iPhone or Samsung Galaxy

Wild Is The Wind

Featured Posts

Have just smashed the screen on my phone in the door :( Have been using a Samsung Galaxy Ace to tether on the One Plan on Three which has been great, but as i've got to get a replacement should I go for an iPhone instead? Any views on which is best gratefully received.

Have had two iphones. Not really impressed, not good swimmers either. Take a look at the sony experia z. Bought one recently, one touch tethering and a really good sense touch screen. It's worth looking at.

If it is any help, my Galaxy SIII has been swimming and still works perfectly

It's also a bloody good phone with excellent features, not the least of which is that is has absolutely no connection with Apple

Richard

Me and him have been really please with our Samsung Galaxy S2 - we have one each and as they are now well over 18 months old we are about to upgrade and it will be the S3 we go for. We reguakarly use ours to tether to when on the boat.

The spec of the galaxy is so much ahead of the same level i-phone it makes me wonder why anyone buys the i-phone but I am told there are people who like to follow fashion!

Thanks cheshire rose, i agree the Samsung is a lovely phone and its good to know the newer versions work well. Do you store your music on them/have any kind of speaker system for them?

Maybe I shouldn't put all my eggs in one basket and just get some kind of iPod instead?

Just found this at canal shop on line:

DAB Radio/CD/MP3 Player- 12 Volt
£149.95
(inc VAT)
add2basket.pngfeedback_tick.png
12vradiocd.jpg

Excellent quality Micro CD player/DAB radio/MP3 Player. This neat unit allows you to receive excellent digital radio signals with clear stereo sound, or play CD's or listen to your ipod or other mp3 player.

The main unit is just 170mm wide and 280mm high and 95mm deep. The speakers are 160mm wide, 280mm high and 95mm deep.

The unit comes with a power lead fitted with a cigar lighter plug as well as a further lead with transformer and 240 volt plug. It also has a remote control. The speakers can either be clipped either side of the unit or be placed up to 2m from the unit. Both the main unit and the speakers can be either wall mounted or free standing.
Radio Antenna - Electronic

So an MP3 player - will have to look into these as well - anyone got one?

An iPhone would fit on this too, will make some enquiries about Samsungs.

The spec of the galaxy is so much ahead of the same level i-phone it makes me wonder why anyone buys the i-phone but I am told there are people who like to follow fashion!

Could you elaborate on this? My ex and I got new phones around the same time. I went for the iPhone 4, she went for the SII and almost immediately regretted it. Cheap and nasty materials, and clunky and awkward user interface, the whole experience of the phone was that of a compromise.

It has always been thus. The only way the get the best from the hardware is for the same company to write the software. This is why my mac can run rings around pcs with spec sheets showing far higher processing speeds. It's also why it's never gone wrong and never crashed in 4 years of daily use, and still starts up as quickly as the day I bought it.

People become Apple fanatics for a simple reason - they do what you want them to do. Add to that the design and build quality are streets ahead of the competition and its a no-brainer.

I will admit that smartphones run Apple closer than pcs ever have though.

• Greenie 1

I recently bought a Nokia Lumix 520 to replace an I-phone 4. At about a quarter of the price.

Not as well-mad, nor as slick. Apples are lovely.

However, it does the job better because it is very easy to organise it so that everything is just one click away.

I am impressed, and will be staying with Nokia/Windows.

If it is any help, my Galaxy SIII has been swimming and still works perfectly

It's also a bloody good phone with excellent features, not the least of which is that is has absolutely no connection with Apple

Richard

I'm with him, Galaxy S4 now (mines an S3). Krystyna has an iPhone 4S, bloomin disaster, will change it as soon as we can, and her iPad!

Mike - Android rules :)

Another vote for a Galaxy S3. It's a pain getting rid of all the bloatware, though.

Bloatware? You get uninvited bloatware and have to do stuff to get rid of it with smartphones?

This is reminding me of the endless hours one spends periodically 'mending' the stuff that goes wrong with Windows on PCs. I think I'll buy an iPhone 5 to replace my worn out iPhone 4 after all.

MtB

The problem I had with the iphone was the signal in the boat! It seems that they have now changed where they put the ariel so it should be better.

Must admit I am an experia fan and have my eyes on a z but will have to get a waterproof cover that floats as I have a habit of dropping them in the water. No good if a phone is waterproof as you watch it sink down to the bottom!biggrin.png

Well this is the electronic devices version of the 'pump out v cassette' debate.

I'm a bit in both camps having both an iPhone and a Nexus 7 (Android) tablet. Having used both Android and iOS phones over recent years my current favourite is my iPhone (4). The reason I mainly like them is the build quality, they feel really solid and well made.

However I can testify that they do not like being immersed in water - I once destroyed one falling in with it in my pocket, but lots of phones won't stand up to that.

The Android OS is more flexible than iOS in how it can be configured but the Apple iOS in my opinion is simpler and 'cleaner'.

I also like the ease with which the iPhone can be docked with things like my bedside alarm clock/radio and stereo system. (though it's annoying that Apple changed the connector when they brought out the 5).

At up grade time I could however be tempted back to Android by the Sony Experia Z it looks to be a really well built and well featured phone, and it's water resistant so is likely to survive immersion if it's in your pocket when/if you fall in. The screen resolution is also superb so if you use it for a lot of browsing and or videos I think it has the edge over the iPhone 5.

Samsung are undoubtedly good phones, I had a Galaxy Ace for a while and liked it, and their world wide sales is testimony to how good they are, it's just well, it's not an iPhone. As Cheshire~rose hinted at above there is an element of truth in them being a bit of a fashion statement.

But lastly let's not forget that Samsung have very recently been found to have infringed Apple's patents in the US -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23643700

As the saying goes "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

Edited by The Dog House

I was an Apple fan (still love the iMac) but recently bought a Nexus4 phone. This is made by LG but sold by Google.

The idea is you buy it then get a sim-only deal.

It is superb, does everything well. Battery life is excellent; in contrast a colleague has an iphone4 with miserable battery life.

I don't know if that's common.

I was an Apple fan (still love the iMac) but recently bought a Nexus4 phone. This is made by LG but sold by Google.

It is superb, does everything well. Battery life is excellent; in contrast a colleague has an iphone4 with miserable battery life.

I think like most things it depends how you use it for calls and how much browsing you do.

I can get two days sometimes three out of it before it needs a re-charge. Daughters Blackberry Bold by contrast has to be charged daily, they are renowned for having a crap battery life.

I think one of the good things about Android is the way you can configure the power usage, you can on iPhone but I think the newer Android phones have more flexibility.

Getting back to the Op's question, the Nexus4 is totally unlocked, since it is yours if you buy it.

That means tethering is fine.

Getting back to the Op's question, the Nexus4 is totally unlocked, since it is yours if you buy it.

That means tethering is fine.

That can depend on the network.

If you buy your iPhone direct from Apple it is also unlocked. The ability to tether is governed by the plan your SIM is on also.

So although a phone is unlocked it still needs to be used on as plan that allows it which in the case of Three means being on The One Plan for tethering unlimited data or if on one of their other plans buying a tethering 'add on' to get a limited amount of tethering.

Edited by The Dog House

Another vote for a Galaxy S3. It's a pain getting rid of all the bloatware, though.

I suspect that depends on your 'phone company. My SIII from Three was pretty clean. My HTC from Voda was bloated to a point of unusability

Richard