The answer!

Ian Mac

Featured Posts

Well fed up with the discussions on whether I'm an continuous cruiser/moorer. I don't understand why C&RT have not just stepped in and enforced the existing mandated rule that we all have to have their provided index plates affixed to our hulls, only they provide new ones, which would all have RIF built into them. As part of the BSS you have to have RIF plates which works, so it then takes a max of 4 yrs for everyone to have one. Then it becomes very easy.

You cruiser past point A, they log you, you cruise past point B, they log you, if point A and B are set correctly then they can calculate if you spent excessive time on mooring Alpha, etc. and charge you accordingly. If you wish to stay a long time at point Alpha then its your choice you just pay more. You have to have either a direct debt with C&RT or a bond you have to give them when you license you boat, which is debted. If they wish to free up popular moorings, then they implement a price scale accordingly this can be done seasonally, or however the owners see fit, no one need worry, we can continue to have free 24hr/48hr/2 week moorings, its automatic, you choice, not to move your boat, you get charged if you don't, it is all so simple.

It doesn't cost a lot to implement. 4000 sensors about the system to start with, and you get your new set of plates for free at you next renewal. So that's 100000 plates, say 3 million for the lot, including basic software, they would easily make that back in fines in the first year in my estimation, so its self funding the prices can be adjust to make it so. Remember C&RT are providing a service they to not have to allow you onto their waterway. Personal security, they have to have a court order to release the info about where you are to a third party. This system is only the same as the insurance scheme the DVLC/Government now run on the public highways spotting illegal motorist. All the rules and legislation exist. Problem solved!

It also means that a simple hand held device can spot a unlicensed boats, and those boats which need to incur additional mooring fees.

So if you wish to plod up and down the same 10 miles of canal around Knottingly is cost twopence ha'penny and if you wish to do the same thing on the western K&A it cost £1000. Simple supply and demand. This can be adjusted per length to raise income/usage as they desire.

--

Cheers Ian Mac

Well fed up with the discussions on whether I'm an continuous cruiser/moorer. I don't understand why C&RT have not just stepped in and enforced the existing mandated rule that we all have to have their provided index plates affixed to our hulls, only they provide new ones, which would all have RIF built into them. As part of the BSS you have to have RIF plates which works, so it then takes a max of 4 yrs for everyone to have one. Then it becomes very easy.

You cruiser past point A, they log you, you cruise past point B, they log you, if point A and B are set correctly then they can calculate if you spent excessive time on mooring Alpha, etc. and charge you accordingly. If you wish to stay a long time at point Alpha then its your choice you just pay more. You have to have either a direct debt with C&RT or a bond you have to give them when you license you boat, which is debted. If they wish to free up popular moorings, then they implement a price scale accordingly this can be done seasonally, or however the owners see fit, no one need worry, we can continue to have free 24hr/48hr/2 week moorings, its automatic, you choice, not to move your boat, you get charged if you don't, it is all so simple.

It doesn't cost a lot to implement. 4000 sensors about the system to start with, and you get your new set of plates for free at you next renewal. So that's 100000 plates, say 3 million for the lot, including basic software, they would easily make that back in fines in the first year in my estimation, so its self funding the prices can be adjust to make it so. Remember C&RT are providing a service they to not have to allow you onto their waterway. Personal security, they have to have a court order to release the info about where you are to a third party. This system is only the same as the insurance scheme the DVLC/Government now run on the public highways spotting illegal motorist. All the rules and legislation exist. Problem solved!

It also means that a simple hand held device can spot a unlicensed boats, and those boats which need to incur additional mooring fees.

So if you wish to plod up and down the same 10 miles of canal around Knottingly is cost twopence ha'penny and if you wish to do the same thing on the western K&A it cost £1000. Simple supply and demand. This can be adjusted per length to raise income/usage as they desire.

--

Cheers Ian Mac

So what would you do with the CCers who are found not to comply. Also do you think the set up cost for that could really be reclaimed by extra fines (if that's the way you'd pay for it).

Quite apart from the underestimation of the cost of siting 4000 RFID reader stations about the network (data and power connections where none currently exist) how long do you think they would last before they succumbed to either the local scrotes or disgruntled boat owners who resent being monitored in such a way?

Flaw in the system, I just take the plate with RIF and cycle down the towpath to register my movements.

You're going to be very fit and your movements should be regular.

" We have noted, at the CRT office, that Robbo has had a regular movement today".

This kind of system is economical to set up on the road as there are several millions of vehicles (most paying tax). As there is relatively a small number of boat owners who dont comply, it simply doesnt justify the setup cost for this on the waterways. By the way, if someone tried to fiddle tbe system by cycling with a plate they had better keep below 4mph or they could get done for speeding.

My understanding is that the name and licence number must be "visible" (not legible) from both sides.

Just looked in the CRT licencing section. It just says index plates must be kept on the boat, nothing about them being visible. Also no rules about how signwritten index numbers are painted. You'll probably find that we will get mandated electronic tags implanted before boats do...damn...didn't want to give CRT any ideas...

Quite apart from the underestimation of the cost of siting 4000 RFID reader stations about the network (data and power connections where none currently exist) how long do you think they would last before they succumbed to either the local scrotes or disgruntled boat owners who resent being monitored in such a way?

A point of interest. Data and power connections are at all the SCADA stations.

Surely if you really want to go that way tag each boat with a device that can be logged using GPS, that would be much cheaper wouldn't it?

Not that I think it's a sound idea, just that the suggested method would be horrendously expensive to install and run.

dunno - my cat doesn't seem to mind, and he hates being belittled.

I've just looked after someone's cat for a fortnight and I was ever so tempted to belittle it; scratching the bedroom door at some unearthly hour of the morning for a feed. Smart enough to know there was a mug staying at the house, but readily forgetting that it had been fed five minutes earlier.