Whats is a hobbler

Ian Mac

Featured Posts

Whats is a hobbler? and where does the term originate from?

I think I know, but its not a term I had ever come across before the other day so I thought I'd throw the question open to the mass brains of the forum to check. So as not to mislead you I won't say yet what I believe it to be, other than it was traditionally used I believe in Wigan area, and maybe in other places - please advise.

--

Ian Mac

awaiting a varied set of responses.

Poco eat your heart out

and now I've spent ages on Google it would appear Jim Shead knows the first part of the answer, as I suspect a member here does :)

They are for attaching a horses legs together to restrict movement so that they don't wander off too far. They make the horse hobble instead of walk so I would think that is why they are called hobblers.

Edited by Delta9

The only form of hobbling I have come across is a way of restricting the movement of horses legs so they can't run so I would assume a hobbler is either the equipment to do it or the person putting them on. However I have only ever heard them referred to as hobbles.

Hi

In my native Black Country, a hobbler was someone who helped boaters work flights of locks, often a vagrant or someone who had fallen on hard times.

Dave

This is what I also know a 'hobbler' as, although I wouldn't like to say whether it is a Black Country term (I am originally from Birmingham and that is where I heard it first).

A Hobbler is a person who works your locks for a small reward.

When we did the Wolverhampton flight behind Goliath I noticed that he had the assistance of a Hobbler on a pushbike, so would this be a hobbler wheeler, a wheeler Hobbler , or a wobbler????

...........Dave

The only form of hobbling I have come across is a way of restricting the movement of horses legs so they can't run so I would assume a hobbler is either the equipment to do it or the person putting them on. However I have only ever heard them referred to as hobbles.

Perhaps this is the root of the term "hobby-horse" - a horse that doesn't actually go anywhere as I understood the term to mean...

Perhaps this is the root of the term "hobby-horse" - a horse that doesn't actually go anywhere as I understood the term to mean...

It is more likely to derive from the word Hobby a middle english word for a small light horse or possibly a breed of Irish horses now extinct.

I see no reason for mods not to take part in the cut and thrust of discusion.

Just because other mods have taken a back seat I see no reason for G&F to. I'd miss his eloquence if he did, anyway!

MtB

Just when I threw my parka away as well......