Lockie Not A Lockie.

Suzie_q

Featured Posts

This year we have had a man help up Farmers Bridge, he was like a human dynamo, he used to have a boat but when wife became ill he had to give it up, he would not take anything he just still liked to do locks, he lived about halfway up in some flats. He goes as far as top of Camp Hill. We had help from another man on the Delph flight, he just liked to help. We also had a lady at Marsworth, she had a share in a multi-ownership boat, and was loosening up for her holiday. All knew what they were doing, going ahead or closing up, not wasting water, only emptying when locks started to fill and vice versa. We only saw 2 Cart lockies and they were entrenched at the top lock at Stoke Bruerne. this was all after 600 miles and 500 locks.

Ah yes I remember the chap on Farmers Bridge locks. He helped us too.

Works in reverse too. When I single hand on the Thames, particularly in poor weather or darkness, I wear my automatic life jacket and I occasionally get mistaken for a lockie by other boaters. I think people just see the life jacket and subconsciously this telegraphs the message: 'bloke in charge'.

MtB

iN CHARGE OF WHAT mb?cheers.gif

WE met this chap at Great Haywood last month.

He is a young homeless lad and sleeps under the bridge at night.

He helped a lot of people through the lock when we were there.

I never heard him asking anyone for any type of payment and he was

pleasant enough, if not a little smelly.

We also met this guy a couple of weeks ago.

He slept on the grass next to our boat (not before he ask me if I was ok with him sleeping close to my boat). He is homeless and probably lonely. I gave him a cup of tea in the morning and we had a long chat. He did not ask me for anything and was very polite. He did not appear to be on drugs and was not pissed. He did have a hi vis jacket tied around his waist, but at no point did he say he was a CaRT volunteer.

I have come across a few people helping at locks because they are lonely or have noting else to do, they are usually elderly and mostly nobody has an issue with them. Maybe this guy needs a bit of help and understanding.

This year we have had a man help up Farmers Bridge, he was like a human dynamo, he used to have a boat but when wife became ill he had to give it up, he would not take anything he just still liked to do locks, he lived about halfway up in some flats.

Don't know if it's the same guy, but I was very glad to see him on the Farmers Bridge flight last week, being single-handed. He knew exactly what was needed, setting locks ahead for me and even coming back down to close gates behind me. All on a hot day and even more impressed to learn his age - 75! Actually I think he has something to do with 'President' - name of Tibbets?

All of this in contrast to the two volunteers on the Boseley flight who put me through the top lock then left me to my own devices - no objection there as I've singlehanded it more than once, But the chaps at Farmers Bridge and at Marple did go the extra mile - no coincidence they were both ex-boaters.

BTW I congratulated the lad at Great Haywood on his enterprise and gave him 50p. Sorry if this offends anyone.

There is another unofficial volunteer on the Northampton flight named Leon. He also shared his life story. From the northeast fell on hard times, ended up in York selling the Big Issue until his tent was stolen and then hitched a lift as far as Rothersthorpe services.

He spends half his time doing the locks and the rest helping and watching the rat race of the M1. He was very knowledgeable about which pounds would be low and which locks leak. Again, he asked for no payment. He lives in a barn and was pretty adamant "If my friends in the NorthEast could see me now they wouldn't believe it". I was quite wary at first but he seems harmless enough.

• Greenie 1

Ah yes I remember the chap on Farmers Bridge locks. He helped us too.

There is another unofficial volunteer on the Northampton flight named Leon. He also shared his life story. From the northeast fell on hard times, ended up in York selling the Big Issue until his tent was stolen and then hitched a lift as far as Rothersthorpe services.

He spends half his time doing the locks and the rest helping and watching the rat race of the M1. He was very knowledgeable about which pounds would be low and which locks leak. Again, he asked for no payment. He lives in a barn and was pretty adamant "If my friends in the NorthEast could see me now they wouldn't believe it". I was quite wary at first but he seems harmless enough.

Leon, the guy on the Northampton Arm was a bit of a laugh and very helpful to us last year. He took us both down and back up again a few days later. Polite, talkative, and liked a drink, well, a fair bit of actually, but no problem.

The chap on Farmer's Bridge may have been Jim Shead of Waterways Information fame. he helped us up both Aston and Farmer's Bridge last year.

