Which waterproofs?

grannykins

Featured Posts

Been out on our little cruiser recently and had a day and a half of really wet weather. During this, I found that my waterproof jacket actually isnt. It may just about be shower proof. The trousers werent quite as bad. Which waterproofs would any of you people recommend for actually keeping one more or less dry?

Thanks

Go on eBay or to an Army surplas store and buy a set of Army issue Goretex jacket and trousers. I have used this stuff in the worst conditions possible and it's always stood up to the task. It will be cheaper than any off the shelf waterpro8fs too. If you buy the latest issue (I.e., issued withing the last 2 years) it should come with zips on the lower leg to enable getting on and off without having to remove footware.

For just standing on the back of inland boats a cheap Packa-Mac and a good old fashioned dustbin lid on the head will repel water from trickling down your neck, by drilling two holes in the top a shock cord chin strap can be attached and the bonus is they have a nice carrying handle. closedeyes.gif

Also good for fending off burglars and arrows, also as a riot shield for quelling riots.

Edited by bizzard

Go on eBay or to an Army surplas store and buy a set of Army issue Goretex jacket and trousers. I have used this stuff in the worst conditions possible and it's always stood up to the task. It will be cheaper than any off the shelf waterpro8fs too. If you buy the latest issue (I.e., issued withing the last 2 years) it should come with zips on the lower leg to enable getting on and off without having to remove footware.

Just watch out for bullet holes.

Its a waste of time going to Army & Navy stores for the army type camouflaged Gortex stuff, they always tell you they've got thousands of em in stock but they can't find em.

Ah yes, this is like the car tyre places who, should you call them for a tyre they don't have, quote you a stupidly low price just to mess with the heads of their competitors as they know you are likely to carry on ringing around seeking an even cheaper price, and saying what you've already been quoted...

For just standing on the back of inland boats a cheap Packa-Mac and a good old fashioned dustbin lid on the head will repel water from trickling down your neck, by drilling two holes in the top a shock cord chin strap can be attached and the bonus is they have a nice carrying handle. closedeyes.gif

Unnecessarily expensive IMHO. Nothing wrong with a dustbin liner upside down with a hole cut in the base for your head to go through, and a Tesco carrier bag to keep your hair dry. Is there??

MtB

Ah yes, this is like the car tyre places who, should you call them for a tyre they don't have, quote you a stupidly low price just to mess with the heads of their competitors as they know you are likely to carry on ringing around seeking an even cheaper price, and saying what you've already been quoted...

Unnecessarily expensive IMHO. Nothing wrong with a dustbin liner upside down with a hole cut in the base for your head to go through, and a Tesco carrier bag to keep your hair dry. Is there??

MtB

The latest mean Tesco carrier bags are more or less translucent so can be pulled completely over the head with no need to cut out eye holes to peep through, just a small mouth hole to poke a cigarette through and can be secured around the neck with a garrotte, zip tie or elastic band to stop it blowing away. Excellent if you suffer from neuralgia as they keeps the wind off your face.

• Greenie 1

I find the competitors say, "Ours are also only £5 when we haven't got any!"

I have owned several unwaterproof coats over the years.

Sometimes when it rained really hard Gillie took pity on me and went inside and let me borrow her 20 year waterproof coat.

A couple of months I got very very wet yet again so went to the shops and bought my own brand new version of the 20 year old waterproof coat!

Its made by Paramo. Not many shops stock this but "Go Outdoors" do. Also on eBay.

100% waterproof and soft and cosy, so does not restrict movement like oilskins etc.

However they do cost rather more Bizzards plastic bag.

...........Dave

You don't need to spend a fortune for waterproof clothing. I recently went on a trip to Svalbard and before going I bought a jacket and trousers in our local Tresspass outlet store.

They are waterproof, windproof and (most importantly) breathable. They were both half price and the cost was about £40 for the jacket and £20 for the trousers.

Lots more places to look, thanks, though rather attracted by the idea of the dustbin lid - if I were to fall in the cut a plastic one would float and Ray would just be able to heave me out by the handle clapping.gif - and if I also had the carrier bag over my head I wouldnt be embarrassed if anyone was looking as they wouldnt know who I was biggrin.png

Oo I love,love,love my Berghaus Deluge

overtrousers , a bit dear but should last years

and totally dry underneath in terrible rain, I need

a coat now too.

They have poppers and zip up the sides so's

you can get on/off over boots but are very

noisy so you cannot sneak up on peoplelaugh.png

eta my 18 year old self would be disgusted

that I'm in love with a pair of waterproof

trousers!

Edited by 8 Hairy Feet

I have Henry Lloyd Offshore Jacket and Trousers bought in 1995, and as good today as the day I bought them. They have kept me bone dry in torrential rain and high seas, so are well up to the job on a canal. Water just beads and rolls off. Expensive but, in £ per year, quite cheap.

I also have a Berghaus Jacket which, when worn with a Tilley Hat, have kept me dry on the helm in torrential rain.

Lots more places to look, thanks, though rather attracted by the idea of the dustbin lid - if I were to fall in the cut a plastic one would float and Ray would just be able to heave me out by the handle clapping.gif - and if I also had the carrier bag over my head I wouldnt be embarrassed if anyone was looking as they wouldnt know who I was biggrin.png

We use a to use a plastic fertilizer sack on the farm.

I agree with the poncho / cape idea, it's the lack of seams which means they stay totally waterproof for a very cheap price. Alternatively, try a fishing tackle shop, the clothing they sell is often very keenly priced (necessary when selling to grumpy old fishmen) and are also good for keeping you warm and dry when sitting next to the canal all day in the rain. Therefore they also work very well for boating.

• 2 weeks later...

You don't need to spend a fortune for waterproof clothing. I recently went on a trip to Svalbard and before going I bought a jacket and trousers in our local Tresspass outlet store.

They are waterproof, windproof and (most importantly) breathable. They were both half price and the cost was about £40 for the jacket and £20 for the trousers.

I bought a Tresspass 'waterproof' jacket last autumn that was great for the winter months ... but now leaks ... along both arms (of all places)!

• 1 month later...

The latest mean Tesco carrier bags are more or less translucent so can be pulled completely over the head with no need to cut out eye holes to peep through, just a small mouth hole to poke a cigarette through and can be secured around the neck with a garrotte, zip tie or elastic band to stop it blowing away. Excellent if you suffer from neuralgia as they keeps the wind off your face.

Yes, but how do you stop it from steaming up?