Is Stoke Bruerne Blacksmith still in business

c c

Featured Posts

Does anyone know if Bob Nightingale is still in business / on holiday by the tunnel entrance at Stoke Bruerne? We have left messages but not getting any response.

He was, I'm sure, active at the Gala Weekend only last weekend.

I want to know if heating cherry red and quenching (I'm sure I will be told the proper name for it) Angel's rudder pin (I'm sure I will be told the proper name for it) is worthwhile to make it less brittle after 76 years of work (as I was told).

And if so - when can it be done.

Well, heating it to red heat will help to change the crystal structure of the steel, and will soften it if left to hot soak long enough. Soaking allows the growth of large crystals

Quenching it in water from red will promote the formation of very small crystals leading to a brittle surface

Is it worthwhile? Don't know. Does it show any signs of cracking or work hardening?

Will it be less brittle - yes if you heat it to red, no if you quench it from red - but I can't tell if it will be less brittle or exactly the same as it is now

When can it be done - how big is it?

Richard

Edited by RLWP

I want to know if heating cherry red and quenching (I'm sure I will be told the proper name for it) Angel's rudder pin (I'm sure I will be told the proper name for it) is worthwhile to make it less brittle after 76 years of work (as I was told).

The process is called annealing. It differs from metal to metal. For mild steel heat to cherry red and allow to cool naturally. This will soften the metal.

Does anyone know if Bob Nightingale is still in business / on holiday by the tunnel entrance at Stoke Bruerne? We have left messages but not getting any response.

I had a good look around his workshop on Sunday at the SB festival. It certainly looked to me like a real working blacksmiths rather than a museum-style display put on for the benefit of the punters.

I bought two excellently designed large rond anchors.

MtB

Why do you think it needs annealing?

If it is already showing cracks, then it will need more than just annealing.

And if it ain't broke, why fix it?

If it is already showing cracks, then it will need more than just annealing.

And if it ain't broke, why fix it?

Because:

1) I already have taken it off to replace the large washers behind the nut

2) I was advised by someone who has been on the boats far longer than I that - as you say - if it is showing cracks (which it isn't) it needs replacing but if not, annealing will make less brittle an old piece of steel that gets a lot of stress, and so less likely to fail.

Edited by canalchef

Plus there were ten million people in front of it trying to get him to pose for pictures while hammering out boiling hot metal.

The bit on the bottom of the hood says 'pork.' biggrin.png (Isss alchemical symbols for diffrunt metals and stuff really).

Edited by Starcoaster

I saw him Sunday too!

I meant to ask what all the symbols on the forge hood meant, but I got distracted....

MtB

They are the formula for annealing mild steel silly!

His microwave looks a bit past its best

His 'microwave' is a really usefull muffle furnace, though I expect you already know that. He is very good at his trade.

I've visited this man several times and got into the idea of getting the second forge alight with me to drive it. A non starter.

As for the chalk on the forge hood, get him going about religion/classics. He is very well read.

I have had the advantage of working alongside a blacksmith during my earlier days in engineering and was always fascinated with his skills. My task on weekend mornings was to use his forge to cook the lad's fry-up breakfasts. Woe betide me if ever I burst the yokes on their eggs!