Bob

He was around when we stayed at the top of the Northampton arm flight earlier this year.

As you say I think he liked a drop but happy with it. It was warm and so he was wearing a (short) "kilt" there also so seemed to be remnants of underpants dangling from underneath too. Each to their own!

We were too early for him to get help going down the flight the next day but he helped a young Portuguese woman later in the morning who moored nehind us in the evening. She was quite a character too!

We met the man in question last week. He offered help and was very pleasant, but a tad grubby. He just chatted, and payment was never mentioned.

He did come across as a bit 'special'. He said he helped people through the locks from 6am until 10pm, then he walked the towpath at night to keep the bad guys away.

To me he seemed harmless enough.

Another chap set locks infront of us at Stourbridge. He worked his arse off in the burning sun, so I gave him the price of a beer.

(Earlier in the year I was a bit concerned about a bloke sitting next to Office Lock in Leeds, rolling his fags, and Swigging Stella at 10am. Turns out he was just sitting by the lock as it was the only place he could get piece and quiet, away from the hassle of the rest of his life!)

He was around when we stayed at the top of the Northampton arm flight earlier this year.

As you say I think he liked a drop but happy with it. It was warm and so he was wearing a (short) "kilt" there also so seemed to be remnants of underpants dangling from underneath too. Each to their own!

We were too early for him to get help going down the flight the next day but he helped a young Portuguese woman later in the morning who moored nehind us in the evening. She was quite a character too!

We met Leon a few weeks back; he was most helpful and we shared lunch at the top of the flight; by no means drunk although volunteered he had a real problem. He said he would be going south for rehab. about now - about which he seemed most excited; I am also aware that some local boaters have been good to him over quite a long period.

Whist I appreciate that some people, some of the time may need to exercise caution, I would hope that mostly we can embrace these characters as we pass along.

There is another guy on the T&M as well.............at Swarkstone Lock claiming to be a volunteer lockie for CRT. Does not wear the "uniform" and no life jacket..................he did help us up earlier this year but IMO was not "trained" in any way. Just opens everything up without any communication. Could be the same guy I suppose but seems unlikely. This guy has also been reported to CRT.

me and mrs pete went through swarkstone just last week, mrs,p took the boat i worked the lock, i assume this chap at the lock is the same one you are on about, a tad chuby round the midriff one could say.

anyway i got to said lock to be greeted by him saying "im the lock keeper" as he was opening paddles before boat was in the lock, a complete a--hole and his english was no better than his locking skills!!

glad it was me working the lock and not mrs p.

me and mrs pete went through swarkstone just last week, mrs,p took the boat i worked the lock, i assume this chap at the lock is the same one you are on about, a tad chuby round the midriff one could say.

anyway i got to said lock to be greeted by him saying "im the lock keeper" as he was opening paddles before boat was in the lock, a complete a--hole and his english was no better than his locking skills!!

glad it was me working the lock and not mrs p.

got it in one!

(Earlier in the year I was a bit concerned about a bloke sitting next to Office Lock in Leeds, rolling his fags, and Swigging Stella at 10am. Turns out he was just sitting by the lock as it was the only place he could get piece and quiet, away from the hassle of the rest of his life!)

We've noticed that we're quite likely to come across chaps swigging strong lager or cider early in the morning on the towpaths than we've ever experienced anywhere else. With no alcohol policies prevalent in most town centres and public places and maybe someone at home who won't be happy to see them drinking at that time of day I do wonder if it's the only place available for someone who's got a bit of a drinking problem.

We've noticed that we're quite likely to come across chaps swigging strong lager or cider early in the morning on the towpaths than we've ever experienced anywhere else. With no alcohol policies prevalent in most town centres and public places and maybe someone at home who won't be happy to see them drinking at that time of day I do wonder if it's the only place available for someone who's got a bit of a drinking problem.

I think you may be getting confused, Ange......

What I think you are talking about here is usually known as Boaters' Banter!

• Greenie 2

Agree that actually claiming to be a CRT employee would be baaaad, but someone posed a question earlier in the thread which crossed my mind too, and that is....is it actually illegal?

