring permits showing. I think we need to define what the problem actually is here before targetting specific categories of boater...

I don't think the OP mentioned CCers as being a particular issue?

Tim

Surely if you really want to go that way tag each boat with a device that can be logged using GPS, that would be much cheaper wouldn't it?

Not that I think it's a sound idea, just that the suggested method would be horrendously expensive to install and run.

You mean give every boat a number, and get somebody with a GPS logging device to walk down the tow path logging where the boats are? :D

What an appalling idea, I sorely hope it was only posted in the hope of fostering a discussion, rather than because you actually feel it would be a good idea.

Also, you can blow up RFID tags and readers without contact, using a small handheld device. Guess what I'd be spending the following months doing.

Actually, it would make me want to cruise further, to destroy more of the infrastructure and de-tag boats.

I think it's a great idea. We'd have no more of those "anyone seen this boat"? threads, because we'd know where everyone was at all times. You could even plug the boat locations into Canalplan (other route planners are available) so that you could choose routes like "Leamington to Stourbridge, avoiding Tawny Owl".

Why dont they just put gates at the entrance to all marinas...and charge anyone who wants to leave the maria a hefty sum. Those who never travel, wouldnt pay anything at all. That would be much easier to implement, and it would decrease all those horrible boaters that are moving around the canals upsetting all the fishermen and cyclists.

I have known the OP for a lot of years, I know also that he has a background in computing and electronics ( as well as old boats). RFID systems can be made very powerful, in terms of collecting information about individuals whereabouts etc.

I don't think Mac is being entirely serioustongue.png

Bill

That is its index number. The licence number is a different number on the licence disc.

Howard

Interesting, thanks. I don't believe that the "registration number" of a car is the official terminology either - isn't it something like "registration mark"?

I think it's a great idea. We'd have no more of those "anyone seen this boat"? threads, because we'd know where everyone was at all times. You could even plug the boat locations into Canalplan (other route planners are available) so that you could choose routes like "Leamington to Stourbridge, avoiding Tawny Owl".

But why would anyone want to avoid Tawny Owl!!!!

There's usually caketongue.png And always tea.

Sue

Well we had our first tap on the boat sides from a CART warden for not displaying a number or licence after 5 weeks on the water LOL

He was more worried about us not displaying the number as it's their only way of correctly identifying a boat. He also made it clear to us it was a requirement and visible from both sides of the boat.

Our licence had been delivered in another county so we had not picked it up so not displayed. He was little bothered as, as long as he has the boat Number he can check licence details through that.

Quite right. Civilisation came to an end when we were forced to have number plates on cars. That meant people could tell who we were and where we went. Life hasn't been the same since. Which brings me back to names. It is just unacceptable that we are forced to have names. I said when they were introduced that it would be the thin end of the wedge.

I have known the OP for a lot of years, I know also that he has a background in computing and electronics ( as well as old boats). RFID systems can be made very powerful, in terms of collecting information about individuals whereabouts etc.

I don't think Mac is being entirely serioustongue.png

Bill

hmmmm, so that has effectively, and more importantly, scuppered the opening post's sincerity. So, you are implying that he wrote it as a bit of a wind-up? Or are you just hoping it so?

hmmmm, so that has effectively, and more importantly, scuppered the opening post's sincerity. So, you are implying that he wrote it as a bit of a wind-up? Or are you just hoping it so?

Perhaps , I am digressing.......

CRT have recently spent several hundred thousands on tracking devices for their road vehicle fleet, so they can better manage use and mileage wastage. Good, you might think, but couldn't that have been achieved by better management( by the managers) rather than electronic means, at no extra expense? This is at the same time as they are asking for donations and volunteers to maintain the canals. Did you really want your donation (of money or time) expended on an internal management problem?

I inferred that I /thought/ it was a wind up.