Swing Bridges Single Handed

DeanS

Featured Posts

How do you do swing bridges on the L&L if you're single handing?

You moor your boat.

You open the bridge.

You're on the opposite side to the boat, so you're now stuck?

Am I missing a trick? The rain has stopped, and family still sleeping, so thought I would get going....but???

There's various ways of doing this, none of which are particularly satisfactory and some would only be practical with a narrowboat.

A few of the bridges do have landing stages on the off side now, but where they don't one way is to take a rope from the bow and haul the boat through from the landing side - easy with a grp cruiser, not so easy for you I suspect.

It is also possible with some of the bridges to "throw" the bridge open from the towpath side, then haul it shut with the chain or a rope previously attached, but again this is only really possible with a narrow beam craft.

Those who know this stretch will often wait for another boat and run them in convoy.

Many debates on this over the years, not helped by the hitherto attitude of BW that discouraged single handed boating.

Others may have more helpful suggestions.

How do you do swing bridges on the L&L if you're single handing?

You moor your boat.

You open the bridge.

You're on the opposite side to the boat, so you're now stuck?

Am I missing a trick? The rain has stopped, and family still sleeping, so thought I would get going....but???

I've posted this before but it's worth doing so again.

I traversed the L&L last year mostly singlehanded, and only had to do about five myself. Mostly (including all the road bridges) I got passers-by to do them, which with one exception they were delighted to do.

Those I did myself were farm and field bridges in the early morning when no-one was around. I tied my front rope to the bridge, went across and opened it, pulled the boat through, catching the centre rope with the boathook I had (usually!) taken with me, closed the bridge, went back over, pulled the boat in, and carried on.

That's all very well but it's a powered bridge and could you do that with a widebeam? (I genuinely don't know)

All the singlehanders I've met say they just get a friendly passer by to operate the powered bridges.

And, try holding up the traffic at Apperly Bridge for 13 minutes...

Edited by Neil2

Here's what I do:

1) If possible pull in on the operational side of the bridge

2) If 1 not possible pull in on the landing point and walk across the bridge taking your bow rope with you .

3) Open bridge and pull bow of boat over to you

4) Walk down gunwale and drive boat through bridge

5) Once just clear of bridge get off boat taking stern rope with you.

6) Close bridge, get back on boat and sail away.

And, try holding up the traffic at Apperly Bridge for 13 minutes...

Isn't that about just being sensible and perhaps choosing to wait for help or another boat at a busy bridge? You can easily assess the traffic flow as you approach if you are not familiar with a particular location.

Many of the crossings on the L&L as you will know are much quieter than there.

Dean. Earlier this summer, I did the whole of the L & L single handed.. For the SB, I used the centre rope to pull the boat through.

Over time it became a slick, quick operation..

But not with a fat boat I fear.

Good topic and great video!

I have very little experience to date of swing bridges so far and none of lift bridges. It would seem swing bridges are a little easier as at least, with bow and centre ropes to hand, you have access to your boat from the bridge to pull it through.

Lift bridges on the other hand seem more difficult as putting yourself in harms way standing between the bridge and your boat to pull it through I would think is a complete No-No in case it should fall, especially single handing.

I am slowly heading down to the South Oxford which has a few lift bridges, so I guess I will find out the best way in due course.

How do single handers deal with lift bridges?

Ken

Edited: Sorry Dean, I don't wish to hijack your topic, but it is sort of related I think.

Edited by NB Ellisiana

Hi Yes Dean las year we had the same problem with our fat boat! and if its windy it can be a dangerous past time far better to wait until helpers awake. THe deep electric locks can be dicey to 20 foot down on a wet ladder holding a boat leash in the wind a rain mmmm

Peter

Lift bridges on the other hand seem more difficult as putting yourself in harms way standing between the bridge and your boat to pull it through I would think is a complete No-No in case it should fall, especially single handing.

The traditional way is a 'Banbury Stick' - you lift the bridge deck from the towpath side and wedge a boat pole between the bank and the end of the deck, tie a length of rope to the pole, then get back on the boat, with the end of the rope, motor through, pulling the pole out after you are clear of the bridge, and let it fall shut.

Alternatively do it in the same way as has been described for swing bridges. But don't stand beneath the bridge as you do so.

Isn't that about just being sensible and perhaps choosing to wait for help or another boat at a busy bridge? You can easily assess the traffic flow as you approach if you are not familiar with a particular location.

Many of the crossings on the L&L as you will know are much quieter than there.

Of course, forgive my facetiousness.

You certainly need the safety of numbers at this bridge just to deal with the ire of motorists who have no patience. But it's not always practical. We were moored well north of this bridge one morning and a single hander had walked all the way up to us because he couldn't see how he could possible manage it solo. He had waited in the hope of another crew coming along but gave up and went in search of assistance. We walked back to help him out but even the three of us couldn't get the boat through quick enough to avert the tirade of foul language from the neanderthal types forced to wait five minutes.

As you say, fortunately most of the swing bridges are in quiet locations but I still can't see how you could get a wide beam through without help.

That is so slow - and all that hauling. There was about 4 minutes of operating the bridge and 9 of faffing about. Ihave done the L&L many times, never had trouble with irate motorists and never taken that long on a bridge. My method is similar but drive the boat through and why on earth after closing the bridge did he haul it to the towpath side?

That is so slow - and all that hauling. There was about 4 minutes of operating the bridge and 9 of faffing about. Ihave done the L&L many times, never had trouble with irate motorists and never taken that long on a bridge. My method is similar but drive the boat through and why on earth after closing the bridge did he haul it to the towpath side?

That got asked the last time I posted it and I can only guess it was an access issue.

Exactly my thoughts on the video and, as per my previous post, my method is the same as yours.

Good video but not sure how appropriate it is to hold traffic up for such a length of time.

Perhaps one of the drivers might like to get out and lend a hand......

I've actually never seen that happen... I wonder if it ever does?

Brighten up your day with a points system for stopped traffic. 10 pints for car 25 for a sports car, 35 for an ordinary van, 50 for a white van, double points if they do a handbrake turn while swearing and zooming off the other way! My other half hates it, everyone looking at and blaming her!

Some of the frustration by drivers can be justified. We often see boaters lift the big hydraulic bridges on New Junction canal much higher than they need to ~ sometimes all the way up.

Just lift them as high as you need folks please and save yourself and drivers a bit of time.

I'm a bit confused - how do you drive the boat through if you're operating a bridge single handed? Do you jump on and off somehow?

I'm a bit confused - how do you drive the boat through if you're operating a bridge single handed? Do you jump on and off somehow?

1. Get off boat non-towpath side

2. Put bridge up

3. Get on boat

4. Drive it though

5. Get off boat (non-towpath side)

6. Lower bridge

7. Get back on boat

Essentially, yes, you 'jump' (I don't jump onto my boat though) on and off. The only differences between singlehanded and 2 (or more) is that you need to use the non-towpath side and steps 3 and 5.

Brighten up your day with a points system for stopped traffic. 10 pints for car 25 for a sports car, 35 for an ordinary van, 50 for a white van, double points if they do a handbrake turn while swearing and zooming off the other way! My other half hates it, everyone looking at and blaming her!

100 points for a Roller!

I am slowly heading down to the South Oxford which has a few lift bridges, so I guess I will find out the best way in due course.

There's no problem with this on the southern Oxford any more.

No need for Banbury Sticks as all the lift bridges have been re-balanced now so they stay UP. You unlock them, open them, go through, then shut them behind you, all from the towpath side.

It all seems unnecessarily easy now!

MtB