The waterways are public spaces, and people routinely volunteer to help people through locks on an ad-hoc basis, which presumably no-one has any objection to - especially if they have boating experience and offer beforehand. Where is the line drawn? Someone who tells a boater that they are working for the 'waterways' is fraudulent to a point, but unless they are advising people to put themselves (or others) in danger I can't really see how he could be charged with anything. And I would think any boater who has demands for money on river/canal-side is going to know they are not CRT anyway.

It would be like me standing outside the gates of Harewood Hall with a hi-vis vest on and directing traffic to the official car park. Bonkers perhaps, but not really doing anything illegal (to my knowledge).

Of course knocking on boats in the dead of night is a different kettle of fish, but again the charge wouldn't be impersonation of a CRT staff member but rather anti-social behaviour.

I may be wide of the mark on this of course, and happy to be corrected!

I don't think there's any law of the land saying that its illegal to pretend to be from CRT. There may well be waterways byelaws and rules against it and it is obviously heavily frowned on by CRT.

As I said earlier; personally I like the idea of people helping each other through locks, provided they know what they're doing. I think CRT have a similar opinion also. The knocking on boats and claiming to be a patrol officer is going too far though, regardless of any background circumstances.

Others will probably correct me according to the written laws, byelaws, etc, but I can't be bothered with that at this time in the morning fatigue.gif.

Regards,

Lockie.

I don't think there's any law of the land saying that its illegal to pretend to be from CRT. There may well be waterways byelaws and rules against it and it is obviously heavily frowned on by CRT.

An interesting point. It made me wonder at what point does it become illegal to impersonate - say water board worker, meter reader, gas man etc?

The 'impersonation of a public official' would seem to be illegal in other countries but (police officer aside) I can't find that it is specifically illegal here.

Perhaps it would come under deception laws particularly if money is changing hands.....

Not sure TBH

An interesting point. It made me wonder at what point does it become illegal to impersonate - say water board worker, meter reader, gas man etc?

When they knock on a pensioner's door and steal their under-bed savings. Can't see anyone doing that without nefarious leanings.

Basically as soon as they use the impersonation to benefit themselves, i should think. Then there's dangerous misleading, which would be misuse of assumed (wrongly) authority.

When they knock on a pensioner's door and steal their under-bed savings. Can't see anyone doing that without nefarious leanings.

Basically as soon as they use the impersonation to benefit themselves, i should think. Then there's dangerous misleading, which would be misuse of assumed (wrongly) authority.

So isn't there a possibility this person is leading towards that sort of nefarious behaviour. The reports I have seen mention money and piloting boats.

This gives the opportunity to "case the joint" and or commit an opportunist crime. Scenario - once on board "piloting" can I use your loo, a few seconds below picks up smart phone reappears and says I nip off at the next bridge hole.

I am well aware that there are many people who are well meaning and like to help at locks (I might be one myself if I lived near a canal) but I am amazed at how it is automatically assumed there is no harm in this case.

There was a huge outcry in a recent thread about finding a man on board uninvited, to me this is potentially (from a theft point of view) similar except he has been invited on board.

OK maybe I am just a suspicious grumpy old sod.

We are often offered help at locks, sometimes people just set the locks in front of us. I usually find it's people who would love a boat if only they could or who have had a boat. I'm sure if we were unable to boat I would want to help out at locks. Although I don't carry a windlass if away from the boat I always offer to open or shut gates if I get the chance since when we are visiting anywhere we find ourselves somehow by the water. We usually offer tea or coffee and some food but this is rarely accepted. At the end of a flight we tend to offer a few pounds beer money, some seem to expect it but usually it is refused.

There used to be a man who lived on a cruiser on the Cudworth flight who liked to set a few locks for beer money but I've not seen him for a while, probably been moved on?

On the Wolverhampton 21 we were assisted by a man who I think said he had been a working boater and he helped us most of the way up but would accept no food or money.

The most annoying are people who have no idea and won't listen. At Shardlow recently a couple of men were so busy telling me about a U tube video about a dreadful woman driver that they ignored my protestations that I didn't want or need the other bottom gate opening thankyou. I thought, oh well, harmless enough until I realised they were walking away and leaving me to walk right round the lock to shut the gate instead of hopping back on board as soon as I'd shut my gate.