UNPLUG SHORELINE BEFORE STARTING ENGINE?

jenevers

Featured Posts

Just wondered if there could be a problem if I start my engine ( alternator then starts charging batteries) whilst still plugged into shoreline (already powering battery charger). Is it OK for the batteries to be getting a charge from the alternator and battery charger simultaneously?

It has never caused me a problem. I have had engine, shoreline and solar all trying to charge at the same time. You probably end up putting in less than a smart charger on its own would!

Just wondered if there could be a problem if I start my engine ( alternator then starts charging batteries) whilst still plugged into shoreline (already powering battery charger). Is it OK for the batteries to be getting a charge from the alternator and battery charger simultaneously?

We never had a problem whenever we did this - a normal correctly set up and installed system will avoid any overcharging which is what I suspect you are concerned about.

My last boat had some bit of leccy kit affixed to the system and it was not possible to start the engine whilst plugged in to a shoreline. Lesser boat fitters should be able to do this if asked.

Tim

My last boat had some bit of leccy kit affixed to the system and it was not possible to start the engine whilst plugged in to a shoreline. Lesser boat fitters should be able to do this if asked.

Tim

I'm curious to know what Mr. Hudson perceived as the risks associated with this - aside from the obvious one of some numpty moving off with the shore power still connected of course.

I'm curious to know what Mr. Hudson perceived as the risks associated with this - aside from the obvious one of some numpty moving off with the shore power still connected of course.

I think that was and is a very real reason for doing it. If the numpty did that and the plug pulled off on the boat end then live mains power could be very dangerous. I thought it a very sensible idea and doubt if it would cost much to achieve.

Tim

No such thing on our Hudson and no problem running the engine whilst on shore power. If we turn on the TravelPower that is surely the same as running the engine whilst on shore power?

I'm sure that is the very valid reason.

I have seen a couple of shorelines destroyed by such a mistake

I understand he did/does fit such a cut-out when the electrics are left to his own normal fit included in his B or C specification.

Since Steve admits that electrics are not the top of the list of his personal skills, I imagine it was Martin, his right hand man who, suggested/engineered this system

Clearly its just to avoid motoring off with cable still attached though. Not such a bad idea for some.

I would say that any system where starting the engine whilst plugged in cuased a problem is a very poorly engineered system indeed and most sensible installations would not have a problem.

I agree it is largely a question of ones own preference and 'routine' I tend to start my engine then switch over to inverter (manual changeover) then disconnect the shoreline but that's just my 'habit'

I suppose there could be an argument that having the start battery connected to say a high power charger during cranking could mask an underlying problem with the battery maybe ?

I'm not really convinced about needing an 'interlock' so you can't run the engine whilst plugged in to a shoreline seems like 'nannyism' gone mad to me.and I can think it could be a right royal pain in the backside. i once forgot to unplug the electrics on a trailer and drove off, I've never done it again...

We have a wide beam boat nearbyhere that blew its Sterling charger up and burnt out the domestic alternator at the same time. I'm not certain of the sequence of events but the boat owners next door neighbor offered to help her take the boat for a pump out, jumped aboard in a hurry before she'd had time to turn things off and switch over from shore power to boats charging system, started her engine pulled the shore line out and that was that. The boat was only a year old, a ''Bigfish'' fit out but they had just gone bust so no guarantee apparently. She called out a boat electrician. Stirling were good and supplied her with a recon charger unit I believe free of charge ''pun'' but the charges ''another pun'' for fitting and the fitting of another alternator plus labour charges came to about £1500!!. The Sterling charger and inverter were installed in an incredibly inaccessible position needing a cupboards side to be demolished. Its been ok since, if she's left to carry out her pre-sailing routine without interference..

My shoreline is generally strapped to the stern mooring line when on the mooring, so it is unlikely I would forget it when setting out.

As a matter of course I switch off the charger before starting the engine, but that's just my obsessive mind. I tend not to leave the charger switched on when leaving the boat, having once boiled a very old battery, but I guess that's just a matter of personal preference.

We have a wide beam boat nearbyhere that blew its Sterling charger up and burnt out the domestic alternator at the same time. I'm not certain of the sequence of events but the boat owners next door neighbor offered to help her take the boat for a pump out, jumped aboard in a hurry before she'd had time to turn things off and switch over from shore power to boats charging system, started her engine pulled the shore line out and that was that. The boat was only a year old, a ''Bigfish'' fit out but they had just gone bust so no guarantee apparently. She called out a boat electrician. Stirling were good and supplied her with a recon charger unit I believe free of charge ''pun'' but the charges ''another pun'' for fitting and the fitting of another alternator plus labour charges came to about £1500!!. The Sterling charger and inverter were installed in an incredibly inaccessible position needing a cupboards side to be demolished. Its been ok since, if she's left to carry out her pre-sailing routine without interference..

Yep, no wonder they went bust.

I think the clue there is switch over from shore power to boats charging system.

There should be no need to switch over, and suggests one or both of the damaged devices was left open circuit due to poor engineering.

Edited by by'eck

I think the clue there is switch over from shore power to boats charging system.

There should be no need to switch over, and suggests one or both of the damaged devices was left open circuit due to poor engineering.

She has a little two way rocker switch on her panel, one way shoreline other way alternator. She had not time to switch this over plus whatever else 12v or mains appliances she was using when the neighbor started the engin and unplugged the landline with no warning.

Hello all, it is a question I get asked all the time. I have not encountered problems with both running and with it being DC there is no risk of being out of Phase (AC only). Modern Alternators and Smart charging systems monitor the outputs and regulate the charge accordingly so the theory being that they would share the load rather than overcharge or fight each other. Whilst I have not encountered or heard of problems with both running, I always ask to turn the mains charger off when I need to run an engine because normally I want to see what the alternator is doing and don't need the input from a mains charger.

The story of the Sterling charger and Domestic alternator burning out may well be a little difficult to comment on but I think the bill of £1500 is way over priced!!

I can envision a potential issue if a shoreline battery charger is connected to a defunct starter battery.

In this situation the starter motor may attempt to draw starting curent from the charger. This could cause a variety of traumas.

She has a little two way rocker switch on her panel, one way shoreline other way alternator.

I wonder why. I can't think of a single valid reason for needing such a thing.

Tony

Sounds like part of a Travelpower installation.

Tim

No she's got no travel-power. I think the wee switch is just a voltage monitoring switch to show charging voltages for either mains charging or alternator charging on the little digital gauge next to it.

No she's got no travel-power. I think the wee switch is just a voltage monitoring switch to show charging voltages for either mains charging or alternator charging on the little digital gauge next to it.

Hmm, that doesn't make any sense either, really. Charging Voltage is the voltage on the battery - doesn't matter a jot where it's coming from.

Tony

I can envision a potential issue if a shoreline battery charger is connected to a defunct starter battery.

In this situation the starter motor may attempt to draw starting curent from the charger. This could cause a variety of traumas.

really ? wouldn't the charger iust limit at its maximum output, blow its fuse or trip out ? Can't really see any traumas, and as I've done this loads of times with nasty cheap car chargers on cars with flat or slightly flat (ok discharged) batteries without any traumas i'm not sure why a boat would be any different....