The answer!

Ian Mac

Featured Posts

Cancel the HS2, use the dosh to fix our canals and reverse Beeching's cuts SIMPLES!

Hoorah! The voice of reason!

I suppose you's like all those little Cambrian Railways and Taff Vale branches to be reopened with the HS2 savings?

Why such a timid and tentative approach? The big problem is money? Then as we are dispensing with all considerations of statutory restraints, why not address this in one fell swoop?

We are told that boaters only contribute 30% of the authority’s income – which currently is itself inadequate to the purpose of preventing waterways decay; for now then, let’s just quadruple ALL boat licences. That will put us firmly in the preferred customer category, fund further big-brother schemes such as in the OP, enable more attractive employment contracts for enforcement teams, and just possibly even allow for some maintenance to be done as well.

If the system is still decaying after ten years or so of such increased income, the licence fees can be boosted again – but across the board, please.

Although £4000 is probably a bit steep, I think there is good logical reasoning for the fee's to be more expensive than they are. For those that choose to CC, it's not going to get any cheaper, fuel is going to go up, cruising will go down, apart from those with money and time will be afforded that luxury, eventually. People can still CC, just will not be the cheap option. More residential moorings, more marinas maybe.

Edited by Rusty Shackleford

So, why don't they just update the 1995 Act to get it up to date? Too simple?

Further to my previous response giving two reasons why CART don’t ‘update’ the 1995 Act, I have just discovered a third – they have no power to do so, unlike their predecessor.

Under Schedule 1 of the Transfer of Functions Order 2012, Parliament removed from those of BW’s powers that were to be transferred to CART, the power [under s.17 of the Transport Act 1962] to promote or oppose Bills.

It stands to reason upon reflection; if the House of Lords so strongly demurred at CART having powers to promote secondary legislation, the power to promote primary legislation would have been unthinkable to them. We should be thankful for small mercies.