Cheapest place for side fenders anyone?

Zayna

Featured Posts

I've lost two this week, and not in locks or cruising with them down, they just got caught on pilings and our boat has those cheapo cr*p fender eyes that disintegrate soon as look at them.

I have also found a couple in the past so that kind of cancels it out but I'm on the losing side rather than the winning side at the moment.

Ta.

I've lost two this week, and not in locks or cruising with them down, they just got caught on pilings and our boat has those cheapo cr*p fender eyes that disintegrate soon as look at them.

I have also found a couple in the past so that kind of cancels it out but I'm on the losing side rather than the winning side at the moment.

Ta.

Depends what you want really - last fenders we bought were from a guy selling them from a passing boat on the T&M.

Bluddy sick of having to delete double quotes.

Edited by The Dog House

Ta.

You can make your own very cheaply from say a foot or so lengths of heavy gauge hose pipe. Feed the securing rope through it and tie knots underneath to stop the hose dropping off.

I saw some adjustable rubber lined metal fender line clips that fit on square section handrails many boats have. The owners of the boat I saw them on mentioned they had bought them from the rope shop at Braunston marina. When I enquired there earlier this year I was told their supply had dried up. Anyone know if they are still available anywhere?

Thanks guys, I was wondering if you could make your own. I like to have the rope fenders for when we're safely moored but the pipe ones seem to be the ones to get lost. And yes, I have lost one in a lock but not last week. I cannot for the life of me get my chap to cruise with them lifted up, he insists on having them down. Can't be bothered to argue over it anymore.

Thanks guys, I was wondering if you could make your own. I like to have the rope fenders for when we're safely moored but the pipe ones seem to be the ones to get lost. And yes, I have lost one in a lock but not last week. I cannot for the life of me get my chap to cruise with them lifted up, he insists on having them down. Can't be bothered to argue over it anymore.

I take it that your side fenders hang from below the gunwale. If you hang them from the cabin top they will normally just roll along and up the lock wall and away clear unless there are any recesses like lock wall bricks missing that they may get caught in. If you keep a good look out especially in and around locks you can rescue other peoples fenders and use them, as someone else has probably now done with yours. What goes around comes around.

We have been through 4 fender eyes, so we now use the roof rail clip on ones mentioned by By'eck.

Midland Chandlery were doing a pack of four pipe fenders and as its Freaky Friday on the 4th Oct you should be able to get them cheap.

We need to replace ours. I have found the hard rubber ones the best.

Quite thick rubber with a rope threaded through and a large washer stopping the knotted rope finding its way back through. We have a mixture of rope and rubber ones at the moment. I always get confused as to what rope is better for keeping its shape so made the decision to go for rubber.

Midland sell them and they have a Freaky Friday on 4th October. Order by phone on the day if you can't get there and collect later.

Martyn

Edited by Nightwatch

In over 25 years I have never had to buy one. There are always rope ones floating about, from people who have lost them.

Earlier this year I was thinking to myself that I could do with one of those circular rope fenders, to pad out my stern fender which has squashed slightly - and just 2 hours later one came floating past.

You can buy rope fenders from here http://www.brocross.com/iwps/images/pdfs/sales.pdf Postage would appear to be free if you spend more than a tenner and you would be helping restore/maintain Bugsworth Basin at the same time.

Side Fenders Poly 10mm Rope 15” £5.00
Side Fenders Poly 12mm Rope 15” £5.50
Side Fenders Poly 12mm Rope 18” £6.00

Don't seem a bad price to me and looked ok last time we were there. Unfortunately we didn't need any fenders at the time.

Then make him pay for the replacements, that will soon change his mind.

Ours are made from old 2.5 inch compressor hose cut to 18 inch lengths. Pretty durable stuff. There are 4 strands of 10mm rope threaded through the centres knotted on the bottom and the loops remain sticking out the top for connection to fender eyes.

Cost nothing as I got the hose free. You can pick it up a scrap yards sometimes.

The best fenders I've ever come across were 2" Hydraulic hose from great big diggers, lots of rubber with a nice bore for rope.

Tell him to buy the new onesclapping.gif

I was fed up with losing side fenders, what I do now is, I take about a metre of thin twin thread one end through the fender ( hard rubber) and attach it to the washer at the bottom then coil it around the hanging rope and tie it off on the boat eye.

When the fender snags the main rope breaks and the fender falls away the safety line then catches it, just pull it up after the boat has cleared.

Works for me!

I was fed up with losing side fenders, what I do now is, I take about a metre of thin twin thread one end through the fender ( hard rubber) and attach it to the washer at the bottom then coil it around the hanging rope and tie it off on the boat eye.

When the fender snags the main rope breaks and the fender falls away the safety line then catches it, just pull it up after the boat has cleared.

Works for me!

Good idea. Consider it stolen.