Daily Mail Tells The World

kevinl

Featured Posts

£80k worth of boat and they haven't got heating?

?

Duncan Lawrence, 41, pays no council tax as his boat isn't permanently moored in one place, nor does he pay water rates - and spends just £60 a month on diesel which propels the boat and provides central heating

Why is anyone even trying to pick holes in the journalism? It's the Daily Mail.

It's interesting that the article doesn't mention how much and how often they are required to move.

I wonder if it was conveniently omitted or that they aren't actually aware.....

?

Duncan Lawrence, 41, pays no council tax as his boat isn't permanently moored in one place, nor does he pay water rates - and spends just £60 a month on diesel which propels the boat and provides central heating

She said it was freezing so I assumed they have yet to work out how to switch it on (or light the burner).

Not permanently moored on a non resi pontoon & the kids go to local schools?

You have to love the DM & their half baked stories. Also, Mr Lawrence is obviously not very cute yet........... talk about not keeping your head down. You can bet his fellow moorers will be mortified when the posh Council arrive asking questions.

She says it's freezing in winter even though they have not lived on a boat through one yet? I wonder what was their drive to participate in this article?

All of that aside, good luck to them. I bet the bin lids love it. I always wanted bunk beds as a kid.

It's interesting that the article doesn't mention how much and how often they are required to move.

I wonder if it was conveniently omitted or that they aren't actually aware.....

I don't think they are CCing or at least that was my impression particularly as they listed £50 worth of electricity a month as an expense for the boat.

Ah just re read the bit about not paying council tax etc. Hmmm perhaps they are CCing (ish)

Edited by churchward

I don't think they are CCing or at least that was my impression particularly as they listed £50 worth of electricity a month as an expense for the boat.

"Meanwhile electricity, which is powered by the generator, comes to around £50 a month."

She said: 'It's freezing in winter,

How would she know anyway? She hasn't spent a winter on it yet.

They got their last big fuel bill for their house in February. By the time they've sold the house and bought the boat, winter's over.

I think if anything the article will prevent DM readers running to the brokerage. The words "cash strapped" and "freezing" will strike fear into the semi-suburban 2.4 kids nuclear family. Give up a 2nd car? You must be off your rocker.

By the time their daughter is around 15 there will be no way she will wanting to be sharing a bedroom with her younger brother!

By the time she is 15 he will be 10 and they will be breaking the law (Housing Act 1985 section 325).

Er, yes, perhaps you could go into a little more detail?

I would imagine that there are quite a lot of boaters who read the Mail - just as there are quite a lot of boaters who read the other dailers and, I hope, some who read the Beano.